What's new

Ping has gone through the roof

Status
Not open for further replies.

Luke

Donator
Since I've been back at university my ping on the server has begun to fluctuate between 100 and 800 which started randomly on my third day back. The first two days were fine, played with a ping of around 50, never went higher than 200.

Admittedly when I was at home I was on an up to 100mb/s connection and in university I'm only on an up to 15mb/s so I knew it'd change dramatically but not so much so that I'd be getting 800 ping. I live in a block of flats with around 150 other people so perhaps the amount of people connected is making it high, but even at 4AM when most people are either asleep or drunk it's still incredibly high.

After doing a speedtest a few times my ping is between 50-100 and doesn't go higher than that so I'm not sure why my connection is so bad recently. I'm located in the United Kingdom and I'm not sure where the server is located so if it's somewhere really far then it'd make sense to have a high ping but considering it's only been happening since I've got back I can't see it being too far.

Linked will be the diagnostic file that I had ran and below is an image of the Speedtest results (bare in mind, this is a test done during peak time, so it would be better later on during the night or earlier this morning):

4993924850.png

Matty

Donator
Ping is determined by bandwith and distance from the server. (Atleast I'm quite sure.)
If you live far from France, that might be the reason.

Luke

Donator
DanielW said:
Ping is determined by bandwith and distance from the server. (Atleast I'm quite sure.)

That's what I assumed, but I've moved about 20 minutes from my house so I'm not sure why I'm getting 800 - shouldn't be much of a change.

Mueller

Retired Admin
lxtrxi said:
DanielW said:

That's what I assumed, but I've moved about 20 minutes from my house so I'm not sure why I'm getting 800 - shouldn't be much of a change.

It's because of the amount of traffic, it will sky rocket your ping, one person downloading a file is enough to pull your ping high, let alone in a dorm with that many people.

Jeffy™

Retired Admin
There are messages that are randomly appearing while IG showing a possible solution for this problem
with lowering the amount of objects that are being loaded for your client.

Yassin

Retired Admin
Jeffy™ said:
There are messages that are randomly appearing while IG showing a possible solution for this problem
with lowering the amount of objects that are being loaded for your client.

Do you mean /setvisibleobjects? :cap:

Status
Not open for further replies.