What's new

Some basic questions...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Eirik

Ok, this is more or less just basic little things pertaining to OOC/IC and MG.

Firstly, I don't know about the rest of you, but I myself have a tendency IRL to say "kk". I've had some tell me when I say that in IC, that it's OOC, but I fail to understand why, since it is something I say IRL, as an actual word. Do I need to type it like "Kay Kay" or something for it to be accepted? I just don't get it, since it's not like I'm saying stuff like OMG, or LOL. When I laugh, I do /me laughs, or I'll type out Oh my god, and so on.

On the topic of numbers and such. Say I have $3257, and I'm talking to someone about my savings account, is it alright to say something like... "Yah, I've managed to save a total of 3257 dollars in my savings account." or should I be typing out the full number in words? I naturally won't use abbreviations for stuff like lbs "pounds" or $ "dollars", I do spell those out.

Another question is pertaining to something like say... Paychecks and Lottery Tickets. I've seen as an example, someone say "Oh crap, I need to go buy a lottery ticket before the draw deadline." and someone say that's MG. Honestly, I don't get that, it's in game knowledge, your character knows the time, and that they need to rush for a ticket if they don't want to miss the draw, and the same type of deal when it comes to a paycheck, so... Is that MG? and if so, can someone explain why?

Sorry if these seem like stupid questions, but their seem to be people who have issues with a lot of things, and when you ask them to explain their issues, they don't give explanations, they don't try and explain how you should do it properly, and so on, they just complain about your lack of ability to RP, and I hate to sound rude but... Shit ain't gonna get better if you aren't willing to try and help people understand what they're doing wrong.

I've had a number of RP situations occur as of yet, and for the most part, the LSPD and SADVLA seem to be the only RPers I've encountered willing to help you understand how to deal with certain situations.

In the meantime, I'll continue reading guides on and off to try and learn more stuff I may not fully understand.

Mueller

Retired Admin
Eirik said:
Ok, this is more or less just basic little things pertaining to OOC/IC and MG.

Firstly, I don't know about the rest of you, but I myself have a tendency IRL to say "kk". I've had some tell me when I say that in IC, that it's OOC, but I fail to understand why, since it is something I say IRL, as an actual word. Do I need to type it like "Kay Kay" or something for it to be accepted? I just don't get it, since it's not like I'm saying stuff like OMG, or LOL. When I laugh, I do /me laughs, or I'll type out Oh my god, and so on.

It's a matter of acting more realistic and because this is heavy RP, meaning you need to develop your language ingame and not be lazy on your writting.

Eirik said:
On the topic of numbers and such. Say I have $3257, and I'm talking to someone about my savings account, is it alright to say something like... "Yah, I've managed to save a total of 3257 dollars in my savings account." or should I be typing out the full number in words? I naturally won't use abbreviations for stuff like lbs "pounds" or $ "dollars", I do spell those out.

That's more up to you, it's not really that important.

Eirik said:
Another question is pertaining to something like say... Paychecks and Lottery Tickets. I've seen as an example, someone say "Oh crap, I need to go buy a lottery ticket before the draw deadline." and someone say that's MG. Honestly, I don't get that, it's in game knowledge, your character knows the time, and that they need to rush for a ticket if they don't want to miss the draw, and the same type of deal when it comes to a paycheck, so... Is that MG? and if so, can someone explain why?

Well no one really goes into detail with those but they probably know from their clock or they heard it somewhere. It's not that important since almost everybody does it.

Eirik said:
Sorry if these seem like stupid questions, but their seem to be people who have issues with a lot of things, and when you ask them to explain their issues, they don't give explanations, they don't try and explain how you should do it properly, and so on, they just complain about your lack of ability to RP, and I hate to sound rude but... Shit ain't gonna get better if you aren't willing to try and help people understand what they're doing wrong.

I've had a number of RP situations occur as of yet, and for the most part, the LSPD and SADVLA seem to be the only RPers I've encountered willing to help you understand how to deal with certain situations.

In the meantime, I'll continue reading guides on and off to try and learn more stuff I may not fully understand.

You can always ask an admin or via the /n chat if you have a problem. OT: It's RCPD.
But yeah read some guides if you need help, but it will just come naturally along the time you play here.

Mac

Donator

You can say Kay-Kay all you want, but for the most part it sounds un-professional. I never saw a problem with it... But, if you continue to say that, it might make you look like a huge noob. Try learning "okay" or "ok"

yes, your character would know the time. Whoever told you that most likely isn't thinking it through. Your character would know when paychecks are being distributed at this hour, and when the lottery draw would occur.

Yea, most people get quite frustrated, try to avoid people until you know a bit more about the server. Most people are willing to help you, as long as you don't go in the /b chat. "/b WERE IS DA CHECK PLACE". No one will help you. But yes, people tend to think that "Newbies" don't know how to RP. Which is false. Some do. Anyways, good luck to you in the server, let me know if you need anymore help.

Eirik

Thank you for the replies, I appreciate it. I do truly wanna RP to proper standards and have fun, hoping to bring a bunch of friends into the game to do the same, and possibly build new foundations for additional RP. I'll start saying "Kay Kay", just to seem more proper on a slang level. It's not something I say all the time, but I mix up between it, and "Okay", "Sure thing" and so on, depending on the situation, or who I'm talking to.

Also, I've been trying to keep more to myself while learning my way around and so on, but sometimes I get stuck in a complicated RP situation without warning, and do try to play it out for the sake of others, and learning, but some can get impatient. Worst part is, I've had one RP situation go completely south because of the other peoples lack of desire to help me understand a good method for dealing with the situation, which lead me to reading some more guides, and in turn, discovered they themselves ignored a number of factors that people expect in those situations. Anyway, thanks again.

Mac

Donator
Eirik said:
Thank you for the replies, I appreciate it. I do truly wanna RP to proper standards and have fun, hoping to bring a bunch of friends into the game to do the same, and possibly build new foundations for additional RP. I'll start saying "Kay Kay", just to seem more proper on a slang level. It's not something I say all the time, but I mix up between it, and "Okay", "Sure thing" and so on, depending on the situation, or who I'm talking to.

Also, I've been trying to keep more to myself while learning my way around and so on, but sometimes I get stuck in a complicated RP situation without warning, and do try to play it out for the sake of others, and learning, but some can get impatient. Worst part is, I've had one RP situation go completely south because of the other peoples lack of desire to help me understand a good method for dealing with the situation, which lead me to reading some more guides, and in turn, discovered they themselves ignored a number of factors that people expect in those situations. Anyway, thanks again.

That's the joy of RP'ing. You never know where it might happen, or when. Just be ready, and cautious. I'd say the most RP I always do is car accidents. I always get into them. You'll notice that sometimes people will just drive off. Ignore them, and use /report. Don't worry what people think about you if you are taking too long to type, or actually give decent RP. Because most of them time, they don't know your capabilities or they're in a rush to grab a payday. This is one motto that I live by in the server. "You can take as much time to type a /me, but it better be good."

So good luck!

Eirik

Cool, I'll keep that advice in mind, especially the /report for people driving off. I'm glad a fair amount of people RP driving, but some don't, just hit and run like lunatics, sucks having to pay for repairs on your stuff for nothing. Would be understandable if they were fleeing police or something, but I've never once been hit in a situation like that, just crazy drivers period.

Status
Not open for further replies.