What's new

Minor, but annoying connection issue that may not be RCRP's fault at all...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Kek

Silver Member
Joined
Sep 11, 2010
Messages
547
Location
Ireland
Hi.

I generally have a fine connection to the server., however I do get a pretty bad amount of "ping spikes" now that then that desyncs me from the server. It doesn't disconnect me at all, just stops sending packages to me, so it stops loading stuff in, like the scripted map or new players walking over to me.

BUT, I seem to be able to see the chat updating just fine at that moment.

This will often occur during RP, and as you can imagine, is quite annoying. :angry:

Thing is, is there any way I can reduce this? My internet is not the best in the world, and like I said in subject field, this is probably not the server's fault anyway. I just wanna see if anyone knows anything that might reduce this.

I suspect it is because of other people on my network uploading images, or watching a lot of videos (5 other people in my house). I cant really help that though :S.


So, long story short, when I get a massive ping spike (I've sometimes been auto kicked for having 1500 ping, only for it to back to a humble 30 ping moments later),is there a way I can get the server to update me back in, so it loads the scripted objects in, essentially re-syncing me to the server?

It sucks that when you notice your ingame clock freezing, text becoming slower, only for you to drive out of town and see nothing RCRP scripted in is loading, you cant enter a command, or do something to reload you back in.


Thanks!
 

dex

Donator
Joined
Jan 19, 2016
Messages
6,884
I had the same issue last month after getting my new internet installed, all I had to do was go on the Virgin Media webchat and explain my issue and it was fixed within 4 days and I had £7 deducted off my bill, so try contacting your ISP.
 
  • Like
Reactions: Kek

fr0st

SysAdmin
System Administrator
Joined
Jan 28, 2011
Messages
432
Location
Texas
John_Marks said:
Hi.

I generally have a fine connection to the server., however I do get a pretty bad amount of "ping spikes" now that then that desyncs me from the server. It doesn't disconnect me at all, just stops sending packages to me, so it stops loading stuff in, like the scripted map or new players walking over to me.

BUT, I seem to be able to see the chat updating just fine at that moment.

This will often occur during RP, and as you can imagine, is quite annoying. :angry:

Thing is, is there any way I can reduce this? My internet is not the best in the world, and like I said in subject field, this is probably not the server's fault anyway. I just wanna see if anyone knows anything that might reduce this.

I suspect it is because of other people on my network uploading images, or watching a lot of videos (5 other people in my house). I cant really help that though :S.


So, long story short, when I get a massive ping spike (I've sometimes been auto kicked for having 1500 ping, only for it to back to a humble 30 ping moments later),is there a way I can get the server to update me back in, so it loads the scripted objects in, essentially re-syncing me to the server?

It sucks that when you notice your ingame clock freezing, text becoming slower, only for you to drive out of town and see nothing RCRP scripted in is loading, you cant enter a command, or do something to reload you back in.


Thanks!


1) Are you connecting to your router/modem wirelessly? If so, don't. Get an ethernet cable.
2) Can you run my diagnostics tool here while it's happening?
3) Do you have any other computers/devices using the internet while this is happening? Perhaps they're downloading/uploading and making your ping spike. Uploading does it the worst.
 
  • Like
Reactions: Kek

Kek

Silver Member
Joined
Sep 11, 2010
Messages
547
Location
Ireland
fr0st said:
John_Marks said:


1) Are you connecting to your router/modem wirelessly? If so, don't. Get an ethernet cable.
2) Can you run my diagnostics tool here while it's happening?
3) Do you have any other computers/devices using the internet while this is happening? Perhaps they're downloading/uploading and making your ping spike. Uploading does it the worst.

Getting an ethernet cable to my desktop or laptop when Im playing might be tricky... (and might piss my mom off, who flips out when her facebook doesnt load in 0.2 seconds... :cigar: ) But this is a good suggestion and I could do it when no one else is using the internet.

I'll run your diagnostics tool next time I notice it happening :thumbup: .

For point 3, Well, as far as I know my brothers, sisters and mom are just casually browsing the internet, this could contribute to it though, and my brothers are playing other online games, so it definitely has an impact.

Cheers!
 

Kek

Silver Member
Joined
Sep 11, 2010
Messages
547
Location
Ireland
Left the diagnostic run for a while and while I had a desync.


Running RC-RP Diagnostics test...
Retrieving system date and time.
Fri 11/04/2016
08:47 PM

------- Ping/Traceroute to EU.FROSTGAMING.COM -------:

Pinging eu.frostgaming.com [149.202.88.115] with 32 bytes of data:
Reply from 149.202.88.115: bytes=32 time=129ms TTL=54
Reply from 149.202.88.115: bytes=32 time=463ms TTL=54
Reply from 149.202.88.115: bytes=32 time=556ms TTL=54
Reply from 149.202.88.115: bytes=32 time=607ms TTL=54

Ping statistics for 149.202.88.115:
Packets: Sent = 4, Received = 4, Lost = 0 (0% loss),
Approximate round trip times in milli-seconds:
Minimum = 129ms, Maximum = 607ms, Average = 438ms

Tracing route to eu.frostgaming.com [149.202.88.115]
over a maximum of 30 hops:

1 1 ms 2 ms 1 ms 192.168.1.254
2 1055 ms 1270 ms 960 ms 86-44-102-1-dynamic.agg2.yhl.lmk-mlw.eircom.net [86.44.102.1]
3 273 ms 410 ms 774 ms lag-26.pe1.lmk.lmk-mlw.eircom.net [86.43.13.5]
4 50 ms 52 ms 13 ms lag-10.core1.dbn.core.eircom.net [86.43.253.20]
5 * 78 ms 68 ms lag-60.br1.thn.border.eircom.net [86.47.60.58]
6 * * * Request timed out.
7 29 ms 29 ms 28 ms be10-1194.gra-g2-a9.fr.eu [91.121.128.92]
8 31 ms 31 ms 31 ms vl20.gra-g2-a75.fr.eu [37.187.36.197]
9 34 ms 33 ms 35 ms be50-7.gra-3b-a9.fr.eu [37.187.231.92]
10 31 ms 31 ms 32 ms ns3030431.ip-149-202-88.eu [149.202.88.115]

Trace complete.



EDIT:


And another one when I had a few pretty bad lag-outs.


Running RC-RP Diagnostics test...
Retrieving system date and time.
05/11/2016
14:08

------- Ping/Traceroute to EU.FROSTGAMING.COM -------:

Pinging eu.frostgaming.com [149.202.88.115] with 32 bytes of data:
Reply from 149.202.88.115: bytes=32 time=869ms TTL=54
Reply from 149.202.88.115: bytes=32 time=738ms TTL=54
Reply from 149.202.88.115: bytes=32 time=102ms TTL=54
Reply from 149.202.88.115: bytes=32 time=166ms TTL=54

Ping statistics for 149.202.88.115:
Packets: Sent = 4, Received = 4, Lost = 0 (0% loss),
Approximate round trip times in milli-seconds:
Minimum = 102ms, Maximum = 869ms, Average = 468ms

Tracing route to eu.frostgaming.com [149.202.88.115]
over a maximum of 30 hops:

1 41 ms 4 ms 2 ms 192.168.1.254
2 9 ms 8 ms 8 ms 86-44-102-1-dynamic.agg2.yhl.lmk-mlw.eircom.net [86.44.102.1]
3 12 ms 11 ms 11 ms lag-26.pe1.lmk.lmk-mlw.eircom.net [86.43.13.5]
4 13 ms * 13 ms lag-10.core1.dbn.core.eircom.net [86.43.253.20]
5 28 ms 27 ms 27 ms lag-60.br1.thn.border.eircom.net [86.47.60.58]
6 * * * Request timed out.
7 31 ms 31 ms 31 ms be10-1194.gra-g2-a9.fr.eu [91.121.128.92]
8 49 ms 97 ms 101 ms vl20.gra-g2-a75.fr.eu [37.187.36.197]
9 145 ms 141 ms 45 ms be50-7.gra-3b-a9.fr.eu [37.187.231.92]
10 33 ms 32 ms 32 ms ns3030431.ip-149-202-88.eu [149.202.88.115]

Trace complete.

