What's new

Player Involvement in Government - A Thought

Shplink

Bronze Member
Hello everyone,

My name is Shplink and I have been a player on San Andreas Multiplayer since 2010. I have been around the block several times and during my tenure on SAMP I have been in many factions. One of the things that I have learned is the importance of a Government in the interest and experience of a proper roleplay server.

I have heard a lot of great things about Red County Roleplay, and I very recently joined this server. Now, I am not trying to change everything on this server because there are a lot of things that this server does better than I have seen on other servers. However, the one place that I really see could use some improvement is from the server’s Government.

The first thing that I have noticed the complete lack of a State Constitution. Some of you may ask “well, why do we need a state constitution?” And the answer I have is very simple: This is real life.
If we are roleplaying that San Andreas is a state of the United States, and that we live in San Andreas, then it is legally required that every state of the United States should have a Constitution (especially one that prohibits slavery since the 1860s and 1870s). Now where does a constitution benefit the players? The players will be able to read the constitution, or information could be pulled from the constitution into a sort of guide, that will give them all that you need to know about Government. How do you think all of the requirements to become a President of the United States were established? They were established in the US Constitution. The same thing happens in State Constitutions such as Nebraska which holds Governors to a limit of two consecutive terms and one term being four years.

In addition, the constitution also creates the foundation for the processes of the Senate. It can establish how districts are created, how senators can be elected, and how they might be appointed during a vacancy.

One of the important things that a State Constitution will allow is that it will let a player have the opportunity to have a voice in what happens in their community. If you want marijuana to be legalized, you can vote for a Senator who represents the belief that Marijuana should be legalized (typically the Democratic or Libertarian Party)

Now, why did I just give a brief Civics course in a SAMP Post? Well, because I am someone who genuinely wants to get involved. While I don’t necessarily intend to become a senator right now since I’m still relatively new to Red County Roleplay, I do want to have the opportunity to help Senators and especially help Candidates get into office. I want to be a Political staffer. And then eventually I will work on getting elected.

Based on the current Red County RP Government, there is literally nothing that even establishes the Government. The recent decision to remove the 10th District? Completely wouldn’t be allowed with a Constitution. Without a Constitution, it’s like right now we just have an agreement that certain people are in charge but there is nothing stopping a group of a few people from coming in and doing a non-violent coup d’etat to remove the current leadership.

I, and a few others on this server, would love to be involved to help reform and make the government better. I think the Government can either be a valuable asset or a complete dumpster fire, and right now I don’t see it as anything more than a complete dumpster fire.

So the point of this post is that I want to create a discussion as to how players should get involved. I think that we should have a constitution created and elections should be held to elect new senators, a new Governor, and a new Lieutenant Governor. Even if the current ones are re-elected, we have taken the steps to creating a more roleplay-friendly environment and not one that is more monarchical, unrealistic, and maybe even completely held through OOC means.

I don't want to make it seem like I am just trashing everything. This is constructive criticism and I am very curious to hear other perspectives and thought processes.

Zayats

Platinum Member
Hey.

A constitution is already in the works, and myself and a member of the Senate are already working on it. Player involvement within the faction will come soon. As of now, the faction is in a horrible spot and I'm trying my best to get it back up.

The 10th district was removed as no one ever roleplayed there. It was a pointless district OOCly and the Senator that was assigned to it had no roleplay involved, which is why I removed it and let him run the Rockshore district. Elections for a Governor and a Lieutenant Governor are very high positions as they're literally the leaders of the faction. This would not only be IC, but also OOC as Faction Management would be involved in picking the two leaders for the faction. I'm planning on holding Senator elections once we get a constitution up and running, (possibly by next week?).

Thanks for your criticism and I'll deffo be using this as a reference to get the faction standards up.

Shplink

Bronze Member
Hey.

A constitution is already in the works, and myself and a member of the Senate are already working on it. Player involvement within the faction will come soon. As of now, the faction is in a horrible spot and I'm trying my best to get it back up.
Looking forward to that. I actually was beginning to draft one as well to present as an option. I am basing mine off the small state of Nebraska which features a Unicameral legislature.

The 10th district was removed as no one ever roleplayed there. It was a pointless district OOCly and the Senator that was assigned to it had no roleplay involved, which is why I removed it and let him run the Rockshore district.
I think what should be done is instead of just doing it like that, add a provision in the State Constitution which allows the senate to determine, by law, the procedure for adding, removing, and altering districts.

