[Roleplaying] Guide: Roleplay (terms) and you!

Status
Not open for further replies.
IG Name
Jack Rockwell
IG Faction
Ex-RCPD
Hello there, this guide is made specifically to the newbies and people who get kicked/banned, asked how to roleplay correctly and then begin to investigate about the topic. Well, to kick this off, let's start with a simple question:

• What IS roleplay?

The Oxford English Dictionary refers to roleplay as "The changing of one's behaviour to fulfill a social role", well, that is PARTLY true, but not exactly perfect. Roleplaying is the taking a role of a specific character into a society, let it be virtual or live action, and project that role as a different character of what you are right now, in short terms:
Roleplay is taking the role of a character, let it be real or fictional.

Now that we know what ROLEPLAY is, we can further work out our ways inside roleplay. There are certain terms inside the roleplaying world that you need to learn before adventuring into your cyber life:

• (O)ut (o)f (C)haracter, or OOC for short.
  • (I)n (C)haracter, or IC for short.
  • (M)eta(g)ame, or MG for short.
  • (P)ower(g)ame, or PG for short.
  • (R)evenge (K)illing, or RK for short.
  • (C)haracter (K)ill, or CK for short.
  • (D)eath(m)atch, or DM for short.
  • (A)ss(p)ulling, or AP for short.

• Out of Character

Out of Character or OOC means any action performed OUTSIDE of your current character, this means doing something as yourself and not necessarily representing your role that you're currently playing, in RC:RP, the term Out of Character can be used in the following situations:

- Local OOC chat
- Global OOC chat (most of the time turned off)
- Donator OOC chat
- Etc.

EXAMPLE: (( [OOC] Michael Bay says: My movies have a lot of effects! ))

• In Character

In Character or IC means any action performed INSIDE of your current character, this means doing something as your character and not necessarily representing yourself, in RC:RP, the term In Character can be used in the following situations:

- Talking
- Shouting
- Driving
- Any other action that involves your character in it

EXAMPLE:
Jamie Smithson says: [American accent] Hello there!
Jamie Smithson shouts: [American accent] WATCH OUT!
Jamie Smithson walks towards the General Store and gets in.

• Metagame

Metagam(-e, -ing) or MG(-ing) is the usage of Out of Character information inside of your character, or ICly. This means taking information from an outside source and using it in the roleplaying world. In RC:RP, metagame is often used for such situations such as knowing other character's name by looking at their nametags, or using Private Message information in character.

EXAMPLE:
[PM from Denzel Black, ID 26] Yo, we're gonna attack your gang, how many members do you have online?
[PM to Denzel Black, ID 26] we have 5
[PM from Denzel Black, ID 26] Kay.

Johnathan Denton shouts: [American accent] get in positions, everyone! attack incoming!
The problem in this situation is that Johnathan metagamed that Denzel's gang was going to attack his gang. In more common terms, Johnathan used an outside source as in-character information and warned everyone to get ready for the attack.

• Powergame

Powergam(-e, -ing) or PG(-ing) is forcing actions at a certain character without giving them a chance to react themselves, in RC:RP, Powergame is often used in combat or robbery situations, where the robber usually beats up the victim without giving him a chance to react.

EXAMPLE:
(Balaclava) Stranger_441 approaches Christian slowly and hits him in the back of the head with a shovel - rendering him unconscious without giving him a chance to react.
The problem in this situation is that Stranger 441 (or S. 441 for short) powergamed hitting Christian in the back of his head without giving him a chance to react, such as dodging the attack and/or crouching/blocking the attack.

• Revenge Kill(ing)

Revenge Kill(-ing) or RK(-ing) is returning to a battle zone or place of incident with your attacker still in scene and killing him, this is counted as Revenge Kill because you were killed and after being carried to the hospital, you lose all previous contact and/or memories with your killer, in RC:RP Revenge Killing comes into place when gangs are attacking each other and members return to the scene of the firefight.

EXAMPLE:
1 Blood and 1 Crip are shooting each other.
The Blood kills the Crip member and returns to his vehicle.
The Crip member respawns, gets to his car and grabs his weapon from the trunk, then chases the Blood member to get revenge.
The problem in this situation is that the Crip member has lost all memories about his previous attacker, and instead of roleplaying treatment in hospital (which many of you people should do), he skips right into the action, gets inside his car and begins shooting the Blood member, even though the Blood killed him.

