What's new

Gang Character Development Guide

Donut

Silver Member
Amazing work man! I was going the write this but you said it all and even more!

I hate it when people want to join a gang ICly and they immediately start to RP a fully blown gang member that loves to shoot weapons and kill people. Thanks for putting this up. This deserves a lot of attention.

Queen

Bronze Member
Great guide! However, I want to bring up a point.

I think that there's no "one guide fits all" for every type of gang out there. Skinhead gangs and Hispanic gangs are different than black gangs.

Even if they're not in the gang, they're still FROM THE HOOD which warrants them respect. In fact, a lot of people who manage to not fall into the life and get out of the hood are respected.

I would say that in most cases, respectable and law abiding Hispanics and Whites would look down on gang bangers and vice versa. Hispanic in the sense that the family is usually traditional (but its 2016 folks) and religious, and going against those customs, especially for women, is viewed down upon. I'd say the feeling would be a bit mutual, even if there is a strong sense of familial ties. With skinhead gangs, they would probably be considered scum to a lot of other groups within their race. Even white nationalists look down on them as they "dilute the white race" with drugs and violence.

At the end of the day, it's up to people to roleplay what they feel is realistic. As Mark Twain said, "Truth is stranger than fiction, but it is because fiction is obliged to stick to possibilities. Truth isn't." To avoid being cliche or playing into stereotypes that happen in reality, people need to tone down their characters. A good story writer will bring all of that into mind when creating and portraying their character.

Lawson

Gold Member
The guide is really great but as Queen said, I don't believe we should all roleplay the same. Yes, I might have a character that doesn't have money to buy a pimped up Savana but another character might have gotten successful on a robbery and bought a Savana.

How you develop your character is entirely up to your imagination, just don't twist around a lot. If you are going to roleplay a respectable religious guy, don't get bored after a week and start smoking weed and cussing everyone you see in your way. Or don't roleplay bad ass characters, "BRO DO YOU KNOW WHOP THE FUCK I AM? I SERVED IN THE NAVY SEALS, ARMY, APERTURE, SP, FD, AND EVEN PEU BITCH"

paxie

Legendary Member
Queen said:
Even if they're not in the gang, they're still FROM THE HOOD which warrants them respect. In fact, a lot of people who manage to not fall into the life and get out of the hood are respected.

I would say that in most cases, respectable and law abiding Hispanics and Whites would look down on gang bangers and vice versa. Hispanic in the sense that the family is usually traditional (but its 2016 folks) and religious, and going against those customs, especially for women, is viewed down upon. I'd say the feeling would be a bit mutual, even if there is a strong sense of familial ties. With skinhead gangs, they would probably be considered scum to a lot of other groups within their race. Even white nationalists look down on them as they "dilute the white race" with drugs and violence.

I don't see how that's related at all to what the guide says. The guide says that people who don't fall into the gang life are still respected because they're from the hood. It then says that those who make it out the hood without getting dragged into the life are often respected and envied. Not the other way about. Law abiding residents of a rough neighbourhood probably do look down on gang members a bit, but they're all in the same struggle and can relate to each other's problems. No where in the guide did I say that they're all best friends, but there's a mutual understanding between those in the life and those not in the life. The life is also often idolized by gang members and fed to the youth to recruit. Either way, what that point tried to get across is that if someone lives in your hood, you don't randomly go and harass them like people on RCRP tend to do. Gang members at the end of the day are normal people.

Queen said:
At the end of the day, it's up to people to roleplay what they feel is realistic. As Mark Twain said, "Truth is stranger than fiction, but it is because fiction is obliged to stick to possibilities. Truth isn't." To avoid being cliche or playing into stereotypes that happen in reality, people need to tone down their characters. A good story writer will bring all of that into mind when creating and portraying their character.

Bit confused on what you mean by this. If you say you want to avoid being cliche or avoid playing into stereotypes, why would you tone down your character? Surely to avoid being cliche or avoid playing into stereotypes you'd try to make your character as unique as possible.

Lawson said:
The guide is really great but as Queen said, I don't believe we should all roleplay the same. Yes, I might have a character that doesn't have money to buy a pimped up Savana but another character might have gotten successful on a robbery and bought a Savana.

The guide doesn't talk at all about conforming to one type of roleplay and instead encourages diversity in roleplaying a gang banger. I'm not sure where you get the idea of it saying you should all roleplay the same.

No lick gets you enough money to buy and maintain a fully pimped out savanna. You wouldn't even be hitting licks or carrying a gun / knife right off the bat. No 13-16 year old should show up with a fully pimped out savanna, or sultan.

[quote="Lawson"How you develop your character is entirely up to your imagination, just don't twist around a lot. If you are going to roleplay a respectable religious guy, don't get bored after a week and start smoking weed and cussing everyone you see in your way. Or don't roleplay bad ass characters, "BRO DO YOU KNOW WHOP THE FUCK I AM? I SERVED IN THE NAVY SEALS, ARMY, APERTURE, SP, FD, AND EVEN PEU BITCH"[/quote]

Smoking weed is actually not an uncommon thing for youth, especially people associated with that sort of life to do. Everyone smokes these days.

Queen

Bronze Member
Paxie said:
I don't see how that's related at all to what the guide says. Either way, what that point tried to get across is that if someone lives in your hood, you don't randomly go and harass them like people on RCRP tend to do. Gang members at the end of the day are normal people.

I agree. I was just adding another perspective and a YMMV warning.

paxie

Legendary Member
Queen said:
Paxie said:
I don't see how that's related at all to what the guide says. Either way, what that point tried to get across is that if someone lives in your hood, you don't randomly go and harass them like people on RCRP tend to do. Gang members at the end of the day are normal people.

I agree. I was just adding another perspective and a YMMV warning.

Fair enough, it is a good perspective. I'll see if I can touch on it in the guide when I have time.