Roleplaying Emotions Effectively

Status
Not open for further replies.

Joe

Retired Admin
Emotions -"a strong feeling deriving from one's circumstances, mood, or relationships with others"
In order to portray yourself to others as an exceptional roleplayer you must demonstrate some sense of realism within your roleplay. One of the most unused and overlooked aspects of roleplay is "Emotions". Many people complain that people within this server are heartless tanks with no sense of emotion or fear, and in some cases it is true, however in order to be portrayed as a good roleplayer it is recommended you display forms of emotion in order to implement a sense of realism which also makes the roleplay more effective and often more fun. This guide will explain to you different ways to implement emotion in to your roleplay.

This first section will explain the many different types of emotion that can be implemented in to Roleplay situations, as well as some scenarios in which they can be used in. Due to RC:RP maintaining a reputation as a heavy RP server. People are recommended to Roleplay emotion in order to increase their RP standard.
Fear - "an unpleasant emotion caused by the threat of danger, pain, or harm"
If you can roleplay fear effectively, you know you're a good roleplayer. Below are some situations in which fear can be used. There is a bad example of a scenario and a good example of a scenario. The bad example shows what a scenario would be like if one of the players fails to roleplay an aspect of fear. The good example shows what a scenario would be like if a player does roleplay fear:

Scenario One - Bad example
"One man is walking along a deserted highway in the middle of the night. A single black car inhabited by one male individual quickly pulls up behind him, the masked individual emerges from the vehicle running towards the lone walker, withdrawing a colt 1911 as he does so, aiming it at the strangers head""

Robber:"Give me your fucking money now-..I'm not fucking about, hurry up!"
*The robber begins to shake slightly as he darts his eyes around the surrounding area, demonstrating that he is in a nervous state*
Victim: "Fuck off nigga-.. I aint scared of chu'
*The victim then runs off in the opposite direction shouting insults at the MAN WITH A GUN*

What was wrong with the above scenario?
Lets think about it from an IRL perspective. You're walking down a deserted road and some psychopath jumps out of his car and puts a gun to your head. Would you insult him and walk away? No. Plain and simple. It really is irelevant who you are and whether you were an ex marine, badass who's been shot one million times etc.. at the end of the day you have a loaded gun at your head and this man seems unstable. You would comply with his demands just as you would IRL. The robber was trying to roleplay the best he could, using a descriptive /do explaining what his current emotions were, however the victim ruined it by acting like an idiot and performing a non RP action. Now lets look at an acceptable scenario using the same example.

Scenario Two - Good Example

"One man is walking along a deserted highway in the middle of the night. A single black car inhabited by one male individual quickly pulls up behind him, the masked individual emerges from the vehicle running towards the lone walker, withdrawing a colt 1911 as he does so, aiming it at the strangers head"
Robber:"Give me your fucking money now-..I'm not fucking about, hurry up!"
*The robber begins to shake slightly as he darts his eyes around the surrounding area, demonstrating that he is in a nervous state*
Victim: "Woah! Chill!,Chill!-... Relax, okay, I'll get you some paper just chill out!"'
*The victim moves his shaking hands to his pocket, slowly withdrawing a wallet, trembling as he hands it over to the man*

The above example is arguably better than the first example. Sure maybe you do roleplay your character as being an ex military. If that's the case then presumably you'd be smart enough to comply with an armed man. You don't have to roleplay fear in the sense of crying your eyes out and begging for you life, but simply roleplaying beginning to sweat or shake is enough, you can even roleplay trying to remain brave whilst you are in a otherwise fearsome scenario. Fear is a very important emotion to roleplay as it makes roleplay situations more interesting and it is interesting to see how the other player will react IC to your emotions, who knows, he may see that you're terrified and think better of robbing you.. (Not likely but you never know)

Sadness - "Affected or characterized by sorrow or unhappiness"

