What's new

(Update) Grammar and Emotes

Khaleesi

Donator
Update:

• Using "would" or "should" in emotes is completely wrong. Your character only does or doesn't. You also use would when you say "he'd" or "she'd", and that shouldn't be the case.

14cdf885e6b61d2a7eaa8999c589fc98.png

Reminder:

EMOTES (/me, /do)
Emotes are used to perform actions with your character. It shows other people what your character is doing. Players make the mistake of sometimes trying to tell their story through them, which incites meta-gaming and is wrong. Players also make the mistake of straying away from the third person (there never should be a "you" or "your" or "yours" in a /me, /do or any command that refers to others, such as the actions legal faction members do in /m (*You'd see red and white in your rear view window.*).

CORRECT USE
* Pecker Wood rocks back and forth on the chair. His hands can't stop shaking.
Skin Head says: What's wrong?
* Skin Head is wearing a suit.
* Pecker Wood displays a tattoo resembling a dragon on his right arm.
* The vehicles collided head on. There are break marks coming from behind the Tahoma, while there's smoke coming out of the Manana. (( Pecker Wood ))

INCORRECT USE
* Pecker Wood is terrified after the recent murder he was forced to commit by his friends.
* Pecker Wood is a known gangster in Montgomery.
* Pecker Wood lies.
* You would succeed. (( Pecker Wood ))
* Able? (( Pecker Wood ))

From the desk of Honorary Movie Style Role Player and Elitist Daenerys Khaleesi Targaryen XVIII, M.D.

Lawson

Gold Member
After a lengthy discussion with the other executive council members, we have decided to approve of this guide.

Possible

Silver Member
Re: Grammar and Emotes

Khaleesi said:
Small update: better title and the fact that your character's description shouldn't be done via /do, but perhaps /me or /ame.
But there's the /describe or you could say /appearance thing which automatically puts your character's description in /do.

Khaleesi

Donator

PossibleIX said:
Khaleesi said:
Small update: better title and the fact that your character's description shouldn't be done via /do, but perhaps /me or /ame.
But there's the /describe or you could say /appearance thing which automatically puts your character's description in /do.
Some people don't use that, the same way they don't use /accent. I dislike /accent and I don't use it as a result of that, per example, but I still have characters talking with a specific accent.

Possible

Silver Member

Khaleesi said:
PossibleIX said:
Khaleesi said:
Some people don't use that, the same way they don't use /accent. I dislike /accent and I don't use it as a result of that, per example, but I still have characters talking with a specific accent.
Well, i could agree with you on that cause /accent are just stupid imo and expect for trollish and newb people I don't see that many players using the command /accent but /describe thing is still popular.

Abrasive

Bronze Member
I remember when I posted one of your different guides and I got roasted by people on their period. To this day, I find myself heavily influenced by your guides and I feel there is still plenty we can all learn from this.