What's new

[GUIDE] Gym fighting with /rolldice

50p

Retired Admin
ANk8VBc.png

A role-play way of fighting instead of "button smashing"
R8fJp4E.png

So, there's a lot of players out there who like to role-play the tough guy that knows how to box and can't be defeated and hand on heart, I am one of them. I have always been fascinated with the idea of creating a characters who's development focuses entirely on working out, training and fighting at a semi-professional level. With what I call "button smashing" it's 90% luck and 10% skill. This is essentially a fight where you hold Shift to block and smash that left mouse button to attack. This is fine in a brawl situation or in my Rumble Night events at The Black Stallion Gym, but there are those of us out there who prefer to role-play their attacks, blocks, slips, take-downs and injuries. The button smashing technique becomes a problem in gym fighting role-play. Your character could be a guy who's around 190lbs with muscle definition like he's carved out of chocolate, but you could loose to a guy who's brittle as you are bulked, simply because the button smashing technique requires very little skill or practice and is mostly based on luck. This is a simple guide on how you can use /rolldice to fight and this is a practice that my gym, The Black Stallion Gym use and encourage others to use. So, this really does only apply to those that are role-playing a career in professional fighting either at my gym or any other gym that want to adopt or understand this style of role-play. It will generally be a collective agreement between the gym you're role-playing with and yourself to honestly maintain your record and provide evidence with screenshots for wins, losses and training. It's highly encouraged that you create a character development thread.

I do NOT claim any credits for this technique. I hold no rights to the original idea. I found this technique being used elsewhere and I have simply adjusted the technique to be more suitable and written this guide to help players understand it.

You will first start out by choosing whether you want to be an Offensive, Defensive or a Balanced fighter and each is different but very simple to understand. Basically, an offensive fighter will receive a bonus to his attack dice and a penalty to their defence dice. A defensive fighter will receive a penalty to their attack dice and a penalty to their defensive dice and a balanced fighter will have a completely balanced attack and defensive dice with no penalties or bonuses. See bellow for an example and comparison of the three play styles:

Ig0sV9d.png

As a fresh fighter you won't necessarily be considered a "fighter" yet. However, what you're going to want to do first is join a gym, work out at home or on the streets using old school methods. You're going to want to take screenshots and post on your character development thread if you have one, which is a key part to this system. People need to see how your character has developed, how he's gone from 170lbs to 185lbs and the scale that it's taken. That kind of gain won't happen overnight. You're going to want to get yourself noticed by your gym or by somebody who's perhaps role-playing as some kind of sponsor or fight promoter, essentially somebody with influence. Building a fighting career alone is very difficult. Once you get noticed you'll probably be regarded as a "Prospect". A Prospect by definition is a person regarded as likely to succeed. This term can be used in all kinds of forms, in sales people often call a potential customer a Prospect and in the motorcycle club world, somebody who is Prospecting is somebody who's earning their place to be a potential member. The long and short is, it's somebody who is likely to succeed, but not all Prospects do!

Once you're pretty much regarded as a Prospect, your gym will keep a close eye on you, they might find you a trainer, they might train you themselves or they might just watch you train but basically your gym, trainer or promoter is going to be the person that'll find or organise a fight for you. Sure, you can find your own fights but generally you're not going to get anything serious until you get noticed by somebody who can see the potential in investing their time in you. You might organise a few of your own backroom fights and get noticed by somebody who wants to start organising legitimate "card fights" or maybe they already do. A card fight is a fight that will count on your record, your wins and losses and increase your dice roll stats.

As a new face in the gym/fight scene your dice stats will be low. A balanced fighter will have only a six sided attack and six sided defence dice, thus an offensive fighter will have a seven sided attack and five sided defence dice and lastly a defensive fighter will have a five sided attack dice and a seven sided defence dice. You will increase your dice stats by winning fights and building a professional record. That'll of course be determined by the gym you're from, but as an example, you're talking a +2 bonus to both your attack and defence dice for winning a fight. Your stats will decrease by -2 by loosing fights, however your stats can't go any lower than where you started off.

Here's how a fight actually works. You'll generally be pitted against a fight of equal statistics or as close to as possible, unless you push to challenge somebody higher than you or if they push to challenge you. It's generally highly discouraged but there is always a chance that the fight can go the way in which nobody expects however with this technique the chance of success and failure is balanced by experience, effort and luck. Some fighters who's odds are far greater to win might end up loosing on the nigh by pure fluke, just because his head wasn't in it. You have to be as mentally strong as you are physically.

Before a fight takes place, there will generally be a one to two week window for the two fighters to be given time to train, post screens and develop their characters in preparation for the upcoming fight. This also gives your gym or venue organisers time to create posters, advertise and to sell tickets for the event. Some low level fights might even be free to enter, others might cost say $1,000 a ticket. Generally, the two fighters and their trainers/promoters/managers will have prearranged the pay out for the two fighters, win or loose. Some fighters will get a higher pay out depending on their likeability, skill and general ability to draw in a crowd. If there's more spectators buying tickets, there's more money to pay a fighter. In 98% cases, the 2% being charity fights, the winner will always get a greater payout for winning.

