What's new

[GUIDE] Leading a Faction

Gary

Donator
LEADING A FACTION
This guide is not a comprehensive guide on exactly how to lead a faction, but the points described in this guide should always be utilised in order to achieve a good, solid faction that people actually enjoy and have fun in. Leading a faction can be fun at some times, however just because you're having fun as a leader doesn't mean your members are. In this guide, I'll go over a few tips and tricks that I use in order to lead the SAFR, some indicators of unhappiness and lack of enthusiasm in your faction, public image, how to increase members, how to promote excitement and more. By no means am I the best person to be making this guide, but I thought I'd at least share my ideas in order to benefit a few people if they so choose to utilise them in their own faction leadership or creation.

Faction StructureYour faction structure is what your members have to be organised inside. Therefore, if you have a confusing faction structure, your members are going to be confused. I personally employ a series of ranks within the NCO team, or regular members, that allow them to actually climb through them. This boosts motivation within your faction and gives your members something to actually work towards, because if they're doing the same roleplay over and over again they're going to need something to actually work towards. This works in real life too. Many people will often strive within a real job in order to get a raise or a promotion because doing the same job over and over again with no goals in sight is simply boring, but if you finish your shift knowing that you put a lot of work in today and that your supervisors have clearly seen the amount of work you've put in, you'll be more inclined to be happy about your shift and you'll be a lot more excited to get on-duty or start your next shift due to the boost of motivation from knowing that all the hard work you're putting in was actually noticed.

If you make your faction structure difficult, people won't want to join for the simple reason of not knowing what they're getting into. You want to make your ranks as realistic as possible while also including that feeling of motivation for promotions. Look at the most familiar legal factions as an example: SACSO has three Deputy Sheriff ranks and a Corporal rank. Then, they have different ranks within their Sergeant's team. They also have different ranks within their Command team and, finally, they have different ranks within their High Command team. SAFR has three Firefighter/EMT ranks, a Firefighter/Paramedic rank, three Command ranks and three High Command ranks. SAN goes for a more realistic news company and had editorial ranks, as well as supervisor ranks, managerial ranks and executive ranks (Chief Executive/Operating Officer).

Not only does this keep professionalism within your department, but it gives the members who know a lot and who have been there a while the ability to let it show in their rank. Plus, with each rank comes a higher paycheck which accounts for even more of a motivation in terms of money. You should also try and ensure that each rank has different perks; at Firefighter/EMT III we allow people to train for ALS.

Divisions are a good way for you to expand your faction's roleplay and allow each member to include themselves in different roleplay that is separate, or even enhanced, versions of the main roleplay of the faction. For example, SAFR is for medical/firefighting roleplay, but we have divisions for interacting with the public, hardcore technical rescue and hazardous materials enthusiasts, investigations, training, recruitment, supervision, etc. This allows everyone to pick and choose exactly what they want to roleplay after the recruitment stage is over for them.

The one thing you don't want, however, is having a ranking structure where none of your members are within the higher ranks. This will force your members to believe that they're not putting enough work into the faction, and they'll swiftly lose motivation because their hard work is not being rewarded. Be very wary of this and avoid this at all costs; it'll lose you members.
InteractionAs a leader, the worst thing you can do is to sit back and do nothing. You need to get actively involved with your faction and not just let people do the dirty work for you. As a prime example for the benefits, I decided to go on-duty alone for SAFR. Within half an hour, nine more people joined me because they saw that I was online and on shift. Therefore, we had 10 people on-duty and ready to respond to calls which topped SACSO at that time, all because I was on-duty. Another example includes Anderson going on-duty for SACSO. I've heard multiple people saying they're going to go on duty because Anderson is on duty for SACSO, all because faction members want to be noticed and praised by the faction leader for that extra boost in motivation. Don't sit back and never go in-game as a faction leader. Every successful faction has a leader that goes in-game and actively gets involved with the roleplay that their faction is built around.

Interacting with your faction works both ways. While you optimally want to praise and notice your faction members from a leadership standpoint for them to have the highest amount of motivation, sometimes punishments go a long way if they come from the faction leader. As an example, if anything can't be handled by my lower ranks in terms of arguments, insubordination, etc, it'll always stop as soon as I become involved in a situation because I've set myself as a faction leader that ends a situation as soon as it gets involved in terms of handing out immediate punishments. This is an excellent way to set yourself, because if you're a strict bitch with your members, all the praise is going to be amplified and all the punishments are going to actually make an impact on the people they're going to, which will keep your faction members in order and keep them inline. The only way you can set this reputation for yourself, though, is to get involved with your faction.

On the other hand, if you set yourself as a faction leader that loves having fun, your members will be guaranteed to enjoy being in your faction. I personally love sitting in Teamspeak and talking to my members, having fun, all that stuff, but I've created a good divide between having fun and messing around to ensure that whenever they start messing around, they know exactly when to stop because of the reputation I've set myself. The exact same reputation has been set by Anderson and it works extremely well no matter what faction you're trying to lead.
Regular UpdatesWhen an update comes to the server, everybody gets hyped. The lead-up to the update will always involve equal amounts of hype and the actual update will include a lot of people now playing to discover the updates that have just been released. Leading a faction is no different. If you lead the same faction over and over again, not only will you get bored but your members will also get bored because it's the exact same thing all the time. Therefore, you should try and include as many changes as possible to better the faction, however don't include so many changes that your members can't keep up and end up resigning. Don't include changes to the faction that will include hassle that often, such as changing callsigns or changing the material that they learn how to roleplay from. This will simply cause confusion within the faction and force people to resign because they can't keep up with having to learn everything.

Changes, updates and teasers cause motivation and excitement, which will then turn your members' focus onto the faction instead of, potentially, their alternative characters. Therefore, your members are solely focused on your faction and it's getting more memberbase and more activity. Furthermore, whenever you actually do release the update that you've been hyping up, many of your members will be excited to get in-game and explore what they can while they're on-duty. Changes lead to excitement and members.
Make It EasyMaking it easy for members to join your faction is a [plus, but you also don't want to make it too easy to the point where people who lack the enthusiasm to actually apply and join the faction will simply be able to join without any effort. This will lead to their mentality that being in the faction will also require no effort, which will lead to your members being able to walk all over you and the memberbase increase will be pointless due to the likelihood that they'll end up being removed.

While they're in the faction, you do want to make it easier for them to actually roleplay what they're in the faction to roleplay. As an example, a bunch of rules and regulations regarding going on-duty will simply make people think it's more of a hassle to go on-duty than to just stay off-duty. Therefore, make it easy for your guys to head on-duty and they'll actually head on-duty.
AdvertisementYou want to take every opportunity to advertise your faction in a good light. This can be done in many ways, but one of the most common ways that you'll be able to advertise your faction is to hold public events. These could include general roleplay events: a concert, job fair, an event organised specifically by the faction that involves the entirety of the server, party, etc. Furthermore, you'll want to make advertisements in order to allow the server to see what your faction has to say. This works well for businesses that want to advertise for publicity, but it also works in order to let the server know that your faction is actively trying to gain publicity and gains the image of you wanting to progress the faction. You can also post information in General IC to act as advertisements,

Your public image is one of the most important aspects of running a faction. If your faction has a tendency to DM, you'll have a horrible reputation, nobody will want to join, you'll be subjected to a lot more criticism (because if people know that a faction is under criticism, they'll actively try to find things to slate them on) and you'll generally lose members because they don't want to be under that kind of public image. This isn't just for DMing, but anything that lessens your public image will often lead to those consequences.

This is a roleplay server and the best thing you can do is to show off your roleplay. By posting character stories and posting on the official media thread for your faction, you're showing off your faction in the way that it deserves to be shown. If this is (usually) what determines a faction gaining official status, it should be what determines a faction to be upheld in the way that an official faction should be. Therefore, encourage your members to post character stories and document their character develop, as well as being able to show off their roleplay. But how exactly do you encourage members to do something that they likely won't want to do on their own accord?
MotivationNobody wants to do something that they simply don't like, but externalities can lead a person on. Not many people like going to work, but they do it because of the outcome of being paid. Therefore, if not many people like posting character stories, you'll have to think of ways to reward them. One of the best ways to encourage anybody to do anything is to simply ensure that they know the entirety of the faction is noticing what they're doing so that their work doesn't go to waste. On the other hand, you can simply give people money or imply that it'll encourage a promotion.

Motivation will always come from someone's happiness levels being raised to the point where they're content that they're able to continue this happiness. As an example, if you give every member of the faction money, they'll be happy until they spend it and their happiness levels will return to normal, giving no effect apart from possibly an increase in activity for a day or so. Therefore, the inclusion of systems within your faction that allow for rewards will definitely boost motivation, because people will eventually understand that the more they do something, the more rewards they'll get. Motivation mainly stems from an interest in roleplay, so if you're not offering good roleplay for the people that might consider joining, they simply won't join. This is where you have to think about making a change to the faction.

Faction members will not be motivated if the Command/High Command team is not up to the same level of leadership as the faction leader. Therefore, you need to be able to train your CMD/HC staff in order to produce the same amount of dedication and work for your faction as you are producing.
I'll be adding to this guide as more information comes to mind, which is why this is definitely not a comprehensive guide to leading a faction. Hopefully the points above will help faction leaders, or even CMD/HC members, to better their faction, or maybe the information above was stuff that you already knew.

Invictus

Donator
A leader will always struggle with different things.

I know I failed as one many times.

Gary

Donator
A leader will always struggle with different things.

I know I failed as one many times.
That's what a good High Command and Command team is for. A leader can never do everything at once.

HP3

Donator
Good guide Gary! This is useful for anyone who may want to start up a faction and this can become a great reference for the future.