What's new

[COMPLETE] 10/18/2015 Migration

Status
Not open for further replies.

quagga

fr0st said:
quagga said:
The server is occasionally showing offline for me and several others in mid-west United States. Should this happen for anyone else, try clearing your DNS cache (it worked for me). You can do this by opening your Windows command prompt and typing ipconfig /flushdns.

Nothing was changed with DNS, all of the IP's remain the same too. Flushing your DNS would only help if there is a local resolver issue on your end. Our DNS itself is handled by Amazon which uses a CDN/anycast service. You should consider using an alternative DNS provider like Google or OpenDNS.

How in the world did you switch datacenters without getting a new IP address? Whether it's the same host or not I was under the general impression from my previous work in IT that IP addresses were allocated geographically to each data center and could not be tossed around like that. Also I'd like to note that I do in-fact use Google DNS. I have ever since it came out as my ISP's DNS servers are junk.

Regardless, flushing the DNS cache temporarily worked for me and another player within 90 miles of me, however just be aware that as of this morning I am still having issues. The server still only shows online for me once and a while and at least two other players in my area have had the same issue. Even if you attempt to connect SA-MP states that the server is not responding, however I can still ping the IP address and get no packet loss. After waiting a while it eventually kicks back in.

As stated above his is happening to multiple people on multiple ISPs within a small area of the US. Not sure if any other US players are having issues or not, but I know for a fact it's not just me.

fr0st

SysAdmin
System Administrator
quagga said:
How in the world did you switch datacenters without getting a new IP address? Whether it's the same host or not I was under the general impression from my previous work in IT that IP addresses were allocated geographically to each data center and could not be tossed around like that. Also I'd like to note that I do in-fact use Google DNS. I have ever since it came out as my ISP's DNS servers are junk.

Regardless, flushing the DNS cache temporarily worked for me and another player within 90 miles of me, however just be aware that as of this morning I am still having issues. The server still only shows online for me once and a while and at least two other players in my area have had the same issue. Even if you attempt to connect SA-MP states that the server is not responding, however I can still ping the IP address and get no packet loss. After waiting a while it eventually kicks back in.

As stated above his is happening to multiple people on multiple ISPs within a small area of the US. Not sure if any other US players are having issues or not, but I know for a fact it's not just me.

OVH uses the same global VLAN for all IP addresses. So any IP can be assigned to any server regardless of location. They don't care about GeoIP database accuracy and infact offer the discrepancy (i.e an IP being reported in 1 location while assigned to another) as a SEO product.

So when the server was migrated to a different region of Europe, the IP's were moved along with it. It only took around a minute to clear the ARP cache of the VLAN and re-route it over to the new server.

If possible, please provide the output of this command right when the issue is occurring (via Command Prompt):
nslookup server.redcountyrp.com

JacenM

Donator
Re: 10/18/2015 Migration

fr0st said:
JacenM said:
Ping increased by almost 100 (230 up from 140) and sometimes jumps to over 400, and I've desynced three times today whereas I rarely did so on the last host we had.

It's the same host, it's just in central europe now instead of east.

If your ping went up, please post your location too.

My location is southern Missouri, USA.

Woods

Diamond Member
Okay, altough people are hesitating to say that that the location change was a bad idea we have to admit that it was, I spend a lot of time now trying to connect to the server, I get higher ping and lots of lag spikes and I believe I'm not the only one.

Maybe someone from the management team or admin team should try to speak with someone from where the server is located and see what's going on?

Status
Not open for further replies.