One or two days before the arranged fight date, the fighters will meet with with the fight organisers to determine their effort in training based on their screens and development. This is where a fighter who is not evenly matched can make himself evenly or at least all most evenly matched to his opponent. Fighters will receive a 0-3 temporary fight bonus for the effort they have made in training. This will be based on the quality and quantity of their screens in the training period. This is determined by the fight organisers or gym that you're fighting in. In the interests of fairness, I stress that the fight bonus be awarded sportingly and highly discourage organisers or fighters not to mix their OOC friendship with either fighter and award bonuses on who they want to win the fight, it's completely based on the fighters effort. I understand this does add an OOC influence to the technique but this is to encourage role-play. If you can't edit screens, then learn. You'll be rewarded for this.

Okay, so now on to HOW A FIGHT ACTUALLY WORKS. Both fighters will of course role-play touching gloves and going to their corners, blah, blah, blah. Both fighters will then roll their highest dice, whether that be attack or defence. This includes their temporary fight bonus added on. Whoever gets the highest number will get to attack first. If a fighter rolls his 20 sided attack dice and lands 15, the defender will need to roll his defence dice and get a greater number in order to successfully block/dodge the attack. The fighters will need to role-play their attack and defending action after they have rolled. No points will be rewarded for successfully blocking, only successfully attacking an opponent. If an offensive fighter with a 20 sided attack dice lands a 20 (his maximum) he will instantly land an attack and receive a point. A defensive fighter with a defence dice of 20 will instantly deduct a point from the opposition if they successfully land a 20 (his maximum). Obviously if both attacker and defender land the same, no points will be awarded or deducted. A balanced fighter receives no bonuses whatsoever. As I have mentioned above, each fighter will need to role-play their actions between dice rolls. The first fighter to reach 5 points will win the fight.

After a fight, the winner will receive +2 to both dice and the looser will receive -2 to their dice rolls (Until they reach where they started) The fight bonus they may have received before fight will not be carried over, this is a temporary bonus for this fight alone.

We have no "knock-out" victories, only wins and losses. Your record will be listed only in wins/losses and last five. Recorded as: WW-LL (WW-LL) so as an example a fighter with twenty wins and three losses might be displayed as 20-03 (02-03) so this means, although he has won more fights than he has lost, he has actually received all three of his losses in his last five fights.

So now you've won your first one or two fights and the gym is happy with your progress and ability, you'll be regarded now as a Club Fighter. For some, this is as far as they'll ever reach... Although everyone wants to be the Champion not all will ever make it. A Club Fighter is somebody that belongs to that gym and are part of that "club" again, this is not to be confused with a motorcycle club. The club is the gym itself, it's basically the given name for the gyms roster of fighters. Just because you train at the gym doesn't mean you're part of the fight club associated to that gym. At the lower levels of this stage, you can regard yourself as a semi-professional fighter. You earn money from fighting, but you might also have a day or a side job if you have the time. To progress even further you'll wind up quitting your day job to fight "full-time" and become a full-time fighter. Basically, your job is to fight. It's your only source of earning a living. A lot of fighters take this risk, but those that perhaps aren't as talented or mentally strong to take the risk either don't take it, or don't last very long and wind up going back to their day jobs. It depends whether you can earn enough money to live. You won't earn big money until you're reaching the level where you could contend for the title. If you do manage to successfully quit your day job and are able to earn and maintain a living through fighting, you can pretty much regard yourself as a professional fighter, but you'll probably need to win a few fights and increase your fight record before others regard you at the same level. From there on, if you continue to train, work hard, win fights and build your public image, fan base and likeability you might be winning so many fights that people raise the question as to whether you'll ever get "a title shot" at this point you become a "Contender" a contender for the title. With this being a community based in Red County, we're not talking world championship here. It would be unrealistic to say a guy from Montgomery that's never fought out of his state would become the world champion, so in the interests of realism gyms should probably just role-play their own local, state-wide league. You won't be the Contender for the world title, that's unrealistic in such a small world. You'll probably be the Contender for the State Championship, whatever that may be and obviously if you the champion does get pressed or agrees to fight you, you'll get your title shot. If you win, well you're the Champion and you'll hold the State title. As Champ, if you make it... You will have to accept a certain level of challenges. Of course, if somebody totally unmatched to your level of statistics challenges you, which by the way is highly unrealistic and discouraged, you won't and shouldn't accept the challenge whereas if somebody with equal or better statistics than you challenges you, you will be expected to accept the title or face loosing it by forfeit. You will also have to pick fights every so often, by this point you're undoubtedly going to have some kind of manager so they'll find you fighters which they know you can beat but are still fairly evenly matched.

Using the media is very common in the fight industry. Fighters will often call out other fighters in the press or on social media to challenge or taunt another fighter. You don't want to be seen to be weak, but you don't want to go up in flames and loose everything.

Hippie

Faction Consultant
Very interesting use of /rolldice. However, it was very difficult to follow through with how it worked. Had to re-read it to understand.

50p

Retired Admin
Very interesting use of /rolldice. However, it was very difficult to follow through with how it worked. Had to re-read it to understand.

It is a bit complicated. I'm not very good with bullet pointing or writing in steps. I just slam it all together in a few paragraphs and talk to myself.

Moneko

Diamond Member
Why not just /attempt to see if either both fails to place their /me punches John Doe on his abdomen instead of /rolldice it?

50p

Retired Admin
Why not just /attempt to see if either both fails to place their /me punches John Doe on his abdomen instead of /rolldice it?

rDdgZTZ.jpg

Because that's only 50/50 odds...