What's new

[GUIDE] RP of buying a used car

Mario7

I decided to create this guide to remind that buying a car is another great chance to create nice roleplay. :) Many players treat these transactions using only scripted features ("/sell vehicle" etc.) and I don't see anything wrong with it, not everyone is interested in this type of roleplay. So - I'm writing this for those who look for bonus roleplay.

Calling/texting a seller
First thing you should be interested in is general condition of the vehicle. You can ask a seller about it if it's not stated in an advert. If the answer satisfied you, then you can ask about mileage, known issues, if the car had any accidents, repair history, when was the last oil change etc. And next - arrange an inspection of the car.

Inspection
If your IG character isn't really familiar with technical aspects of motor vehicle you should bring someone you trust, who knows cars well, to help you - if you have private number of a mechanic, that should also do. If you decide to go alone you may google "how to buy a good used car" to find out what you should focus on as it's common knowledge.
When the inspection takes place, first you can have a look at car's body. It'll probably take too long to RP looking at every part of it so it's good idea to take car's body as a whole (using /me command supported by /do, for example: /me inspects Premier's body panels; /do Would the body have any signs of repairs?). If you're inspecting a car considered old (Clover, Sabre, Picador etc.) it's also good to look for rust.
After you'll assume that body is in good condition you can ask the owner if you can check out the interior. When doing it - roleplay looking for any signs of wear, mostly on the driver's seat, gear knob and steering wheel as these parts' level of wear often indicate real mileage of the car.
After that, you should ask the owner to open the hood and first thing to check would be if the engine has any leaks (of oil/coolant/hydraulic fluid; of course usage of /me's and /do's is needed). If the engine's dry you may then ask the owner to turn it on and hear it working. Things you should focus on are: if it has stable RPM's, if it's not too noisy, if it doesn't produce too much exhaust gases etc. You can even /do asking about fluid leaks again as sometimes it can be only visible at running engine.
If you're sure the car is a potential "buy candidate" you may now ask for a test drive. Get the car for a few rounds in mixed conditions (town, country, maybe highway if it's not too far) and (using /do) ask if there are any suspicious noises from the suspension; would the car corner smoothly etc.

Buying
Test drive went fine? It's time to decide. If you want the car, you may now just let the seller know that you're buying it or negotiate the price if you feel it's possible. Try not to fed up the seller with offer deemed drastically too low. Keep it all kind, formal and remember to stay IC.

I hope this simple guide will encourage to treat buying a car a little bit more seriously. Buying a car IRL is rather challenging but might be rewarding - just as properly roleplayed IG transaction. Have fun!

cerebration

Bronze Member
Thank you for the detailed guide. I actually learnt some stuff that may come in handy even for future IRL experiences.

I really enjoyed this guide, as I roleplayed to buy my first vehicle.

I treated it as if it were me looking to buy a vehicle in real life.

(although the other party was not interested in this act)

Mario7

EthanSubritzky said:
I really enjoyed this guide, as I roleplayed to buy my first vehicle.

I treated it as if it were me looking to buy a vehicle in real life.

(although the other party was not interested in this act)

I'm really glad that more and more people find this guide helpful, thanks for your support. Treating the transaction like it was IRL is the key to have best possible experience.
As I stated above, I do understand that not everyone looks for this type of roleplay. However, as I observe my recent transactions, I can say that majority of my contractors were roleplaying as good as they could, rather than rushing the process.

Muncini

Donator
Love this :thumbup: Been trying to focus at this mostly with the miles, but people don't care about the miles that much lol Still a good one :thumbup: