What's new

Random question about accents

Jboi

Retired Admin
Is the American accent "interesting" to anyone who speaks English from outside the United States? I know a lot of Americans who go crazy over British accents (A friend of mine had one in Middle School and my Social Studies teacher always called on him to answer questions) but like, is it the same for American accents over in the UK?

Yassin

Retired Admin
I know that I get hype about Indian accents. I get aroused by New Zealish and Australian accents. British accents sound like I'm listening to a speaking dictionary, but they're funny. Other than that, I think yes..yes it is. I lived in England for four years and when I saw an American I was surprised, although it was a kid my age, 8 years old at the time. It was fun to hang out with him.

Tiger

Donator
When I was like 11 I always wanted to hear an American accent. This Canadian cover teacher came in and it was damn awesome. Now I'm used to the accent but I still find it cool when I hear them in person; not online or movies.

Headless

Silver Member
I myself have an Indian accent and some guys love it. Personally I favour British accent over American. My favourite accent will be Yorkshire (Yeah, you got right, Emmerdale speaks in it :D, I love how he pronounce community and several other words). In a sentence, I find British accent more sweet and cute than American.

Bauer

Retired Admin
Jboi said:
Is the American accent "interesting" to anyone who speaks English from outside the United States? I know a lot of Americans who go crazy over British accents (A friend of mine had one in Middle School and my Social Studies teacher always called on him to answer questions) but like, is it the same for American accents over in the UK?

I want an American accent.

Ink

Retired Admin
It sounds normal, cuz of the movies and all people got used to it and are not paying much attention to it.

Jack

Donator
I have an American friend so it just sounds normal to me but when I went to New York I was more aware of the accent as you would be and noticed differences in the accent even though it was all in one place. Especially when some gang bangers were harassing us. :no:

Nick

Donator
Mehh, some people can have REALLY distinct Amer accents which are kinda 'amusing' if ya like... but not really, talking with most Americans is just like talking to anybody really...

UnkindMuse

Banned
They annoy the shit out of me tbh. I don't really notice it in movies as much. My accent (Janner#Plymouth) sounds like I'm a farmer apparently...south western UK.