What's new

[TUTORIAL] How to never lose a chatlog

Menace

Diamond Member
Download a chatlog archiver. Simple, right? Well no, not really. Most chatlog archivers require you to load them up before you join a server and if you're like me, you'll probably forget. If you do, this tutorial may help you.

1. Download Shammy's SA-MP Chatlog Archiver

This trick might work with other chatlog archivers but the chatlog archiver above is the one I use and I know it works.
Plus, it's only a small exe, so it won't take up too many resources on start up.

2. Move the exe into the Windows startup folder

Windows 7: C:\ProgramData\Microsoft\Windows\Start Menu\Programs\Startup
Windows 10: C:\Users\USERNAME\AppData\Roaming\Microsoft\Windows\Start Menu\Programs\Startup

And you're done. Every time you start up Windows, your chatlog archiver will run.​

1SKZ

Donator
of course you had to link the lsrp forum

i don't have a fucking account there

Spredde

Bronze Member
Shammy said:
So, over the last week I've had a lot of annoying incidents where I've needed my chatlog to find out when I went on duty or to get evidence for something only to find that I timed out or relogged while on duty, meaning that the chatlog was overwritten when I logged back in.

I had some spare time today, so I wrote my own program to do this. What does the program do? When opened, it runs in the background. When you /q from the game, it grabs the chatlog.txt file from the SA-MP directory and drops it in a folder called "chatlogarchiver" with the timestamp in the name. You get a dialogue box telling you the name of the chatlog after GTA closes. It'll work if you crash or timeout as well.

You either need to create this "chatlogarchiver" folder manually or run the archiver as an admin the first time you use it. If you get an error after quitting SA-MP, double check that there is a folder called "chatlogarchiver" in your SA-MP folder (My Documents \GTA San Andreas User Files\SAMP).

Cheesy

Gold Member
It is also possible and not too hard to write a small batch script that does this whenever you start the game, expect it will shut down done as soon as it is done and won't keep running in the background.