What's new

/me vs. /ame

Status
Not open for further replies.

Caitlin

Donator
I have a question concerning /me and /ame.
(can't /n anymore, therefore asking here)

So usually I will use a /me if it is something long and should be seen by the people I RP with. Something like "/me unlocks the save and takes 100 dollars out of the pile of money in the save"
If I have something small and probably insignificant for the RP, that can be overseen in RL I will usually put it as /ame. For example: "/ame sighs"
I do that because the /me is seen in the chat while the /ame isn't.

What I saw in the past a lot of times is that in robberies and other situations like that, where it is important for all parties to see what is happening, that people use /ame. Is that actually ok?
I mean situations like you are facing away, a person approaches from behind and does "/ame unholsters a desert eagle and aims it at your head". If I don't react at first because I didn't see the /ame and think it was asspulling, then who is right? Me because there was no way that I could have seen that he didn't asspull or him because he typed an /ame and therefore somehow RPed? (I feel that using /ame for such things is really close to PG)

It has not happened to me specifically but I saw it happen that way and I just would like to have some clarification on this. Sure it is sometimes difficult to draw the line of when is something important enough to put it as /me but still there are clear cases in my opnion > everything that is significant for the following RP should, in my opinion, be a /me. No?

cheers
Caitlin

Duff

Donator
It depends on what the situation is. Personally, I feel /ame works better than /me as /me spams the screen sometimes, especially in a crowded area. If I am roleplaying with just one other person in private, I use /me otherwise I would almost exclusively use /ame.

I find descriptive binds are better in /ame as you can avoid filling the screen with lines upon lines of crap. However, when performing an action, such as drawing a weapon, I use /me so there is no dispute that the weapon has been drawn RPly.

And its "safe" not save.

Joe

Retired Admin
Caitlin said:
I have a question concerning /me and /ame.
(can't /n anymore, therefore asking here)

So usually I will use a /me if it is something long and should be seen by the people I RP with. Something like "/me unlocks the save and takes 100 dollars out of the pile of money in the save"
If I have something small and probably insignificant for the RP, that can be overseen in RL I will usually put it as /ame. For example: "/ame sighs"
I do that because the /me is seen in the chat while the /ame isn't.

What I saw in the past a lot of times is that in robberies and other situations like that, where it is important for all parties to see what is happening, that people use /ame. Is that actually ok?
I mean situations like you are facing away, a person approaches from behind and does "/ame unholsters a desert eagle and aims it at your head". If I don't react at first because I didn't see the /ame and think it was asspulling, then who is right? Me because there was no way that I could have seen that he didn't asspull or him because he typed an /ame and therefore somehow RPed? (I feel that using /ame for such things is really close to PG)

It has not happened to me specifically but I saw it happen that way and I just would like to have some clarification on this. Sure it is sometimes difficult to draw the line of when is something important enough to put it as /me but still there are clear cases in my opnion > everything that is significant for the following RP should, in my opinion, be a /me. No?

cheers
Caitlin

Hello.

I'm not sure if there is a rule.. which says that you have to use /ME When such actions such as taking out a gun are being preformed, But I'm guessing for a good RP it should be like that. The bad thing is /ame's last for a few seconds, while /me's, Even though they may clog the screen, are still better for use of things like long rolls of text such as "Reaches in to the safe and coils his fingers around something, taking it out". But In things like shootouts it is easier to use an /ame but Only if it is clearly visible, I personally do use /ame for unholstering a weapon but there have been times when I have been accused of scrolling and asspulling as the other party had their camera rotated the other way or whatever so they didn't see it. But I will double check if there is any sort of regulation regarding using /ame and /me.

But I also use /ame's for basic repetitive things such as, Talking on my radio, or Opening a gate, things that aren't particularly needed to be seen, but are just there to add to the RP element. However I imagine for someone coming up behind you a /me should be used. I will double check and get back to you.

Thanks
Shakerz

Cain

Silver Member
Problem with "/me"s in situations like robberies is that they "cover more ground", meaning, even though you're in a well hidden alley, someone on the street can see your /me, then MG a bit, and just "accidentally" stumble upon you and take advantage of that situation. That's why "/ame"s are more convenient for a robber, even though it makes it tougher for others to keep track of the situation.

In my few weeks playing here, I've had an unpleasant experience with people metagaming (just showing up to a hidden location, armed to their teeth, even though there's no IC way they could know what's going on there), where either TS was used, or /me gave us up. As that could be very frustrating, I can't blame the people that use /ame to make sure that doesn't happen.

Jarokee

Donator
I find it better to use /ame for guns so that someone doesn't read chat, MG it and look round to find me and shoot me. I guess it doesn't really matter which one you use, I try to keep insignificant actions to /ame, but if I'm RPing stuff then I'll usually use /me, as it makes the RP easier to follow.

Caitlin

Donator
Thanks for all the answers. Just now I have another "concern" or whatever.
Say this was irl. Wouldn't you make sure to be well hidden or at a place with no other people around? Wouldn't you make very sure, especially if you want to rob that you are stronger and can get away? Say have a second person keeping watch, or luring the person far away from other people.
When someone takes out a gun, it can be seen (just like /me). The /me doesn't really go that far. I tested how far away a /me can still be seen. And converted into rl that would be just a few meters. Maybe 7 or 8 meters... something like that. And that is also about the distance I would be able to actually notice something. So I might here a clicking noise from flicking the safety of the gun off or I might hear suspicious whispering.
So if you use a /me you actually make the situation real for yourself as well, no?
If I were to play a character who does rob people, I would make sure to lure someone away. For example take PC beach. A lot of robberies happen there, right in the open, in front of the bait shop. Why not lure the people into the corner the farthest away from public and do it there? At least it is RPed and even the robbed person gets something out of it > the RP.
Although I get what you're saying. Like when there is a building in between, say you do it behind the bait shop. But still. Why not make sure that if he shouts he won't be heard etc...

Of course this is not just about robberies but as the most common and best example I like to stay with it.

I think the same would apply to other situations. For example RPing a car crash. Being hurt in the car and RPing your insuries with a /me in that case makes far more sense then with /ame. Like "/me tries to crawl out of the car but cuts his thigh open on a big piece of windshield glass /do I would be bleeding heavily" That's important. How did the wound get there? Is it because of an open fracture or because I cut myself? Could there be glass in my wound now? That piece of background info adds to the RP, doesn't it.

Karner

Banned
I use Ames for quick actions or expressions and /mes for actions that would be noticeable via noise or motion.

When I withdraw a gun I use AMEs as 9/10 it's during a firefight. I use /ame because its impossible to meta game and its a quick action that would only be noticeable if I was being looked at.

Caitlin

Donator
Thanks for all the answers so far. Very helpful.

Only one last question that kinda fits here.
I get the thing in a firefight. When you have to rp, you don't wanna fill the screen with /me and to pull your weapon you use /ame.
But in the very specific situation of a robbery, if I face my camera away because that's just where I am looking right then, and someone wants to rob me and pulls with /ame.
He did RP it but for me it would feel as if he just asspulled. Say I end up reporting for asspulling (I rarely report anyone). Who would be right in that case? I suppose without SS from the robber who shows in chat the /ame notification I would probably be right. With SS would he be automatically right or would he be punished because I couldn't possibly see that he didn't asspull? (Didn't happen to me, just finding this szenario interesting)

Karner

Banned
He would be asked to resend the AME.. If they take too long, they obviously asspulled

Status
Not open for further replies.