[Roleplaying] Character Development

Status
Not open for further replies.
Character Development

Hello there, fellow RCRPers. During the time that I have been here, I have noticed many characters that appear like flat objects. They haven't developed!
Roleplaying with those characters can be boring and monotone. The person does not have feelings or any special characteristics.

How can I develop a character?
You could try making up a simple story for yourself. Include things like 'Where is he/she from?' 'How old is he/she?'.
Write down some characteristics your character has. Is he/she... Very generous? In the need for speed? A very stupid person?

What can I develop?
There are many, many things. A few examples:
  • Appearance. How does your character appear? Tall? Short? Fat? Thin? Beard? Bald?
  • Likes & dislikes. What does your character order at a bar? What color does he/she like on his/her car? Does your character hate on city-folk, maybe?
  • Fear. What is your character scared from? Small rooms? Being in a group of people? Cops?
  • Origin. Where's your character from? Red County? Vice City? New York?
  • Personality. Is your character jolly? Easily angered? Loving everybody?

Why should I develop my character?
Developing your character creates roleplay for you and others. You can shoot a gun for the sake of killing another, but how would your character feel about it? Sadness, perhaps? Developing your character is an important aspect of roleplaying.

Two of my characters:
  • Ross DiMauro. The SANews CEO who has a slight alcohol problem. Loves his purple Washington. Father from Italy, mother from Scotland. Hates spending money.
  • Vincent Payne. A mobster with morals. Prefers not to use a weapon, because of his dislike of deaths. Prefers to injure. Does not break his promises and likes working on his Burrito.

This is a good guide, lots of people should read this a develop their characters further, it would make the server beyond more appealing! We are a heavy Roleplay'ing server after all. :cowboy:

IG Name
Geert Pilders
IG Faction
P-W-N-E-D.
Is he/she homosexual?
Is he/she a dick or very a nice person?

nais guide

IG Name
Miller
I think people should learn and take in this guide when creating characters so we don't have all of these non-emotional OG characters.

IG Name
wow nice
IG Faction
House is back
I wish all of 'em gangster and mobster had their morals and feelings, likes and dislikes. :cool:

Would be handy if everyone did this, I already have a background story and personality set for my character, but unfortunately I can't really play it out atm, trying to rush petty tasks so I can.

Kumode

Retired Admin
That's true - many players just role play a generic character without a history and without future, they just role play a generic gang member or a generic cop. People should take notice of this topic as well.

IG Name
smth
IG Faction
smth else
This guide is nice, what people should also remember is that characters develop through experiences on the server too, as events that happen there can cause them to develop.
For example, my character HollyLou has been arrested quite a few times, so therefore she has started to distrust cops.

jarokee said:
This guide is nice, what people should also remember is that characters develop through experiences on the server too, as events that happen there can cause them to develop.
For example, my character HollyLou has been arrested quite a few times, so therefore she has started to distrust cops.
This is very true, It's probably the best thing to constantly alter your character slightly as you go on based on events. Wouldn't make much sense if I got hit by a car crossing the street, then the next day go rushing across a street without looking both ways. Normal people would develop a fear after an incident like that, not to say it would stick with them forever, but at least for a period of time until they felt comfortable and safe again.

Status
Not open for further replies.