What's new

[How To] Roleplay A Country/Redneck Person

MrAwesome said:
I think it'd be important to stress in your guide that people from the country don't all speak like they have a mental disability like all of RCRP thinks. Plenty of "redneck" people in America just speak with a tint of southern. Being all hyperbolic with the stressed vowels when referring to southern Americans is like me being hyperbolic with outstretched and yellow teeth if I was RPing as a Brit.

"Conclusion:
This how to probably wasn't that good but, im bored and all i see are people roleplaying that stereotypical hillbilly goat fucking kinda stuff "

Thats the shit I was talking bout there.

Dom.

Donator
Should be expanded upon. I want to see more players RP 'rednecks' properly, because all I see is hicks who /s moronic bullshit and go to monty with shovels and beat black people.

Rebecca said:
Should be expanded upon. I want to see more players RP 'rednecks' properly, because all I see is hicks who /s moronic bullshit and go to monty with shovels and beat black people.

Tell me how you think I should expand on it, I have nothing to do for the time being and If I can add some more things I will. I already have someone saying I need to add on how we talk. Anything else you want to suggest for me to throw in?

Dom.

Donator
Maybe a section about now not every 'rural' person is a racist? Most of them seem to think so

Deketa

Silver Member
I feel people, not only on RCRP, but in general, need to realize there's a HUGE difference between, country, redneck, and hillbilly. Having grown up in rural Illinois and Wisconsin, allow me to describe the differences, if anyone happens to care.

County
Country folk are usually quite friendly to anyone that's friendly to them to begin with; they can be expected to enjoy fishing, hunting, and likely farming crops, however don't necessarily have to be redneck (but often are on top of being just country). Family is a great treasure to true country folk, but not in the incest way, obviously. These fellas stick close to loved ones, from friends and family to their partner, protecting them at any cost. A country person can appear to be just as casual as a city slicker, depending on your location, just country people might be hard to identify as such; they likely will not give off the obvious signals a redneck or hillbilly would. To summarize, though, country people are just average-joes that grew up experiencing, or have an interest in country life.

Redneck
These are your stereotypical 'country' people. Rednecks tend to love trucks, particularly loud and/or lifted ones, along with guns and are often very proud patriots. These are the guys that'll frequently possibly get drunk and go hunting, mudding, or just shootin'. Indeed, there are some racist rednecks, but don't be fooled; many will still treat those of color or foreign ancestry as kind as the next man; the majority of true rednecks are not racist, sexist, or homophobic, for that matter (although may still devise homosexuality, as a good majority of rednecks follow the Christian faith due to growing up, exposed and taught to believe such). Realistically though, true rednecks are just country folk that like to have a little fun on a frequent basis.

Hillbilly
Now these guys are what most people seem to think of as a 'redneck', but are more ever...Just weird as fuck country folk. Incest and illegal alcohol distilleries may be common practices by hillbillies. Most can be identified with their deep Southern accent. THESE are the guys that are likely going to be racist, usually having family with deep Southern roots, likely having grown up exposed to the idea that those of color are lesser than caucasians. Along with racism, they might treat women and those of the LGBT community lesser than those not, usually because of strong fascist political or strong religious beliefs.

Sorry if I over-described this, it just really pains me to see everyone roleplaying what they claim is redneck when in reality they are roleplaying uber-hillbilly and making the redneck population look like homophobic racists, and it's about time we start getting things accurate for better country roleplay on the server. I'd be glad to clarify anything if I wasn't clear on a topic!

Cheers, and happy roleplaying! :luvrcrp:

Dom.

Donator
Deketa said:
I feel people, not only on RCRP, but in general, need to realize there's a HUGE difference between, country, redneck, and hillbilly. Having grown up in rural Illinois and Wisconsin, allow me to describe the differences, if anyone happens to care.

County
Country folk are usually quite friendly to anyone that's friendly to them to begin with; they can be expected to enjoy fishing, hunting, and likely farming crops, however don't necessarily have to be redneck (but often are on top of being just country). Family is a great treasure to true country folk, but not in the incest way, obviously. These fellas stick close to loved ones, from friends and family to their partner, protecting them at any cost. A country person can appear to be just as casual as a city slicker, depending on your location, just country people might be hard to identify as such; they likely will not give off the obvious signals a redneck or hillbilly would. To summarize, though, country people are just average-joes that grew up experiencing, or have an interest in country life.

Redneck
These are your stereotypical 'country' people. Rednecks tend to love trucks, particularly loud and/or lifted ones, along with guns and are often very proud patriots. These are the guys that'll frequently possibly get drunk and go hunting, mudding, or just shootin'. Indeed, there are some racist rednecks, but don't be fooled; many will still treat those of color or foreign ancestry as kind as the next man; the majority of true rednecks are not racist, sexist, or homophobic, for that matter (although may still devise homosexuality, as a good majority of rednecks follow the Christian faith due to growing up, exposed and taught to believe such). Realistically though, true rednecks are just country folk that like to have a little fun on a frequent basis.

Hillbilly
Now these guys are what most people seem to think of as a 'redneck', but are more ever...Just weird as fuck country folk. Incest and illegal alcohol distilleries may be common practices by hillbillies. Most can be identified with their deep Southern accent. THESE are the guys that are likely going to be racist, usually having family with deep Southern roots, likely having grown up exposed to the idea that those of color are lesser than caucasians. Along with racism, they might treat women and those of the LGBT community lesser than those not, usually because of strong fascist political or strong religious beliefs.

Sorry if I over-described this, it just really pains me to see everyone roleplaying what they claim is redneck when in reality they are roleplaying uber-hillbilly and making the redneck population look like homophobic racists, and it's about time we start getting things accurate for better country roleplay on the server. I'd be glad to clarify anything if I wasn't clear on a topic!

Growing up in a somewhat southern area, this is the most beautiful description I've seen. Tear to my eye. Give this man an award, because he captured it. THIS is the truth.

Deketa said:

County

Redneck

Hillbilly

Well said, bud.

Jackson.

Donator
This is a neat guide, I guess you should give more examples(create senarios between two or more players) and expand the vocabulary part a bit from time to time.