What's new

Why the stupid use of /me?

Icy

Gold Member
I just wanna start a debate here:

Why is /me being used so retarded nowadays? It's good for all the movements or actions you wanna show, but I've seen people use it for so much bullshit. I'll list a few examples.

/me runs away.
/me takes off in a chopper.
/me lands his/her helicopter.
/me gets in a car.
/me walks.
/me shoots.
/me jumps over a fence.
and just before, in another thread(not to flame but just stating it as an example) /me is looking for a place to park.

All these are observations, things a player would be able to see by looking at the screen, and /me's are to be used for actions that you cannot perform on the screen, and you must imagine. I think people should stop using /me's for obvious things, even though they are actions, the last one being more of a personal thought or action that is not viewable for anyone else, or an observation of others, of something not visible on the screen, and therefore, a /do.

Also for reloading. Why do a /me reloads his weapon. if the animation displays? Not if you simply switch over and back, but if you actually empty the clip and allow the reload animation to take place, why should you do a /me? It's an observation, it's viewable on the screen, therefore, there is no need.

Here's some examples how I understand /me's to be used.

/me grabs a beer from the table.
/me attempts to push the person away.
/me grabs a gun from the holster in his belt.
/me takes out a wallet.
/me tried to vault over the fence, but failed and fell on his back.
/me is coughing up blood.

All of above are things that you cannot show or understand properly on the screen without /me's, and must be imagined.

Just consider this.

Am I completely wrong here, or what do you guys think?

Yurik Cherdenko

/airsupport

Iv noticed people doing this as well
For example some idiots think that doing /mes makes things a rp action for example doing /me aims at the man; makes dm acceptable.
Or another example was someone said in a complaint "oh why you ram me at least make it rp and do /me" That dosent make it more rp, we can see that hes ramming you he dosent need to do /me rams you.
Also annoying if you punch someone or something they are like "ZOMG RP DO /ME" its like no you can see im punching you I dont need to do /me punches you

@Jemmy Bob: /me aims at the man = YOU

Yass

Donator
Support, it's fucking stupid. Though it is needed for RP like if they're in a certain situation like being held down or something. /me trys to get up and run. /do success?

Jarred Brown

Donator
Yurik Cherdenko said:
/airsupport

Iv noticed people doing this as well
For example some idiots think that doing /mes makes things a rp action for example doing /me aims at the man; makes dm acceptable.
Or another example was someone said in a complaint "oh why you ram me at least make it rp and do /me" That dosent make it more rp, we can see that hes ramming you he dosent need to do /me rams you.
Also annoying if you punch someone or something they are like "ZOMG RP DO /ME" its like no you can see im punching you I dont need to do /me punches you

@Jemmy Bob: /me aims at the man = YOU
When you are punching someone you should ALWAYS use /me on the first couple punches. /me ATTEMPTS to hit *name* in the face.