Elections for a Governor and a Lieutenant Governor are very high positions as they're literally the leaders of the faction. This would not only be IC, but also OOC as Faction Management would be involved in picking the two leaders for the faction.
Sure, that is something that can be handled but I think that the players can be trusted to not mess anything up OOC-wise. IC-Wise if there's gonna be corruption or something, that's legitimate roleplay that can be managed on an IC-basis. I think that there shouldn't be any interference from the administration, aside from running elections perhaps. I think that Governor and Lieutenant Governor should be elected the same as the Senate.

Overall, definitely would love to see what happens. I do intend to help out. But the Governor and Lieutenant Governor I have reiterate is something that should be elected by Popular Vote. I think if the Admins ultimately determine that the elected candidates are a poor fit for legitimate reasons that's one thing, but until that comes up the players should get that opportunity since this is a heavy roleplay server. I could understand it on a Light RP server or Medium, but this is Heavy. I think that's something I'd like to see. Not even because I want it, because I don't, just because it would be the fair thing to do.

Zayats

Platinum Member
Looking forward to that. I actually was beginning to draft one as well to present as an option. I am basing mine off the small state of Nebraska which features a Unicameral legislature.

I think what should be done is instead of just doing it like that, add a provision in the State Constitution which allows the senate to determine, by law, the procedure for adding, removing, and altering districts.

Sure, that is something that can be handled but I think that the players can be trusted to not mess anything up OOC-wise. IC-Wise if there's gonna be corruption or something, that's legitimate roleplay that can be managed on an IC-basis. I think that there shouldn't be any interference from the administration, aside from running elections perhaps. I think that Governor and Lieutenant Governor should be elected the same as the Senate.

Overall, definitely would love to see what happens. I do intend to help out. But the Governor and Lieutenant Governor I have reiterate is something that should be elected by Popular Vote. I think if the Admins ultimately determine that the elected candidates are a poor fit for legitimate reasons that's one thing, but until that comes up the players should get that opportunity since this is a heavy roleplay server. I could understand it on a Light RP server or Medium, but this is Heavy. I think that's something I'd like to see. Not even because I want it, because I don't, just because it would be the fair thing to do.
I'm more than happy to see your draft on the constitution, if you don't mind, feel free to forum PM me your draft and I'll take a look at it. We're basing our constitution off of California, as that's where most of our stuff is based off of.

That will be in the works, but as we didn't have a constitution, I decided to simply remove it.

I've spoken to the HoF and FM will be involved in elections, such as Senate so that there is no bias and that no one votes simply because they're their friend OOCly. This can possibly be altered though.

Limitless

Gold Member
Other points were answered by Zayats.

IC-Wise if there's gonna be corruption or something, that's legitimate roleplay that can be managed on an IC-basis. I think that there shouldn't be any interference from the administration, aside from running elections perhaps.
I've been on a server with functioning government years ago. The IC corruption was so rampant it rendered the government almost useless and ran its reputation and authority into the ground, leading to an actual dictatorship and handing to one faction (with 5-6 members) a colossal amount of power. I'm sure we don't want any part of that.

Shplink

Bronze Member
Other points were answered by Zayats.

I've been on a server with functioning government years ago. The IC corruption was so rampant it rendered the government almost useless and ran its reputation and authority into the ground, leading to an actual dictatorship and handing to one faction (with 5-6 members) a colossal amount of power. I'm sure we don't want any part of that.
I've been on a server like that as well. However, a well constructed Constitution can help fight this. I think if it got incredibly out of control, obviously intervention should occur. In this I would invoke rule 0, the common sense rule. But overall, I think that on a server like this I wouldn't expect a dictatorship to occur.

How do we combat it with a Constitution? A Constitution can help say what the branches of Government can do. And then if the checks and balances are being infringed upon, then a player or group of players could bring it IC to the State Supreme Court. If that were somehow compromised, it could go to the "Federal Supreme Court" (which in this scenario could be the admins)

Limitless

Gold Member
Lol obviously but preceding that the reputation and authority was destroyed and no one card about voting. So corruption regulations will have to be in place the way they are in other legal factions.

Shplink

Bronze Member
Lol obviously but preceding that the reputation and authority was destroyed and no one card about voting. So corruption regulations will have to be in place the way they are in other legal factions.
Voter participation is an issue even IRL. I think of course there should be regulations but I think the Common Sense rule would apply as mentioned