What's new

Why does the server feel extremely static in terms of government roleplay?

Zayats

Platinum Member
a mayor/council realistically isn’t something i see possible. how are you guys gonna provide roleplay to the server? what will happen to the judicial branch? the penal code? congress, executive branch and its authority.

theres really no where you can even have a building for a government faction. i’ve looked everywhere and the only thing that i had to work with was the judicial offices. the mayor will be useless. theres no city for a mayor either. a council isnt possible either because what type of roleplay would be done? you can’t really raise or lower taxes because i believe its calculated through the paycheck system automatically. take a look at ls-rp, their shit is awesome and thats where i really tried to get some of my ideas but re-format it to make it work on this server, i also had other people help me with formats and writing shit up for the faction who also had a bunch of knowledge regarding the united states government. there won't be much roleplay and instead it'll just be used as a power trip and people getting paid from paychecks for doing absolutely nothing. i really tried to set up a voting in game poll place to get players in game to go rp at the polls but i really couldnt figure out how to get it to work to have their votes counted, so instead i resorted to elections on the forums for senate. but i also decided on an ooc standpoint which sounds stupid but do you really want a senator who esexs everyday? the other issue is, how would the members be picked to run the faction? i'm sure a lot of people would rather have someone who has knowledge about the law and how the political system and all the branches of the government works in the united states, which is something fm would have to decide on.

the issue is that management and faction leaders need to work together and not against each other. holding grudges against people on here is petty as fuck and thats how factions fail. just take a look at when i led government, administration team members and fm held a grudge on me and it was nearly impossible to get something done without me having to go to menace. i personally don't think a government faction will ever return to this server, just because a few people have some interest to run the faction, doesn't mean the entire server wants to roleplay a government faction and a governor leading the state icly.
Good idea.

In my opinion, a government faction's leadership (i.e. mayor, security detail, etc) does not need to log in everyday. Mayoral security detail can log in everyday for training, for patrolling purposes, etc, but the mayor doesn't have to as they only have to make an appearance rarely, that's why I suggest that the character remains secondary.

However, some campaigns ran by the mayor can be worth logging in everyday. For example let's say: an Earthquake eats up Red County. The mayor can make appearances and plans and pursue ways to solve that issue, and so on and so forth. There can be events ran by FD and SP, where the Mayor will make appearances as well. Think of all the roleplay this can give to a lot of factions.

The server's events team can create problems, and the Mayor can fix them. That's not all, obviously, but it is just one big example.

The Mayor can also visit government factions to check on them, see how they're holding up, etc.

In my opinion, it's a very good idea. It will be a semi-active character, the mayor still will log on a lot but just maybe not on a daily basis.
a government faction has no point of being a thing if you won't be logging in. mayoral security isn't something you think it is, it's the police would be doing that, take a look at NYC's mayor, he has NYPD protecting him, not a private security sector. my governor character was always secondary but it was also hard to really make a public appearance at times. the admin event team should rarely even get involved, it should all be created by the players of the server, which is something that becomes an issue when you really get into government on this server. i visited the sasp on my governor character and there really isn't much to roleplay. you can always roleplay controlling their budget but without a good leader who really wants to roleplay a controlled budget by the government, what's even the point?
Well the pb is now rising and a FAC like this should exist , it would add good rp to the server.
a faction like this existed late 2019 or whenever i led it and it really didnt do good. you somewhat have to depend on the community really.

Doherty

Faction Consultant
There's some truths in both arguments.

Sure, there's not a great playerbase right now and the faction could very well struggle. But when we point to the previous gov faction, we overlook quite a few things. Chief among is the fact that just about every member of the senate/executive branch would sit around and wait for things to come to them. Government roleplay has to be about being a politician. Looking out for yourself, looking for ways to get your name in the paper. Backroom deals, schmoozing, bribes, and getting friends in high places. If you sit around waiting to make an event or write a bill once a month, then of course you won't get anything done.

Perspective's is important, is my point!

Yeah, it doesn't need to be an extremely large faction. Most you'd need is a city mayor, some government officials and maybe security for starters. Players such as myself with an interest in exploring politics on the server can't exactly bring anything forward as it feels as though there's restrictions.

But I can see why some may say no.
When the govt happened, they had full access to having Silentium to encourage public events like rallying etc but that never occured. When it was ran, it was based on California and it was held to the standards there, making it too complex for most players to join.

If it was to be reattempted I think it'd need to be a dumbed down government, like you have a mayor, they have reps, you have an opposing party with the same and the mayor can make changes in guidance with the existing court system, ie proposing bills, law changes, etc.

^ this is how it works irl put into a simple version, with a few things like your local reps missing, but having an election for a local mayor could be good, but I'd like to see it fully player elected with minimal FM guidance on who gets power because with the previous government that ruined it as it was mostly friends in the government

Also, rallying in town halls, voting for mayor in town halls, the mayor every 3-6 months being revoted could be a cool concept to actually put politics into rcrp and to give more people a chance to learn politics through the game. If people see politics rp in the open eye, they'll get to understand it and might even run in the next mayoral election. They might take interest in the law side of politics and join the courts.

This is just me spitballing, but I hope some of it made sense, because I would like to see a mini government on rcrp.

Edit: to give more depth on what I think the mayor can do, is we hold a campaign phase where we have them suggest policies ie a bill on preventing hate crime, a bill to be able to charge on minor crimes that you couldn't previously or to adjust crimes to be charged less, a bill to decriminalise certain recreational drugs even though that's legal already it's something, government helping fund certain businesses ie a care center, community centers, homeless shelters

If a bill is signed off by all political parties reps it can then be presented to the chief justice, who can then modify the penal code, ensure that the law in enforced, notify LEOs. Or, something cool for rcrp, putting new policies and laws to public votes at town halls aka polling stations.

