What's new

How to earn money by roleplay.

2SHORT

Bronze Member
How to earn money by roleplay
First of all, I want to say that roleplay comes first, money second so we don't have any misunderstandings here.
It is not hard to see that many players on RC-RP are chasing money brainlessly. Flipping everything they can, without any logical roleplay or background story behind it. I hope this guide will help a few people to understand the value of roleplay itself, and to show that RP can actually make you a nice amount of money. Let's get started.

1. Basics will always be the most important.
Let me explain. By basics I mean what all of us do while in-game, every day. The very basic you have to complete is to roleplay real life happenings all the time. At this point I will rather name a few examples of when did I see totally unrealistic happenings in-game that are being repeated all over and over again.

Businesses - Not once, not twice, I couldn't even count how many times did I happen to be in a situation when I was in a business (bar, restaurant, club, ...) and after the official closing of the place, manager let me or other people to stay as long as I wish. Now think about this...If you would manage a restaurant in real life, would you let some random people to stay in there as long as they wish while you go and do your own thing? I don't think so, cause they would rob the fuck out of it. Let's talk about the staff in businesses. If you roleplay as a bartender or a waiter, don't be afraid to make a mistake. Your character can break a glass, pour the wrong drink, if a customer asks you about the drink...Don't be afraid to roleplay like your character doesn't have a clue instead of instantly googling the information, turning your character in Stephen Hawking volume 2. It is normal, it happens in real life daily that bartenders or waiters mess up, bring a different order, mix up the drink wrongly, break the glass or a plate, even bring an alcoholic drink when the customer wanted non-alcoholic one. Let your character to learn from the mistakes so he can learn and evolve ICly.

Flipping - This method of making money is extremely popular not only on RC-RP. But what's wrong about it? You can see literally everyone flipping cars or houses. Without any background logical roleplay, without any skills of the character who does it, without almost any roleplay at all. Imagine that you move to a foreign state or town. What do you do first? "Yeah bitch imma work for pizza delivery, buy a house flip it skrr easy money." I'm sure that if you would want to re-sell assets without any knowledge about the real life things around it which is mainly the documentation which is pretty complicated, you would probably get lost in it. Want to flip houses and cars? Go for it, great way to earn IG cash but make it realistic. Make your character to gather knowledge about it and involve RP in it. Perfect example is @ForumName . This guy is able to roleplay the fuck out of a house he wants to flip, he's able to spend hours on roleplaying around the assets that are supposed to be sold for a higher price. Why? Because his character has long, long background story which was properly roleplayed and if there was only one person who would be allowed to flip assets? That would be him.

Side-jobs - Also another popular method of making money on RC-RP. Great for people who are new to heavy RP, but? Make sure to walk out of it at one point. I have seen people who roleplay being a successful, rich dude living in a luxurious apartment/house, driving a car that would make your eyes bleed by how unique and expensive it is. I haven't seen a person who is financially free working for pizza company or transporting goods for a trucking company. Many times there are excuses like "It is just a quick thing to make money." "It is something I do while I don't have anything to RP." "It is something I see as an OOC thing to get some extra cash."
But that won't work. Your character stays IC all the time. What would people think of you if you lived in amazing conditions but worked as a driver for pizza fast food or a trucking company? Make sure to keep things logical and realistic. Side-job is a great opportunity for a character development if your character is new, he has to climb his way from the bottom, but use this smartly.

2. Realistic details matter.
As @Doherty said in his guide, keep things simple. But if you want to roleplay around realistic actions, items, occasions? Make sure to roleplay it the way other players would see that you know what you're doing. You can easily keep things simple and a little bit detailed at the same time. Now this is very controversial topic but I'll do my best to explain my point of view on it. In-game, I own Fort Carson jewelry. Many players complain about the items being too expensive without any in-game value for the character. But that's not right. Roleplay comes first, perfect example for this point is @paxie , this guy has bought items worth about $100,000 and to this day he is roleplaying around them, they are affecting his character, they are allowing his character to develop even further. Whenever I see him in-game, he makes sure that those items he is roleplaying are visible to everyone who's around him and that's how it should be. @Slipky ? His faction has came up with so many unique and realistic ideas such as selling cigars or selling vending machines for businesses that might use it and I was never more glad to pay for roleplay than that moment. If my character owns a jewelry store in-game, he learns about it, he evolves it, but most importantly...Everything in-game is realistic. Diamond testers, displays, list of carat values in advantage of their prices, knowledge about the jewelry such as it's origin, brand, interesting notes about the brand itself.
Now let's take this to a few examples. Do you roleplay as a bartender? Previous point has explained that your character has to develop and involve to a certain level. What should your roleplay involve in this level?
If your character learns about his profession, his duty, his environment while he's working, now is the time for you to learn OOCly. Some players can still appreciate a proper and realistic roleplay with IG cash.

Example: Let's say that you are a bartender, and a customer orders let's say a glass of Hennessy, which is cognac. Would you pour this drink in a tall glass that is being used for mineral water? You would pour it in a cognac glass, which has it's purpose. Learn about it, study it, get some foundation about the things your character is about to roleplay. People are willing to pay for RP, but only if they like it.

My first character on RC-RP was a dude who was selling stolen clothes, jewelry or shoes from a van. This character ICly learned about things such as situations to wear the threads, ways to clean a different materials of shoes, but it was all roleplayed and the reward in cash was hilarious. People roleplay giving you a $10 tip but OOCly you receive $1,000 or more for a 3 minute roleplay. If you roleplay managing a high class restaurant for example...In real life, would basic knowledge such as order and deliver do? No. In real life, people who work in such places are required to have knowledge about the profession or they are required to learn it and evolve to a point where they can do the job without being fired. So if you work in a high class restaurant ICly, make sure to roleplay progress of your character. Learn about the meals. Their origin, their estimated taste, interesting facts about the meal itself, or learn how to serve following IRL etiquette and make sure to RP it. This brings more attention to the players and the moment of a surprise as well, which can be rewarded in a fine amount of IG cash.

3. If you want to take, don't forget to give.
If you roleplay realistic happenings accordingly and if you take a reward in form of money, you are appreciated for the effort you have put in your roleplay. Now don't be selfish, if you see a player that is roleplaying his position accordingly and realistically, why not appreciating it as well? This will definitely encourage other players to keep up with their effort and time spent for the roleplay and the outcome itself. It doesn't feel good to spend massive amount of time to improve your character in-game while you don't see an outcome, does it? At this point you might find out that roleplay is a number one value that could give you an access to different rewards, you might as well see that the environment cares about roleplay itself and not just the money. Appreciate other players' roleplay and we might see RC-RP turning into even better server than we see today.

Last edited: