[RP Tutorial] Starting off. (Updated 23.04.2011)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Eew

Donator
IG Faction
Civilian
RP Tutorial: Starting off.

<object width= "425" height="25"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/Vuj5toLeyY8&autoplay=1&rel=0&fs=1&color1=0xFF0000&color2=0xFFFFFF&border=0&loop=1"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/Vuj5toLeyY8&autoplay=1&rel=0&fs=1&color1=0xFF0000&color2=0xFFFFFF&border=0&loop=1" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowfullscreen="false" width="425" height="25"></embed></object>

Table of contents

1. What's RP?
2. Terms to know
3. What's IC & OOC?
4. What's the purpose of /me & /do?
5. What's PG?
6. What's MG?
7. What's RK?
8. Roleplaying different characters
9. Roleplaying tips​

What's RP?

Roleplay basicly means that you take the role of a character. So before making your own character you have to know what kind of character it'll be. In roleplay servers you try to be as realistic as possible, so if your character is named "Mark Wallace" you will have to be American, because it's an American name. I highly doubt that someone called "Mark Wallace" would be Asian, so this wouldn't be realistic.

So roleplaying is all about steering a character in SAMP as realistic as possible.

Terms to know

You'll learn more about all these terms later in the tutorial.

IC & OOC - In character & Out of character
MG - Known as metagaming
PG - Known as powergaming
RK - Known as revenge killing

What's IC & OOC?

In character and out of character. In character means that you are in the character, you will have to behave as the character you are steering while you are IC, also note that you can't use internet words; words like "Lol", "Rofl", "Kthhxbai" etcetera while being in character. Out of character means that you are out of your character, so while you aren't in your character behave as you normally would, when out of character you can use internet words such as the ones mentioned above.

Chatting ICly & OOCly

Alright, there are different ways of communicating, first off is the normal "T" chat. The normal chat is used for speaking while in you character.
So when talking in the normal chat behave as your character. There are multiple ways of communicating OOCly, the most used way is "/B [Your text]" It means "Basic OOC" also known as Local OOC, this means that your text is visible to the players in a small area. Then we got the "/o [Your text]" wich means "Global OOC". This means that your text is visible to everyone in the server, unless the chat is disable. Now we're over to "/n" wich means "Newbie Chat". This is an OOC chat for asking questions about the server.
There are some more IC & OOC chats, but this is the basic ones.

What's the purpose of /me and /do?

Then we are over to the MUST know commands. Since we are trying to be realistic you'll have to use a command to describe what you are doing, the /me. The /me us used like this: "/me takes a note out of his right pocket." It will appear like this: "Your Name takes a note out of his right pocket." This way you describe what you are doing. You will have to use this command almost all the time. It's needed for everything, including when you are taking your gun out. Because IRL you won't be able to click a button and the gun pops up in your hand. This should be done this: "/me grabs the 9MM laying on the table." or "/me retrieves his 9MM from his waistband". It would appear like this: "Your name grabs the 9MM laying on the table." or "Your name retrieves his 9MM from his waistband.".

Then the /do. The /do is used to describe things. Lime this: "/do I am covered in blood" if you are covered in blood. It will appear like this: "I am covered in blood ((Your Name))" This way everyone knows that you are injuried. It can also describe your character: "/do Tall and skinny, wearing a black jacket." It would appear like this "Tall and skinny, wearing a black jacket. ((Your Name))." And /do will let you tell everyone that you are wearing a backpack as an example.

You are finally ready to learn about the terms, and what they mean.

What's PG?

As you just learned about the command /me, you'll now learn about PGing, or powergaming. Powergaming is to force an action against a player, like this: "/me pushes Eric down on the ground". The player you are trying to push got no opportunity to resist your action that way.
You'll have to do it this way: "/me attempts to push Eric down on the floor". This way Eric have the opportunity to resist it like this: "/do As I see Your Name attempts to push me down, I fastly throws out a punch." Not that many people are using this method anymore, but for you as a new roleplayer you should stick to this method.

What's MG?

MG or Metagaming is a way of "cheating". Metagaming means that you are using OOC information IC. Because if someone tells you something over the /b, doesn't mean that your character knows this, right? Metagaming may give you an unfair advantage, let's say you're a police officer and you see the nametag of a criminal, he might have a disguise so you can't go right up to him because you saw the nametag. So be careful, if you metagame you'll be punished.

What's RK?

RK - Revenge kill. Revenge Killing, RKing is when you get killed, then come back and kill the killer. What's wrong with RKing? It's wrong because if someone put a bullet in your head IRL, you would be dead, not wake up in a hospital. It's a very simple rule actually, just remember that you can't go back to kill the killer.

Roleplaying different characters

Okay, so you know the basic rules, terms and commands. Now you are ready to get yourself a character, the character name, behavior and job, is all up to you. But remember it has to fit, as I mentioned early in this tutorial you will have to have a name that fits the region your character will be from.

Here are some character examples:

Polite character:

• Always behave nice.
  • Use a skin with nice clothes.
Arms dealer:

• The behavior is mostly up to you, may depend of place of birth.
  • This "class" can only be an illegal character.
Drug dealer:

• The behavior is mostly up to you, may depend on place of birth.
  • This "class" can only be an illegal character.
Roleplaying tips

Here are some simple tips that might help you out!

Tip 1.

Try to use slang as much as possible.
Some simple examples:

Southern accent: 'Git awf' ma land! - Get off my land
Compton accent/Gang slang: Man, 'dis shi' is dope! - Man, this shit is dope!/Man, this track is awesome!
Compton accent/Blood slang: 'Ay, Blood, le's get a bup of boffee. - Hey, Blood, let's get some coffee. Means; Let's get some cocaine.
German accent: This is the best beer in 'ze verld. - This is the best beer in the world.

and so on, can't list everything here...

Tip 2.

BEHAVIOR! Yes, again.. The behavior of your character is very important.
A black gangster wouldn't behave as a polite worker, would he?
No, so remember that your behavior IC, has to fit your character.

Eew

Donator
IG Faction
Civilian
Updated!

I would like some comments, even if this guide is BAD.
If it really sucks or something, atleast let me know.

Bumping.

IG Name
Jack Tanner
IG Faction
Bum
Nice guide, useful for newbies.

Btw, what's the name of the song?

Reece

Donator
IG Faction
Civilian
Spotted a mistake. On the jobs part it says Durg dealer instead of Drug xD.

Chris

Gold Member
IG Name
Damian Lost
I like the way you have done your research on Ross Kemp with the Bup of Boffie Well done and good RP guide

Eew

Donator
IG Faction
Civilian
Reece said:
Spotted a mistake. On the jobs part it says Durg dealer instead of Drug xD.
Ow, I always manage to type "Durg(s)" instead of drug(s), but thanks for letting me know!

Thanks for all the feedback, if anyone notices that something needs improvement or if there's something I should add, please let me know.

Status
Not open for further replies.