What's new

Are anciently dead people names allowed?

Athens

Donator
Today I saw someone with the name "Oliver Cromwell", is that a famous person or does that rule only applies for living or modern famous people?
220px-Oliver_Cromwell_by_Samuel_Cooper.jpg

BigFoe

Donator
I had my name denied once because it was a guy who was 12 in the 1990's who was a backup actor in 2 shitty movies

Jacob_Smith

Bronze Member
lol Oliver Cromwell took over the throne of England by executing Charles the 6th or something like that. Right before the French Revolution.

Athens

Donator
Jacob_Smith said:
lol Oliver Cromwell took over the throne of England by executing Charles the 6th or something like that. Right before the French Revolution.

Well, some dude with the name "Oliver Cromwell" decided to apply for FD. Plus I didn't meant really ancient I meant about medieval or similar.

OutWorld

Donator
You may not name your character after a famous person.

This includes actors, movie characters, politicians, artists, athletes and so on.
We understand that people tend to have the same names in real life but it has been decided to not be allowed on the server for various reasons.

In short, it only matters if they're famous, if they lived 10 or 500 years ago or is irrelevant. (Oliver Cromwell shouldn't be allowed either unless an admin has specifically allowed it).

BigFoe

Donator
See the thing with that is though some helpers witchunt random ass names (like my example above) that practically no one knows who the fuck it is, and denies it because they dont wanna get introuble for allowing it.

Rawson

Donator
Greene said:
Google it, if it has a Wikipedia page don't use it.
using my past experience as a helper, we were told to assess whether the name is actually famous, regardless of the Wikipedia page,

for example, there's this dude's name he wants. we google it, and a Wikipedia page and he's a geology professor at the University of Cambridge or some Z list that starred in a couple box office flops - we'd allow it.

it only really comes into effect if they're an actual celebrity or known figure. people were getting sick of getting their names denied because they were "famous" psychologists and so on.

Beth

Donator
If it's like so famous most people have heard of him I'd say no? Like I pointed out your name straight away and I failed history so it must be a stand out name.

Charlie_

Donator
I highly doubt he's walking around pretending to be the republicanist barbaric revolutionary who overthrew England's monarch in the English Civil War (#ALevelHistory)

So there's not really a problem is there?