What's new

Are anciently dead people names allowed?

Jacob_Smith

Bronze Member
You know what? I have seen a player to use the name 'Sylvester Schwarzenegger'. Now that is not the name of one individual famous person but you all can smell the troll in the name. Right? :tongue:

Henderson

Retired Admin
The rule is to prevent thousands of celebrities running around. If the admins deem that a name is famous or inappropriate then we will endeavour to have the name changed. Oliver Cromwell was one of the names that I deemed inappropriate after being asked through an admin chat channel by a fellow administrator. We do tell helpers that, even if a name comes up on Google, it doesn't necessarily mean that they are famous. A lot of it is down to asking others and gauging for yourself whether or not it is famous or well-known. Players should know this rule and shouldn't be requesting ridiculous names which will instantly be recognised. We do try to discourage helpers from just taking the first sign of a name on Wikipedia or Google as a well-known individual and this has certainly changed the way that name changes are accepted in recent times.

Pekson

Donator
The thing I like to do is ask other helpers for their opinion before accepting or denying someone, for example, some guy wanted to be Tommy Silver, obviously not famous but very close to the actual owners name, which is why I asked other staff members for their opinion, we denied him due to most of the helpers online agreeing that it shouldnt be accepted.

Charlie_

Donator
I mean it's pretty easy to see if someones gonna be a troll. If they're trying to call themselves Donald_Trump, The_Queen, Tommy_Silver etc. then they're clearly trying to provoke a reaction. Names like Oliver Cromwell (maybe not this name in particular) are quite common, and it's quite hard to find names which arent associated with anybody of public note these days anyway ;p

Robin

Retired Admin
TommyB said:
tommy_silver

why.
he even said you are "obviously not famous"

how insulted are you?
ThinkstockPhotos-539684888_1280x640_acf_cropped.jpg

paxie

Legendary Member
as long as the name isnt immersion breaking it should be allowed

Deluca

Donator
It really depends to be honest. There are some famous people will really common firstnames and lastnames like John Williams who is an american composer, conductor and pianist. I would say that names which are extremely common should be fine to a certain degree also depending on how famous they are. Names like Taylor Swift or Justin Bieber however is a big no.

It will often come to the decision of the Helpers and the Administrators who is currently online while you're doing the namechange request and if Helpers and other admins are uncertain then we will discuss it amongs ourselves to eventually reach a cohesive decision to accept or deny it. This also includes if you're attempting to take a name of a deceased famous person.