What's new

How Nitrous ACTUALLY works.

Nesset

Donator
Klaas Vaak said:
Actually enjoyed reading through this, although I did not understand all of it.
Nice to know that the shit you see ingame is not actually the real deal.
99.9% of GTA is all comical bs lol

Definitely not a sim by any means...

Emerald

That's a really nice guide, you debunked some things I thought about Nitrous!

Unprepared

Finally someone that knows the truth! :D
However, some old cars might spit some flames from the exhaust. I had a project irl where we installed NOS in my modified Vauxhall Nova and it actually spit small flames sometimes. Then the engine blew up because we used it way too much. It was fun though. :D

Great guide!

Rinkk

Silver Member
Unprepared said:
However, some old cars might spit some flames from the exhaust. I had a project irl where we installed NOS in my modified Vauxhall Nova and it actually spit small flames sometimes. Then the engine blew up because we used it way too much. It was fun though. :D

Great guide!

That was because the engine was missfiring, meaning there was unburnt fuel in the combustion chamber that went in the exhaust and got ignited by the heat.

Ekvivokk

Donator
Rinkk said:
Unprepared said:

Great guide!

That was because the engine was missfiring, meaning there was unburnt fuel in the combustion chamber that went in the exhaust and got ignited by the heat.

Missfiring is the wrong word, missfiring would be if the engine fired too fast or too slow or on the wrong piston. What you explained is called incomplete combustion, but the explaination is correct.

Unprepared

Ekvivokk said:
Rinkk said:
Unprepared said:

Great guide!

Missfiring is the wrong word, missfiring would be if the engine fired too fast or too slow or on the wrong piston. What you explained is called incomplete combustion, but the explaination is correct.

Exactly, and that's something that tends to happen a lot if the engine uses carburetor or double-carburetor. Since NOS makes the carburetor "spit" more fuel, the engine isn't able to burn all the fuel, which causes the flames and potential loss of power. It's indirectly provoked by NOS. But NOS itself isn't even flammable like you said in this guide. Games like GTA, NFS etc tend to make the usage of NOS unrealistic af. :tongue:

rares923

Banned
So, there are actually some facts that you missed.
So, there is propane which is understood to be NoS, but it isn't. It is known that way as it generally has the same way to work, the propane gets in the piston and makes a more powerful explosion than gasoline as there is chemichal shit that is going on and that I'm not good at.
2nd, nitrous and propane can be detected by its smell. While I was at a rally cup, I saw the extuinghishers, but there was one that was customed with a NoS sticker and was blue. So, after the stage finished, I went to the team and asked them about it, as nitrous/propane is illegal in legal racing competitions.
After he explained to me that it is an extuinghisher made to look cool and showed it to me, he then told me all about them.
Told me all I need to know. He told me that nitrous/propane has a particular smell which can be detected very easily if you're near the exhaust or the intake of the car.
Told me that nitrous blows up your piston if used too long, but it is just like a turbine or any other part blows it :
The car does not support the RPM's increase that fast, the piston not being timed, making it blow up, therfor is nothing special about that "blowing piston" while using NoS.
It is very dangerous on diesel cars as they support lower RPMs, as that fast RPM increase could blow the engine very fast if there is the power of a powerful turbine too.
That's all I kindda remember, but I'm going hit you up if I discover more.