Sadness. Another emotion that is drastically missed out during most roleplay situations within most roleplay servers. Everybody gets sad at some point. We're going to look at two more examples, this time using examples that could be related to scenarios relating to sadness. There will be a good example and a bad example of each scenario, displaying the bad way of roleplaying sadness and the good way of roleplaying sadness.
Scenario One - Bad example
"Two men who have been friends for many years take the wrong path in life and end up getting in a shootout with a group of gangsters following a drug deal gone bad, the first man witnesses his best friend get shot in the head by the drug dealers as he pokes his head out of cover to return fire, his lifeless body is now positioned right in front of the first man"
First Man:"Damn. I knew he should have taken shooting lessons""
*The first man stands up, ignoring his friends lifeless body as he continues to shoot before running away in to the distance*

What was wrong with the above scenario?
The first man just saw his lifelong friend get shot right in front of him and all he did was make a witty remark about his death? Again, linking back to reality. Imagine you have just seen your best friend shot by a group of drug dealers, sure you may be furious but you'd show some sense of sadness as well. OOC you know your friend is going to respawn at Montgomery hospital within four minutes but IRL you'd have no idea of his state, he could be dead? Crippled? you'd show some form of emotion towards the fact that he has just got shot in the head. Now lets look at a good example.
Scenario Two - Good Example
"Two men who have been friends for many years take the wrong path in life and end up getting in a shootout with a group of gangsters following a drug deal gone bad, the first man witnesses his best friend get shot in the head by the drug dealers as he pokes his head out of cover to return fire, his lifeless body is now positioned right in front of the first man"
First Man:"Fuck!, Jesus Christ No! Fuck No!""
*The first man stands up returning fire as he darts to his friends body, hopelesly attempting to provide aid before dragging him to the sidewalk, tears in his eyes*

It doesen't have to be overly dramatic, however it will make some good roleplay if you show some emotion towards your friends, or members of your gang if they are shot right in front of you. Even if you can't save them and they do die (CK for example) you could roleplay the long term effects of losing them, such as diving in to Alcoholism or drugs etc, it's best to roleplay long term effects as it demonstrates strength within your roleplay. Of course following on from this type of scenario you may portray the emotion of Anger (Everyone's favourite) remember anger isn't always about shooting someone in the head. It can be displayed in different ways, for example, not talking to someone for days on end, being verbally hostile to a specific person etc, think of how you act IRL when you are angry, I'm pretty sure you don't shoot someone.

I hope that this brief guide has helped you with thinking of new ways to implement emotion in to your roleplay! I will add some more examples and emotions as time goes on but for now please make use of this guide and please leave some constructive criticism if you have any!

EDIT: Edited the original purple text, it is now yellow in colour, hopefully it's easier for people to read.

Kemp

Retired Admin
A wonderful guide you've produced, Joe!
I'm sure this will help a lot of new players who are starting off. :thumbup:

IG Name
Daniel Evans
IG Faction
SASP Superintendent
Please change purple text, can hardly read, may just be me! OT: Amazing guide, good lay out and is very informative.

Evans said:
Please change purple text, can hardly read, may just be me! OT: Amazing guide, good lay out and is very informative.
Indeed, very nice guide! Hopefully a lot of people will take this into consideration. :thumbup:

Joe

Retired Admin
Evans said:
I'll play around with some different colours and see what looks best. I agree looking back at it, it looks a little disorientating.Thank you for the feedback ;)

Speakybutton said:
Awesome guide, even just a small amount of emotion can vastly improve an RP scenario.
Thank you for the feedback. You're right. Emotion makes a RP scenario way much better as it shows that people aren't all emotionless super tank ex military combat people. ;)

Kemp said:
A wonderful guide you've produced, Joe!
I'm sure this will help a lot of new players who are starting off. :thumbup:
Thank you Mr Kemp. I hope it will ;)

Morgan said:
Indeed, very nice guide! Hopefully a lot of people will take this into consideration. :thumbup:
Thank you, I'm glad you're happy with it, thank you for the feedback :)

Owen

Donator
IG Name
Owen
This is agreat guide, everyone that joins the server should definitely take a good look at this as it would influence quality rp, well done!

Joe

Retired Admin
Owen said:
This is agreat guide, everyone that joins the server should definitely take a good look at this as it would influence quality rp, well done!
Thank you. I appreciate the feedback ;)

Status
Not open for further replies.