What's new

How to RP depression properly.

Status
Not open for further replies.

JackTheHunter

Gold Member
Not being funny but there's different triggers to depression, so their "boyfriend dumping them" or "seeing a park rat die" could EASILY trigger it. I know you're trying to be funny and get some likes but your post defeats the whole point of this topic to be honest.

Nice topic, some questionable points, but nice idea.
I'm not trying to be funny, those who RP girls, RP depressed/suicidial girls all the time for the stuff I mentioned above, I've seen plenty. Nobody roleplays a simple girl with no mental illness for some reason, but I guess that's what they think girls do all the time. Anyway, I'm not thirsty for likes I can assure you.

Castiel

Bronze Member
tenor.gif

alien

Retired Admin
I feel like depression in particular is way too subjective to make a guide on. Sure, some people might not know how to roleplay some areas of it very well but I don't think there's ever a "proper" way to roleplay such a touchy thing. There's a lot of questionable things in this guide, the below statement is the most ridiculous imo.

Reason for depression.

You can't be depressed for no reason. That's just totally unrealistic or non-RP behavior. Here are the things which leads to a depression.

Again, too subjective. Everyone's different when it comes to mental illness aside from a few symptoms that are usually consistent in most cases.

toni

Retired Admin
Deleted all the off-topic replies. Please stay on topic in this section.

Moneko

Diamond Member
I feel like depression in particular is way too subjective to make a guide on. Sure, some people might not know how to roleplay some areas of it very well but I don't think there's ever a "proper" way to roleplay such a touchy thing. There's a lot of questionable things in this guide, the below statement is the most ridiculous imo.

Again, too subjective. Everyone's different when it comes to mental illness aside from a few symptoms that are usually consistent in most cases.

On a serious note, I do know that. It's a very sensitive topic after all and I am just making a guide on how not to do it non-RPly and most likely just a basic fundamentals of how to act depressed in character. I, myself have no medical experience to know exactly what is this, but I am basing from what I know regarding RPing as a depressed individual which one of my chars happen to experience and that's how I interpreted it.

Lockhart

Donator
What we have to take into consideration here is that Tyr0n is trying to not only understand but make aware of Depression and mental illnesses and sometimes people use mental illness as a joke.

Depression is different for everyone and people act in different ways - not all do self harm or inflict harm, some just want reassurance and friends - it’s definitely something that the individual would have to decide on, and I completely understand this guide and it’s the stereotypical roleplay that causes this persona, but can we step aside and look at it realistically?

Tyr0n, evidently there’s room for improvement and for those who do suffer with depression or have will know it’s an individual thing, different things trigger it and it’s not due to Montgomery park or the fact you saw a dead body, it’s internal. Remember that no one can describe it perfectly so we can just appreciate that he’s trying.

Zodiac

Tester
Just know that a lot of depressed people will also have a 'happy' outlook, leading many to believe they're actually like that, some don't even open up (apparently all depressed people in RC-RP open up when someone challenges how hard their life is). Especially with suicide, some people cry for help and some never let us see it coming - it's a two-page cover for every point. Depression isn't always a constant thing, it can be periodic.

Status
Not open for further replies.