On top of what Zayats said about them having no place to hold a government, I think PC town hall could be modified and then you can also vote there, vote in Rockshore town hall, angel pine town hall etc.

Last edited:

KidneyStones!

Bronze Member
When the govt happened, they had full access to having Silentium to encourage public events like rallying etc but that never occured. When it was ran, it was based on California and it was held to the standards there, making it too complex for most players to join.

If it was to be reattempted I think it'd need to be a dumbed down government, like you have a mayor, they have reps, you have an opposing party with the same and the mayor can make changes in guidance with the existing court system, ie proposing bills, law changes, etc.

^ this is how it works irl put into a simple version, with a few things like your local reps missing, but having an election for a local mayor could be good, but I'd like to see it fully player elected with minimal FM guidance on who gets power because with the previous government that ruined it as it was mostly friends in the government

Also, rallying in town halls, voting for mayor in town halls, the mayor every 3-6 months being revoted could be a cool concept to actually put politics into rcrp and to give more people a chance to learn politics through the game. If people see politics rp in the open eye, they'll get to understand it and might even run in the next mayoral election. They might take interest in the law side of politics and join the courts.

This is just me spitballing, but I hope some of it made sense, because I would like to see a mini government on rcrp.

Edit: to give more depth on what I think the mayor can do, is we hold a campaign phase where we have them suggest policies ie a bill on preventing hate crime, a bill to be able to charge on minor crimes that you couldn't previously or to adjust crimes to be charged less, a bill to decriminalise certain recreational drugs even though that's legal already it's something, government helping fund certain businesses ie a care center, community centers, homeless shelters

If a bill is signed off by all political parties reps it can then be presented to the chief justice, who can then modify the penal code, ensure that the law in enforced, notify LEOs. Or, something cool for rcrp, putting new policies and laws to public votes at town halls aka polling stations.

On top of what Zayats said about them having no place to hold a government, I think PC town hall could be modified and then you can also vote there, vote in Rockshore town hall, angel pine town hall etc.
100% agree. After all most people play this game to have fun, despite realism being a big aspect of roleplay server, we have to also keep in mind that people have school and fulltime jobs so a total commitment to full-on realism may be intimidating for most players.

I also fully agree with a government being pushed with minimal FM guidance, I really think something this server tends to always do is put certain people on a pedestal just because of OOC friendships. It's understandable as the server is small and most people are friends, but that has also been discouraging a lot of players who aren't exactly in the spotlight to come forth.

Wallachia

Donator
Last time it was tried, aside from the hilarious way it was run, we had huge problems with the political parties aswell.
The Republicans which won the elections were primarily made out of people who were communists OOCly and the Democrats hired the mafia to kill the Republicans........in 2019 mind you. The organization and everything for both parties was done last second, the electoral campaigns were a complete joke of retards just spamming random shit in adverts and don't get me started on the toxicity between the two parties which occurred OOCly. Huge circlejerk aswell, the Democrats were supported by the Serbian playerbase of the server and the Republicans were supported by the Romanian playerbase of the server. (I guess you can tell why the Republicans won). I was part of the Republicans at the time and let me tell you, the way that the government was intended to work was pretty neat in theory, but in practice, it was an absolute shitshow. Bad management, bad people in the parties, just bad all around the board.
I don't know chief, most people who play on the server have no idea how politics at large work, much less how American ones do. Also, being part of the government gives one an unwarranted sense of importance and it is likely that if it was opened up again, the people who would be part of it would just be farming paychecks or would be flexing their position on the forums. (I am pretty sure there is still a guy flexing his political party on the forums to this day). When you combined that with the absolute lack of knowledge and lack of mental development of the playerbase at large, I just don't think it is a good idea. All of this was without even mentioning that you'd need quite a lot of people in the government, people which the numbers playing on the server right now simply cannot support.

Last edited:

Limitless

Gold Member
Speaking about elections I want to have elections for the State Prosecutor (currently vacant) but you'd need to be a qualified attorney to run. Otherwise it won't work. And I'm happy to train attorneys from scratch, only if people would like to be trained.

wsasRO

Gold Member
Last time it was tried, aside from the hilarious way it was run, we had huge problems with the political parties aswell.
The Republicans which won the elections were primarily made out of people who were communists OOCly and the Democrats hired the mafia to kill the Republicans........in 2019 mind you.
this was such a meme at the time, not even worth elaborating how terrible the english most of them spoke. it was like they picked pakis fresh off the boat and gave a district for each to lead. i've had plenty of interactions with a good few of them as my journalist character, not only were they illiterate but their knowledge on politics was terribly scarce.
on a different note, a government system here will never work, and not necessarily from a technical standpoint, but mainly because of how uninformed and disinterested the community is towards the idea. even if it was a thing again, it wouldn't be something sought after, even less considered a point of interest in what this server can offer you as a player. and that's not even a bad thing, this is a game, a distraction from the real world where you're meant to have fun, and a government on here would only be fun for a handful of people before it dies out like it did the last year and it all ends up being a waste of time.

Limitless

Gold Member
I'm happy to volunteer slots in the SAJB faction for mayors or whatever and offer forum categories and usergroups on the gov forum, but I don't want to have to organise anything unless it's gonna give me RP in-game. Just saying cause some people might be looking up to me to start it off, being Chief Justice and that.