• Deathmatch(ing)

Deathmatch(-ing) or DM(-ing) is killing or injuring another player's character without a valid reason to attack him, in RC:RP, Deathmatch is counted when the attacker does NOT have an apparent reason to attack the victim, and the attacker is given punishment from the Administration team.

EXAMPLE:
Two citizens are walking inside of the townhall.
Citizen 1 accidentally trips over Citizen 2, resulting in him falling.
Citizen 2 grabs a M16A2 rifle from his butt-hole and begins killing Citizen 1.
The problem in this situation is that Citizen 2 had NO reason to kill Citizen 1, since tripping over someone is not a valid reason to perform murder or injury to another civilian.

• Character Kill(ing)

Character Kill(-ing) or CK(-ing) is the term used for killing off permanently a character, let it be yours or other player's - If a character is ''CKed'', the owner of that character can NOT use that character anymore, and will have to subject having a name change or making a new account. Character Kills are to be accepted by the opposing character and can NOT be forced under any circumstances (except if you're the member of a secret faction).

EXAMPLE:
SWC Gangster incapacitates and disarms HTLO Gangster.
(( [OOC] Juano Martinez (SWC) says: Do you accept a Character Kill? ))
(( [OOC] Hernando Flores (HTLO) says: Yes. ))
Juano shoots Hernando in the head and burns his body, leaving nothing but ashes and smoke from the firesite...
  • Asspull(ing)

Asspull(-ing) or AP(-ing) is the act of grabbing a weapon, let it be blunt or firearm, from an unspecified place or from a place where the weapon itself wouldn't be able to fit, in RC:RP, the term '"Asspull(-ing)'' is used when a player literally ''pulls a weapon out of his ass'', as described by many RC:RP players.

EXAMPLE:
Gangster 1 and Gangster 2 are fighting each other.
Gangster 2 suddenly pulls a M60 from his back pocket and shoots Gangster 1.
Gangster 1 dies.
The problem in this situation is that Gangster 2 pulled out a weapon that was TOO large for the size of his storing place, in this case, his back pocket. (Who keeps an M60 on his back pocket, anyway?)

Now that you know the basics of Roleplay, here are a few guides made by other fellow players to help you in your quest of achieving a great roleplaying level!

An Introduction to Red County. Made by Mathers.
Your character's personality. - Made by Chri┬ºÔäó.
Character Kills 101 - Made by Grafix.
Red County Roleplay Rules - If you didn't already read them, this is the time. - Made by the Red County Roleplay Administration Team.

IG Name
IG Faction
Re: Guide: Roleplay (terms) and you!

Umm...That's a good ... a good guide but I don't think we need ''noobs'' or begginers in our community as the server is Massive roleplay and the new people must know what OOC and IC is..Anyway, good job.

Lior

Banned
IG Name
Lil Savage
IG Faction
GDK

Would help a lot of newbies.

IG Name
IG Faction

FireTruck, I must remind you again, that's a MASSIVE Roleplay and there are no NEWBIES in SAMP, in that server...The people who came to play on that server, they must know what MG , CK etc is! I repeat: THIS IS A MASSIVE Roleplay server. If you think that's helpful...then...

IG Name
they want my full name
IG Faction
i told em rockstar

-Shaggy- said:
FireTruck, I must remind you again, that's a MASSIVE Roleplay and there are no NEWBIES in SAMP, in that server...The people who came to play on that server, they must know what MG , CK etc is! I repeat: THIS IS A MASSIVE Roleplay server. If you think that's helpful...then...
No, they don't. Get out. We're gonna DIE out if no newbies come, by newbies I mean people that know how to speak english and want to learn! Not people that just tell you to fuck off when you try to help you, or DM you e.t.c

I seriously don't know what the fuck you're saying, you've only been here since August and you're talking jack shit about what we should do? Get out bro.

IG Name
Doctor Fleming

Shaggy. Not right dude. We here in Red County try our hardest and best to make these guides. (I haven't made one yet). We hope these guides are read by new players or what you believe in (Newbies). Without new people the server won't become known. Lose it's place in the whatever SAMP. And you can admit it people have figured out ways to cross or pass the 30 multiple choice question test. I bet you most of th epeople who wanted to RP came here to this forum to read these guides. And I'm telling you that these people are one of the best Rp'ers in RCRP. So If I were you I'd give Charcer some respect for what he has done.

OT: Charcer. It''s a Bootiful guide. Keep up the good work. :D :luvrcrp:

Status
Not open for further replies.