------- Ping/Traceroute to GOOGLE.COM -------:

Pinging google.com [159.134.168.82] with 32 bytes of data:
Reply from 159.134.168.82: bytes=32 time=14ms TTL=60
Reply from 159.134.168.82: bytes=32 time=20ms TTL=60
Reply from 159.134.168.82: bytes=32 time=14ms TTL=60
Reply from 159.134.168.82: bytes=32 time=14ms TTL=60

Ping statistics for 159.134.168.82:
Packets: Sent = 4, Received = 4, Lost = 0 (0% loss),
Approximate round trip times in milli-seconds:
Minimum = 14ms, Maximum = 20ms, Average = 15ms

Tracing route to google.com [159.134.168.82]
over a maximum of 30 hops:

1 3 ms 5 ms 2 ms 192.168.1.254
2 19 ms 8 ms 7 ms 86-44-102-1-dynamic.agg2.yhl.lmk-mlw.eircom.net [86.44.102.1]
3 10 ms 9 ms 10 ms lag-26.pe1.mlw.lmk-mlw.eircom.net [86.43.13.9]
4 * 101 ms 80 ms lag-10.core2.prp.core.eircom.net [86.43.11.178]
5 14 ms 14 ms 14 ms 159.134.168.82

Trace complete.

IPconfig information:

Windows IP Configuration

Host Name . . . . . . . . . . . . : Kek
Primary Dns Suffix . . . . . . . :
Node Type . . . . . . . . . . . . : Hybrid
IP Routing Enabled. . . . . . . . : No
WINS Proxy Enabled. . . . . . . . : No
DNS Suffix Search List. . . . . . : home

Ethernet adapter Ethernet:

Media State . . . . . . . . . . . : Media disconnected
Connection-specific DNS Suffix . :
Description . . . . . . . . . . . : Realtek PCIe GBE Family Controller
Physical Address. . . . . . . . . : D4-3D-7E-FA-E7-1C
DHCP Enabled. . . . . . . . . . . : Yes
Autoconfiguration Enabled . . . . : Yes

Wireless LAN adapter Local Area Connection* 2:

Media State . . . . . . . . . . . : Media disconnected
Connection-specific DNS Suffix . :
Description . . . . . . . . . . . : Microsoft Wi-Fi Direct Virtual Adapter
Physical Address. . . . . . . . . : A2-F4-59-7F-26-AE
DHCP Enabled. . . . . . . . . . . : Yes
Autoconfiguration Enabled . . . . : Yes

Wireless LAN adapter WiFi:

Connection-specific DNS Suffix . : home
Description . . . . . . . . . . . : Realtek RTL8192EU Wireless LAN 802.11n USB 2.0 Network Adapter
Physical Address. . . . . . . . . : A0-F4-59-7F-26-AE
DHCP Enabled. . . . . . . . . . . : Yes
Autoconfiguration Enabled . . . . : Yes
Link-local IPv6 Address . . . . . : fe80::fd09:f531:9a50:b786%7(Preferred)
IPv4 Address. . . . . . . . . . . : 192.168.1.14(Preferred)
Subnet Mask . . . . . . . . . . . : 255.255.255.0
Lease Obtained. . . . . . . . . . : 31 October 2016 10:39:04
Lease Expires . . . . . . . . . . : 08 November 2016 14:07:30
Default Gateway . . . . . . . . . : 192.168.1.254
DHCP Server . . . . . . . . . . . : 192.168.1.254
DHCPv6 IAID . . . . . . . . . . . : 195097689
DHCPv6 Client DUID. . . . . . . . : 00-01-00-01-1E-F8-7C-D1-D4-3D-7E-FA-E7-1C
DNS Servers . . . . . . . . . . . : 192.168.1.254
192.168.1.254
NetBIOS over Tcpip. . . . . . . . : Enabled

Tunnel adapter isatap.home:

Media State . . . . . . . . . . . : Media disconnected
Connection-specific DNS Suffix . : home
Description . . . . . . . . . . . : Microsoft ISATAP Adapter
Physical Address. . . . . . . . . : 00-00-00-00-00-00-00-E0
DHCP Enabled. . . . . . . . . . . : No
Autoconfiguration Enabled . . . . : Yes

