What's new

(Update) Grammar and Emotes

iLegit

Donator
Re: Grammar and emotes v3

Khaleesi said:
iLegit said:
Reminds me a lot of this. Strange... Was a good read though.
EDIT: I just saw that the poster of the other guide wrote your name in the credits. Well done.

I didn't realize someone posted my guide already, lol. If you compare them, I put a little effort to explain common mistakes the RC-RP playerbase struggles with (such as specifically narrowing down the way slang should be used, the fact that -.. ..- and whatever derives from that isn't a thing at all, and some explanation concerning emotes). That, right there, was done for L*-RP only. On another note, though, thanks for linking me the topic — I forgot about Douglas Nyswonger in the credits list.
No worries, man, again, well done with the guide.

Hitman47

Donator

All this time I've been doing a few mistakes like the -... which I thought is completely fine, and the "as" mistake in a /me. Thank you for pointing these things out! :thumbup:

Mollinaro

Donator

Hitman47 said:
All this time I've been doing a few mistakes like the -... which I thought is completely fine, and the "as" mistake in a /me. Thank you for pointing these things out! :thumbup:

Yeah me too

Khaleesi

Donator
Re: Grammar and Emotes

Small update: better title and the fact that your character's description shouldn't be done via /do, but perhaps /me or /ame.

paxie

Legendary Member

someone turn this into a global announcement and teach this server how to not be stuck in 2013 samp

Karner

Banned

Grammar marks are adapted for common usage;

For example, recently I've seen "~" used a lot in recent literature to emphasise an extension of the word. Turning "what" into "whaaaat" by saying "what~". As far as I recall it stems from anime bullshit but it's far more common to be used than not. It's generally accepted but isn't a written rule of grammar, same as "-.." is a recent development rather than a grammatical rule though there's a hefty amount of redundancy when there are grammatical symbols that better cover it. I'm not sure what it means but contextually it works for most people.

The accents and stuff I mostly agree with but with accents like the "British" accent. In the same accent someone can both pronunciate and ignore the "h"s in some words. For example.

" How are you doing? "
" 'ow you doin'? "

I don't believe accent and dialect are mutually exclusive. I do, however, agree that "YOU SHAWT ME YEW IDYUT". Is just... terrible. I absolutely love the information about emotes section. A lot of info that quite a few people here need to draw from. Good work.

jonathan_lai

Bronze Member

Should just keep using /accent, you have foreign people who perhaps think you are the usual American and probably never heard of Brooklyn accents and stuff lol. SAMP learned me that there are more American accent then the usual cowboy one lmao.

paxie

Legendary Member

jonathan_lai said:
Should just keep using /accent, you have foreign people who perhaps think you are the usual American and probably never heard of Brooklyn accents and stuff lol. SAMP learned me that there are more American accent then the usual cowboy one lmao.
/me speaks with a Brooklyn accent.