What's new

[TIPS] How to make a successful ban appeal

Gary

Donator
A Successful Ban Appeal

Tips To A Successful Ban Appeal

Introduction
Everybody who has been banned has a right to appeal their ban (unless specifically told otherwise). If you don't make a ban appeal which is sincere, respectful and honest, you'll quickly find that your ban appeal won't get very far in terms of success. This guide will give you a few tips on appealing your ban and will guide you through the process from the moment you get banned to the final outcome of your ban appeal.​
So you've just been banned and are no longer allowed to access the server, either for a certain period of time , until a certain date or indefinitely . The first thing that you'll have to think about will be whether or not the decision taken by the administrator is valid or not. If you've been banned for something that you didn't do (an invalid reason), then you're entitled to make an appeal in order for the administrator to correct their decision. You'll still have to explain why the decision made is invalid. To clarify, an invalid decision refers to a punishment for something that you didn't do, not for a punishment that you're unhappy with. Make sure you include information that is entirely relevant to the appeal and don't repeat yourself or make information difficult to find throughout your appeal. This brings me to my first tip:

Make sure the information in your appeal is concise and informative.
You've just been banned for something that you did in fact do, deeming the punishment completely valid. The worse possible mistake that you could make in a situation like this is to take the route of my first step and act as if the punishment is invalid. Playing innocent and lying to administrators about why you were banned will just dig a massive hole that you'll struggle immensely to climb out of. This brings me to my second tip:

Never, ever lie in a ban appeal.
You accept that you've been banned for something that you've done wrong and you want to redeem yourself. The first thing that you have to think about is if you really deserve to be unbanned. If you were temporarily banned or date banned for something that you've done and you think something along the lines of "Well, it was a pretty fair punishment but I don't care too much and I just want to play the game again," then think about whether you should just take the time out to learn your lesson and revise over your mistakes again or if you're genuinely entitled to an appeal. If you've been banned for something that you've been banned for in the past, you should probably count yourself lucky that you haven't been permanently banned instead. This brings me to my third tip:

Don't make an appeal if you don't feel as if you deserve to be unbanned.
You feel as though you're genuinely entitled to become unbanned and that you've learnt your lesson and you're willing to prove it. The best possible way to prove that you've learnt your lesson is to actually explain what you've done wrong in your ban appeal to let administrators know that you know exactly what you've done wrong and exactly what you're going to do to in order to fix your mistakes and make yourself an overall better player. If an administrator doesn't see some solid evidence that you feel remorse for what you've done and that you know what you've done wrong and know how to fix it, they'll have no reason to unban you and you'll simply not be unbanned. This brings me to my fourth point:

Thoroughly explain what you've done wrong and how you'll prevent doing it in the future.
Sometimes the best way to learn from your mistakes is to take some time away from the server and actually recount on the mistakes that you've made. This proves effective with permanent bans. If you've been permanently banned, administrators will take your ban appeal a lot more seriously if you've actually taken a month or two away from the server to learn from your mistakes. This brings me to my fifth point:

Don't rush to make your ban appeal. Learn from your mistakes.
Formality will always go a long way in any sort of a situation. If you're making a ban appeal, make sure that you include your highest quality of grammar and punctuation in order to show administrators that they're not dealing with somebody who can't take the time to check over their appeal for simple mistakes and that they're actually dealing with someone who cares enough to put a bit of effort into their appeal. Try and use your best vocabulary as well. Big words make you look fancy, so put them to good use and show off a little in your ban appeal. This all takes me to my sixth point:

Check over your application for simple errors and mistakes. Try and use formal language and prove that you take the appeal seriously.
The default format that you're given for your ban appeal are some simple guidelines. If you really want to show off how much effort you're willing to put into your appeal, applying some basic formatting to the appeal can really go a long way. Here's an example.​

This is the default format:
Master Account: Text here
IG Name: Text here
IG Level: Text here
Admin who banned you: Text here
Reason for ban: Text here
Do you think this was a false ban? (yes(and why) / no): Text here
Admit to offense? (yes/no): Text here
Other comments: Text here

This is the slightly formatted version:
Master Account: Text here

IG Name: Text here

IG Level: Text here

Admin who banned you: Text here

Reason for ban: Text here

Do you think this was a false ban? (yes(and why) / no): Text here

Admit to offense? (yes/no): Text here

Other comments: Text here
Which brings me to my seventh tip:

A seemingly small difference in your formatting can make a big difference on the outcome of the ban appeal.
One of the worst things you can do in a ban appeal is to get angry at the outcome of the appeal. If you've been denied, suck it up, wait for a while, learn from your mistakes and try your luck again. This, very simply, brings me to my eighth tip:

Don't let anger take over. Deal with the outcome and learn from it.
The administrators of RCRP are only in their positions because of the experience and knowledge that they have. They've dealt with every kind of ban appealer in the past and you won't be any different from the type of people that they deal with. If you've been denied, try not to act as if the administrator knows less than you. They've probably seen instances where people like you have gotten unbanned just to break rules again and receive a permanent ban. This brings me to my ninth tip:

Administrators know best. Don't act as if they don't know what they're doing.
Finally, cockiness is a horrible feature of a ban appeal. If you're cocky throughout your ban appeal, it'll seem immensely insincere, dishonest and effortless. Sometimes people can choose to be cocky because of their high community standing, how much money they have, the confidence that they have in getting unbanned or even for the reason that they were banned for. Being cocky can also include rushing administrators to make their decision. If you try and tell them to quicken the appeal process, it'll just enable them to come to the conclusion of deeming your appeal unsuccessful a lot quicker. This brings me to my tenth and final tip:

Don't be cocky. Make your appeal as if you're just a normal and ordinary player.
Conclusion
As a conclusion, make sure you read this thread before making your ban appeal. You can make your appeal here, where you can also find a few other relevant threads to your appeal.

I wish you the best of luck with your ban appeal!

If you've got any criticism over the thread, please let me know in a reply or a PM.​

badguy™

Donator
After spending 3 minutes in the Bans section, I find this guide to be very needed and useful. Thank you.

BigFoe

Donator
I dislike this for a simple fact

If you dont know how to make a simple unban appeal

Dont

Also cockiness doesnt necessarily mean its insencere or honest. What comes off as cocky can easily be someone very eager to come back to play.

Yassin

Retired Admin
BigFoe said:

Dont

Also cockiness doesnt necessarily mean its insencere or honest. What comes off as cocky can easily be someone very eager to come back to play.

then they're not sorry for their mistakes and they won't be unbanned.

Overall, well-written guide.

Gary

Donator
BigFoe said:

Dont

Sometimes people have genuinely learnt their lesson but they can't put it across in a ban appeal. The purpose of this guide is to help them make a good ban appeal rather than just make a lousy appeal which won't get them far regardless of their good intentions.