Tunnel adapter Teredo Tunneling Pseudo-Interface:

Connection-specific DNS Suffix . :
Description . . . . . . . . . . . : Teredo Tunneling Pseudo-Interface
Physical Address. . . . . . . . . : 00-00-00-00-00-00-00-E0
DHCP Enabled. . . . . . . . . . . : No
Autoconfiguration Enabled . . . . : Yes
IPv6 Address. . . . . . . . . . . : 2001:0:9d38:90d7:c89:24e:a9d3:984b(Preferred)
Link-local IPv6 Address . . . . . : fe80::c89:24e:a9d3:984b%18(Preferred)
Default Gateway . . . . . . . . . : ::
DHCPv6 IAID . . . . . . . . . . . : 117440512
DHCPv6 Client DUID. . . . . . . . : 00-01-00-01-1E-F8-7C-D1-D4-3D-7E-FA-E7-1C
NetBIOS over Tcpip. . . . . . . . : Disabled

*****Test Complete*****!
14:09
05/11/2016
 

B!shop

Retired Admin
Joined
Aug 4, 2015
Messages
3,630
Location
Srilanka/India
John_Marks said:
Left the diagnostic run for a while and while I had a desync.


Running RC-RP Diagnostics test...
Retrieving system date and time.
Fri 11/04/2016
08:47 PM

------- Ping/Traceroute to EU.FROSTGAMING.COM -------:

Pinging eu.frostgaming.com [149.202.88.115] with 32 bytes of data:
Reply from 149.202.88.115: bytes=32 time=129ms TTL=54
Reply from 149.202.88.115: bytes=32 time=463ms TTL=54
Reply from 149.202.88.115: bytes=32 time=556ms TTL=54
Reply from 149.202.88.115: bytes=32 time=607ms TTL=54

Ping statistics for 149.202.88.115:
Packets: Sent = 4, Received = 4, Lost = 0 (0% loss),
Approximate round trip times in milli-seconds:
Minimum = 129ms, Maximum = 607ms, Average = 438ms

Tracing route to eu.frostgaming.com [149.202.88.115]
over a maximum of 30 hops:

1 1 ms 2 ms 1 ms 192.168.1.254
2 1055 ms 1270 ms 960 ms 86-44-102-1-dynamic.agg2.yhl.lmk-mlw.eircom.net [86.44.102.1]
3 273 ms 410 ms 774 ms lag-26.pe1.lmk.lmk-mlw.eircom.net [86.43.13.5]
4 50 ms 52 ms 13 ms lag-10.core1.dbn.core.eircom.net [86.43.253.20]
5 * 78 ms 68 ms lag-60.br1.thn.border.eircom.net [86.47.60.58]
6 * * * Request timed out.
7 29 ms 29 ms 28 ms be10-1194.gra-g2-a9.fr.eu [91.121.128.92]
8 31 ms 31 ms 31 ms vl20.gra-g2-a75.fr.eu [37.187.36.197]
9 34 ms 33 ms 35 ms be50-7.gra-3b-a9.fr.eu [37.187.231.92]
10 31 ms 31 ms 32 ms ns3030431.ip-149-202-88.eu [149.202.88.115]

Trace complete.



EDIT:


And another one when I had a few pretty bad lag-outs.


Running RC-RP Diagnostics test...
Retrieving system date and time.
05/11/2016
14:08

------- Ping/Traceroute to EU.FROSTGAMING.COM -------:

Pinging eu.frostgaming.com [149.202.88.115] with 32 bytes of data:
Reply from 149.202.88.115: bytes=32 time=869ms TTL=54
Reply from 149.202.88.115: bytes=32 time=738ms TTL=54
Reply from 149.202.88.115: bytes=32 time=102ms TTL=54
Reply from 149.202.88.115: bytes=32 time=166ms TTL=54

Ping statistics for 149.202.88.115:
Packets: Sent = 4, Received = 4, Lost = 0 (0% loss),
Approximate round trip times in milli-seconds:
Minimum = 102ms, Maximum = 869ms, Average = 468ms

Tracing route to eu.frostgaming.com [149.202.88.115]
over a maximum of 30 hops:

