What's new

Salvadoran/Central American slang

Acero

Donator
Chivo – 'ok, fantastic, nice, amazing'
Ba firme - Similar to the phrase 'yeah, aight'. It's what you'd say if you don't particularly believe what you're being told, or if you don't particularly have anything to say about what you're being told.
Ba simon - Pretty much the same as the above. Pretty much what you say when you don't have anything to say, but you're letting the person know that you hear what they're saying.
Abaya - 'Go away'
Vaya pues - Literally translates to 'Go, then' Literally, “go then,” the expression is used in place of “okay.”
Ahora - 'Now'
Vicho or Vicha – 'Kid'. The word 'vicha' is used a lot among female Salvadorans.
Cipote or Cipota – teenager or young person
Puya – 'wow'. Pretty much expresses surprise.
Casaca - 'Bullshit'
Chero - A slang term referring to a close friend or ally.
Desmadre - This is also used in Mexico, it means “chaos” or “disorder”, usually accompanied by the verb “armar” which means “to assemble”. So if you hear “armar un desmadre”, you're likely about to witness a complete shit-show.
Dundo - Similar to “dumb”
Seco - Translates as “dry” but is Salvadoran slang for someone skinny, and is said in a light-hearted manner.
Cubreme - Cover me
Marero - A gangster. In LA the word Marero refers to an MS-13 member, in Central-America and Mexico the word Marero refers to a gang member in general.
Morra - A woman. Generally a dumb one
Que haces / Que haciendo - 'What's going on' or 'What are you doing?'
Q'vo - A greeting. It's like saying 'Hello' or 'Sup'
Cabal - 'Exactly!'
Vos - 'You'
Que pedo - What's up (Example: Que pedo con vos? = What's up with you?)
Pedo - Despite being used in the phrase 'que pedo', the word pedo has several meanings in Spanish. Most use the word to refer to an issue, a problem. (Example1: I've got pedo with that fool over there = I've got a problem with that guy over there, I wanna do something about it) or an ongoing beef (Example2: North Rancho? Nah, that's Aztecas hood. We've got pedo with them = North Rancho? No, That's a rival territory, we're involved in a beef with them)
Tunco - pig; usually refers to a part of a butchered pig.
Turco - derogative term used to call Palestinians who migrated to El Salvador. This term comes from Turkish (person who comes from Turkey), since they had a Turkish passport which they had to use to enter the country.
Culero - Offensive and derogative term for a homosexual man (equivalent to f*g).
Culío - Afraid
Vá?! -Interjection meaning approximately, 'do you agree’ or simply stressing the affirmative statement to which it serves as an ending.
Vergón - positive exclamation, an equivalent of the slang 'cool’.
Puyar - To injure someone with a pointed and sharp object. Also, to speed up a vehicle or to urge someone to quicken its pace on doing something.
Cuetear - The act of shooting someone; usually entails an official government agent (police, military) shooting, not usually used for gang shootings. Also popularly used by the pre-war generations as a threat: -te voy a cuetear- = “I’m going to shoot (cuetear) you.”
Chota - Police, usually plural, as in 'la chota’ (the police).
Aguacatero - Said of a dog. A stray dog or one considered inferior or of mixed breed; a mutt.
Chucho - Word that means 'dog'. Used amongst friends often.
Maje - Means 'dude'. Used very often.
Vergiada - A beating. Generally a rather intense one.
Chero - A slang term referring to a close friend or ally.
Marero - A gangster. In LA the word Marero refers to an MS-13 member, in Central-America and Mexico the word Marero refers to a gang member in general.
\m/

p011jtbt.jpgartworks-000677308255-v22h6l-t500x500.jpg2024-03-31 13_45_13-ms13 graffiti png – Google'i otsing - Opera.png