What's new

Furnishing Tips & Tricks

saIvatore

Silver Member
By no means is this a comprehensive guide, but it should give you a basic outline of how to better utilize objects and textures, as well as the furnishing system at large.

Texture Websites, Application & Vertex Fixing: Starting with textures, I find that these three sites are your best bet for when in-game textures aren't enough.

1. SA-MP Textures (https://textures.xyin.ws/?page=textures) - This site has a fairly large selection of textures, but the search queries can be confusing to figure out.
2. Gtatxd (https://gtxd.net/?search=&page=1&show=20) - This one has been invaluable. Compared to SA-MP Textures, it's easier to find what you need, but I believe the texture selection is roughly the same, if not slightly more extensive.
3. dev.prineside (https://dev.prineside.com/gtasa_samp_game_texture/view/) - More for finding model IDs than textures, but still a useful tool.

After finding a texture, the process for applying it is fairly straightforward.

What's shown at the end of this video is something called vertex fixing - which is essentially the act of fixing oversaturated lighting on objects. This is demonstrated with the drum when I applied a custom texture.

Texture Utilization: There's a completely different side to textures, however. This is where things get slightly more nuanced, and trial and error comes into play. Basically, the rule to follow is that most objects can be repurposed in a variety of ways.

Example:

sa-mp-385.png

Finding the right texture for the right object is, again, simply trial and error. This comes with ease over time.

Custom Objects: Whether you prefer to download and use custom models or create them through a mishmash of different objects, the idea here is the same; most objects can be repurposed to fit different uses.

Example:

sa-mp-389.pngsa-mp-388.png

Sometimes it can look awkward, but it doesn't hurt to experiment. Try some things out and see how it ends up. Remember - this process is ultimately about problem solving.

Measurements, Object Mirroring & Alignment: This is probably the most tedious part of furnishing, but also the most rewarding. With planning, patience and sleight of hand, this can easily be boiled down to a science.

Instead of a long write-up, here's a couple examples of these three practices in action:

In this video, I use two objects nudged in opposite directions in order to find a center for a roof beam.

In this one, I mirror the angle of a slanted wall so that its rotation can be copied on the other side of the interior. (This is a bandaid solution until rotation values are added.)

Lastly, there are measurements. In furnishing terms, measurements can really be anything. For example, if I wanted an interior to be X long and Y wide, those measurements could be taken in the form of long walls, floors, etc. You get the idea. These measurements are what allow an interior to be cohesive while also remaining consistent with the exterior; which brings me to my last point - scale.

Scale is important, within reason. You're not gonna buy a trailer and turn it into a nightclub, in other words. Try to think about the scale of your exterior and factor that into what your plans are for the interior.

That's pretty much everything I can think of off the top of my head. I might add more in the future, but I hope this helps. Good luck.

Moneko

Diamond Member
i'm sure everyone in the server probably knows how texture works, and such. but this is a great guide and all.

would be great if you actually give a guide on how to actually design interiors.

saIvatore

Silver Member
i'm sure everyone in the server probably knows how texture works, and such. but this is a great guide and all.

would be great if you actually give a guide on how to actually design interiors.
It's intended as more of a beginner's tips & tricks. Some of these things are self-explanatory - some aren't. Just a basic outline of what can be done.

Might do one on interior design, but I tend to think of it like this; if you teach someone to paint and tell them to start painting, it's up to them to come up with something to paint. There aren't always exact, predefined rules on what can or should be painted.

I'd just say look at reference images for what you're going for, find floor plans, and think about what would realistically work for that particular interior. It usually comes down to a theme or an idea, and you go from there.

Joe

Retired Admin
Really useful thanks :)

Any more tips on ensuring things are symmetrical/lined up? That's the one thing I struggle with while furnishing atm.

saIvatore

Silver Member
Really useful thanks :)

Any more tips on ensuring things are symmetrical/lined up? That's the one thing I struggle with while furnishing atm.
If we're talking about structural symmetry - things like window placement, stair spacing, etc - what I usually go off of is nudge values. It's something you can write down and go back to when you're trying to figure out how far apart support columns should be, for example. When you get into lighting fixtures - details in general - you can just apply this idea in that area as well.

A better example, and something you'll probably apply more than anything else, is roof lines. The best way to do these is to make sure the corners of the wall and the roof are essentially on par. That way, when you mirror the roof on the other side, they'll be exactly symmetrical.

onpar.pngrooflines.png

I also use a camera mod to get up close to the objects I'm editing in order to make micro adjustments. You might need admin permission to use one of these, however.

PranC

Co-Head of Factions
Head Administrator
Thank you for the guide brother.

Maybe I can use it to create a mansion in a small interior because I’m a millionaire (icly)

saIvatore

Silver Member
Thank you for the guide brother.

Maybe I can use it to create a mansion in a small interior because I’m a millionaire (icly)
Yes, brother. I suggest you start with a wall of fire logs (this creates atmosphere) and from there you'll need to implement a minimum of 3 )three) indoor pools. Good luck.