1 41 ms 4 ms 2 ms 192.168.1.254
2 9 ms 8 ms 8 ms 86-44-102-1-dynamic.agg2.yhl.lmk-mlw.eircom.net [86.44.102.1]
3 12 ms 11 ms 11 ms lag-26.pe1.lmk.lmk-mlw.eircom.net [86.43.13.5]
4 13 ms * 13 ms lag-10.core1.dbn.core.eircom.net [86.43.253.20]
5 28 ms 27 ms 27 ms lag-60.br1.thn.border.eircom.net [86.47.60.58]
6 * * * Request timed out.
7 31 ms 31 ms 31 ms be10-1194.gra-g2-a9.fr.eu [91.121.128.92]
8 49 ms 97 ms 101 ms vl20.gra-g2-a75.fr.eu [37.187.36.197]
9 145 ms 141 ms 45 ms be50-7.gra-3b-a9.fr.eu [37.187.231.92]
10 33 ms 32 ms 32 ms ns3030431.ip-149-202-88.eu [149.202.88.115]

Trace complete.

------- Ping/Traceroute to GOOGLE.COM -------:

Pinging google.com [159.134.168.82] with 32 bytes of data:
Reply from 159.134.168.82: bytes=32 time=14ms TTL=60
Reply from 159.134.168.82: bytes=32 time=20ms TTL=60
Reply from 159.134.168.82: bytes=32 time=14ms TTL=60
Reply from 159.134.168.82: bytes=32 time=14ms TTL=60

Ping statistics for 159.134.168.82:
Packets: Sent = 4, Received = 4, Lost = 0 (0% loss),
Approximate round trip times in milli-seconds:
Minimum = 14ms, Maximum = 20ms, Average = 15ms

Tracing route to google.com [159.134.168.82]
over a maximum of 30 hops:

1 3 ms 5 ms 2 ms 192.168.1.254
2 19 ms 8 ms 7 ms 86-44-102-1-dynamic.agg2.yhl.lmk-mlw.eircom.net [86.44.102.1]
3 10 ms 9 ms 10 ms lag-26.pe1.mlw.lmk-mlw.eircom.net [86.43.13.9]
4 * 101 ms 80 ms lag-10.core2.prp.core.eircom.net [86.43.11.178]
5 14 ms 14 ms 14 ms 159.134.168.82

Trace complete.

IPconfig information:

Windows IP Configuration

Host Name . . . . . . . . . . . . : Kek
Primary Dns Suffix . . . . . . . :
Node Type . . . . . . . . . . . . : Hybrid
IP Routing Enabled. . . . . . . . : No
WINS Proxy Enabled. . . . . . . . : No
DNS Suffix Search List. . . . . . : home

Ethernet adapter Ethernet:

Media State . . . . . . . . . . . : Media disconnected
Connection-specific DNS Suffix . :
Description . . . . . . . . . . . : Realtek PCIe GBE Family Controller
Physical Address. . . . . . . . . : D4-3D-7E-FA-E7-1C
DHCP Enabled. . . . . . . . . . . : Yes
Autoconfiguration Enabled . . . . : Yes

Wireless LAN adapter Local Area Connection* 2:

Media State . . . . . . . . . . . : Media disconnected
Connection-specific DNS Suffix . :
Description . . . . . . . . . . . : Microsoft Wi-Fi Direct Virtual Adapter
Physical Address. . . . . . . . . : A2-F4-59-7F-26-AE
DHCP Enabled. . . . . . . . . . . : Yes
Autoconfiguration Enabled . . . . : Yes

Wireless LAN adapter WiFi:

Connection-specific DNS Suffix . : home
Description . . . . . . . . . . . : Realtek RTL8192EU Wireless LAN 802.11n USB 2.0 Network Adapter
Physical Address. . . . . . . . . : A0-F4-59-7F-26-AE
DHCP Enabled. . . . . . . . . . . : Yes
Autoconfiguration Enabled . . . . : Yes
Link-local IPv6 Address . . . . . : fe80::fd09:f531:9a50:b786%7(Preferred)
IPv4 Address. . . . . . . . . . . : 192.168.1.14(Preferred)
Subnet Mask . . . . . . . . . . . : 255.255.255.0
Lease Obtained. . . . . . . . . . : 31 October 2016 10:39:04
Lease Expires . . . . . . . . . . : 08 November 2016 14:07:30
Default Gateway . . . . . . . . . : 192.168.1.254
DHCP Server . . . . . . . . . . . : 192.168.1.254
DHCPv6 IAID . . . . . . . . . . . : 195097689
DHCPv6 Client DUID. . . . . . . . : 00-01-00-01-1E-F8-7C-D1-D4-3D-7E-FA-E7-1C
DNS Servers . . . . . . . . . . . : 192.168.1.254
192.168.1.254
NetBIOS over Tcpip. . . . . . . . : Enabled

Tunnel adapter isatap.home:

Media State . . . . . . . . . . . : Media disconnected
Connection-specific DNS Suffix . : home
Description . . . . . . . . . . . : Microsoft ISATAP Adapter
Physical Address. . . . . . . . . : 00-00-00-00-00-00-00-E0
DHCP Enabled. . . . . . . . . . . : No
Autoconfiguration Enabled . . . . : Yes

Tunnel adapter Teredo Tunneling Pseudo-Interface:

Connection-specific DNS Suffix . :
Description . . . . . . . . . . . : Teredo Tunneling Pseudo-Interface
Physical Address. . . . . . . . . : 00-00-00-00-00-00-00-E0
DHCP Enabled. . . . . . . . . . . : No
Autoconfiguration Enabled . . . . : Yes
IPv6 Address. . . . . . . . . . . : 2001:0:9d38:90d7:c89:24e:a9d3:984b(Preferred)
Link-local IPv6 Address . . . . . : fe80::c89:24e:a9d3:984b%18(Preferred)
Default Gateway . . . . . . . . . : ::
DHCPv6 IAID . . . . . . . . . . . : 117440512
DHCPv6 Client DUID. . . . . . . . : 00-01-00-01-1E-F8-7C-D1-D4-3D-7E-FA-E7-1C
NetBIOS over Tcpip. . . . . . . . : Disabled

*****Test Complete*****!
14:09
05/11/2016
Has this been fixed?
 

Kek

Silver Member
Joined
Sep 11, 2010
Messages
547
Location
Ireland
B!shop said:
John_Marks said:
Has this been fixed?


Going through some pretty bad ping spikes right now, as a matter of fact I said fuck it and decided to browse the forums instead and saw your message.


I talked to some people in the server and the general feedback is, is to call your ISP about it. Apparently it's caused by "packet loss". :rant:
 

Moj0

Donator
Joined
Jul 3, 2013
Messages
1,532
Location
Scotland.
Kek said:
B!shop said:
John_Marks said:
Has this been fixed?


Going through some pretty bad ping spikes right now, as a matter of fact I said fuck it and decided to browse the forums instead and saw your message.


I talked to some people in the server and the general feedback is, is to call your ISP about it. Apparently it's caused by "packet loss". :rant:

Any luck on getting this fixed at all? :yuck:
 

Kek

Silver Member
Joined
Sep 11, 2010
Messages
547
Location
Ireland
Moj0 said:
Any luck on getting this fixed at all? :yuck:

I've some time off and have been looking into it a little more recently. I'm going to check if my router settings have "quality of service" enabled. Because I'm sharing the wifi with 4-5 other people, the bandwidth tends to get used up.

QoS should help limit other user's bandwidth so I dont get ping spikes. Problem is, my dad (who's out of the country right now) has the password for the router.

I'll report back when I save a look at the settings.

I notice when I'm going through these desyncs and ping spikes, my upload speed is horrendous (pressing F5 ig).

So what I should try to do is, basically limit everyone's upload speed so it doesnt tank when someone else uploads something.
 

Moj0

Donator
Joined
Jul 3, 2013
Messages
1,532
Location
Scotland.
Try and disable things like Skype and unnecessary things that use a lot of networking - or you can always contact you ISP, explain the situation and ask them for some sort of advice, I used to have this problem until I called mine out on capping the bandwidth and I've never had a problem since! Ask your ISP about it, who are you with if you don't mind me asking? :D
 
Status
Not open for further replies.
Top