What's new

Concise Actions, Stronger Words & More

PackAttack

Faction Consultant
this ^^

If you can type fast then why wouldn't you type something detailed like "/me takes a cigarette out of his battered packet, before placing it inbetween his teeth and lighting it" instead of "/me lights bifta"
Concise, short /me's convey your point more clearly and quickly. They're better in my opinion, and long /me's are just running on for no clear reason. Concise and to the point is the way to go.

PackAttack

Faction Consultant
This is what it boils down to tbh, kinda a pointless thread
No... not pointless at all. This guide is a useful, in-depth guide to curious players on how to use concise actions. It's not mandatory but it allows them to understand how and why it's done.

Sinnex

Donator
tldr don't write 10 lines to open a door, use reasonable length for your descriptions

bobocrunch7

Donator
detailed RP is always a bonus imo but if youre going to butcher the english language and all its conventions while doing so just type /me sits

carsambali666

Donator
this is exactly beautiful. In my opinion to RP in the way that is displayed in this guide, makes the roleplay experience simpler, more realistic and even more enjoyable for the players. I'll try to get rid of my habit to state the songs that I'm playing in my car with a /do line soon. s/o zebby for linking me up to that greatly prepared guide.

Last edited:

GlorifiedPig

Donator
i agree with most of this guide, but i think some /mes should be more detailed. for example, i like to detail when i have a firm handshake instead of just /me shakes hands, and i like to wipe my seat before i sit down, but everything else was very well said

Reactions: lew

Khaleesi

Donator
Appreciate the comments and the award this guide got. Pretty impressive to see the community setting the standard on what they want to see.

i agree with most of this guide, but i think some /mes should be more detailed. for example, i like to detail when i have a firm handshake instead of just /me shakes hands, and i like to wipe my seat before i sit down, but everything else was very well said

Details like the ones you outlined are subjective to one's character. Whilst one may have a firm handshake some may have no grip at all and if you think it makes a point in the role-play scenario at hand to say so then by all means do so. If it also makes a point in the scenario at hand that a said character wipes a seat down before sitting then so be it also.

The guide isn't meant to dictate how one's emotes should be. It's meant to convey a plethora of situations and put them into examples. Short and to the point is just more streamlined and more enjoyable in my opinion. To break it down more clearly, I couldn't care less with which hand you take what from your pocket and which side pocket you take it out with and whatever fingers you use to do whatever you want to do unless it makes a point upon my character or unless I want to know, in which case I can ask. Otherwise it's just clogging up the chat and having "complex" emotes does not mean you're a better role player by any means.

Reactions: lew