[Tutorial] Basic GTA SA/SAMP Troubleshooting

Status
Not open for further replies.

Nick_Newman

Bronze Member
Basic Troubleshooting for the GTA San Andreas.
In this guide I will try to help you out with the troubleshooting of the software problems that you might have during your gaming experience with SAMP, this guide is 100% made from me. Before I start, you must pay attention that following my steps will not damage any part of your computer functionality. I'm not in charge for any failures that may be caused from failing to follow the instructions. This guide is made 30% from experience and 70% from technical view as soon as I'm studying computer and network engineering. Also sorry for my bad grammar, I think that you're able to understand what I write.

Subject:
1) FPS problems

• .... How I'm getting FPS problems?
    .... What should I do to boost up my FPS?
    .... FPS problems only on this server, why?

Solutions:

• How I'm getting FPS problems?
The reasons for the FPS problems are mainly the graphic card and the CPU. The graphic card is the first on the list because it's sending the frames ( FPS = Frames Per Second ) to your screen. I'd like to remind you that the graphic card's memory IS NOT THE MAIN THING that makes your graphic card good. Refresh rate, clock speed ( or rate ) and frequency of GPU are mainly the parts that makes your graphic card a good one. The frequency of the GPU is actually the speed of the GPU, just like the normal CPUs ( in GHz ). When the GPU has low speed the frames that can send within the time unit ( in our case within the 1 second ) is lower.
Second is the condition of the CPU. High temperature, overclocking ( mainly over 3,46GHz ) and allot of processes running the "same" time on your PC can lower the functionality and the lifetime of your CPU. High temperatures on your PC ( depending from the model of the CPU which is high and which is low temperature ) can cause failures, maybe crashes and freezes. Overclocking your CPU over 3,46GHz is waste of the power of CPU because the max speed that a CPU can reach is 3,46GHz, after that frequency we have "overlapping" on our CPU and we have this because of the material that CPUs are made from. Allot of processes running the same time can full-fill your RAM and cause freezes and crashes, also boosts up your CPU's temperature.

The story about FPS lag and high Pings:
* PING doesn't boost up your FPS lag , FPS lag boost up your PING! I've seen a lot of times around forums that ping and FPS can not have something similar, but from technical view when CPU doesn't have the power to support high FPS and lags, it goes back the whole system. It responds with delay to the ping requests so the ping is boosting up.

A good example to explain it: Let's say that I'm the CPU and I'm working to a big business and everybody calls to my office and I have to answer a lot of calls which are in priority and I have somebody in front of me who keeps asking me what time is it, but because of the priority calls I ignore him, whenever I find some time to answer him what time is it I will. That's why we have ping boosting when we have FPS lag, because CPU is too busy to answer to ping request and time delay means bigger ping.

• What should I do to boost up my FPS?
    [*] Check your graphic card for bad settings, performance and general condition ( Must me clean ). If it's old, buy a new one.
    [*] Close processes and application that you don't use, so the RAM will have space and the CPU will have reduced temperature.
    [*] Lower your graphics, if you don't like playing with spikes lower graphics may help you sometimes.
    [*] Check everything that may cause CPU overworking, some kind of virus maybe.
    [*] Check in game options that you have the FPS limiter off. You may find it here
    [*] If you don't want to have the FPS limiter off, at least check if your FPS limiter is configured to don't block your FPS, you may type the command /fpslimit <number> to set the limiter by your own.

• FPS problems only on this server, why?
This server has a lot of mapping mods, and don't forget that SAMP is just a mod of GTA SA, that means that GTA SA didn't came out from Rockstars Gaming in propose to be an online game from the begin, so it has this disavadance with the mapping. When we meet some big or/and high resolution models ( such as trees and buildings ) the game gives more models than the original game has and that's why the FPS on those area goes down. Even if you have the best graphic card the models are filling up your memory and the CPU slows down. It's normal.

Subject:
2) Game failures

• .... Failure to start
    .... Crash after some minutes or when I go somewhere specific.
    .... When my game minimized, the game crashes, why?

Solutions:

• Failure to start SAMP or single player starts instead of SAMP.
Wiki said:
Single player can load for 2 reasons - you have installed SA:MP to the wrong folder or you have the wrong version of San Andreas. If you have the wrong version it's easy to fix.
Sometimes the single-player menu will be shown, but SA:MP will have in fact loaded properly. To fix this you simply need to select an item on the menu then press esc until you're out of it, then SA:MP will proceed to load.
That's what Wiki says and I'd like to add that sometimes if your computer has multiple users and you're not administrator of your computer ( that means you're running the PC without admin permissions ) you may not be able to start SAMP if AND ONLY IF an admin never started just for one time the samp.exe file with an admin account. Also, if you had bad configurations you may try to delete the gta_sa.set from your Documents and Settings. You won't lose something, only the Video Settings and the Key-Mapping settings ( am I the only one that I lose the keyboard configs? :/ )

• Crash after some minutes or when I go somewhere specific
Simple solution is to remove your mods, if you don't have mods and you still get this problem then possible your game is missing some files, try to re-install the game. If you got your game from torrents or something else, try to find an other copy of the game to install, because nowdays everybody uploads the game with mods preinstalled or file RIPed.

• When I get my game minimized, the game crashes, why?
It's OS bug and we meet it mainly on Windows Vista ( Jesus... who's using Vista nowdays...? ) Anyway, the funny part is that the solution came from something unexpected. By replacing the eax.dll with this one Click Here stops the minimizing crashes on Vista ( ATTENTION! Only on Vista, people with the same problem on 7 or XP may not see any difference ). I said it's funny because eax.dll is the sound library of the game, I have no idea why it fixes the minimizing crashes.. system period?

Subject:
3) Connection problems

• .... Connection to IP:pORT ... Server didn't respond
    .... Server closed the connection without to see ban/kick.

Solutions:

• Connection to IP:pORT ... Server didn't respond
This might mean that you don't have the correct SAMP version thing that you always may check here : http://www.sa-mp.com . One second reason is that maybe the server has some kind of access list which doesn't allow you to connect to the server, if this case is true then the server in the SAMP list may not show you ping aswell. We actually set access lists for a range of IPs and not only for one IP so maybe your area ( or country ) may be blocked from this server, there's nothing you can do for this... You may always beg admins to add your IP on the exceptions. :)

• Server closed the connection without to see ban/kick.
That doesn't mean that there's no way that you've got kicked or banned, but because kick and bans are high in QoS ( Quality of Service ) server is closing the connection with you as fast as it can and sometimes you may not be able to see the kick/ban message. Servers in SAMP ( at least before some years ) used to close the connection when you were alt-tabbed because of a timeout. When you have high delay it's possible to get a random timeout sometimes.

To be continued

IG Name
Jack Tanner
IG Faction
Bum
Re: Guide: Basic GTA SA/SAMP Troubleshooting

Very nice, I enjoyed reading it through. It can be pretty helpful to people..

Nick_Newman

Bronze Member

Frisker said:
Very nice, I enjoyed reading it through. It can be pretty helpful to people..
Thanks you :) It's my pleasure to share it with the community.

Brushes

Silver Member
IG Name
Signature
IG Faction
SADVLA

Thank you very much!! This is very helpful!

Status
Not open for further replies.