What's new

My graphics card.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Thomasz

Banned
So, I have a question, I am really an amateur with pc's, so this might sound rather funny / weird, but I am confused to what my graphics card is...

Is it the "ADM Radien HD 6870M" one, or the "HD 4000" one... Or do they not have anything in common.

c41ef0ba9c9a148dc6c0b31c986b8000.png

Hyper

Donator
I'm not sure these are the correct terms but I'll try anyways.
Intel HD Graphics 4000 is the default GPU that comes with your computer, motherboard to be exact.
The 8670M is the mounted GPU, basically, It's the GPU you've ordered and does not come with your PC by default. Your computer should be using the 8670M GPU, however, It is possible to change between them.

Thomasz

Banned
George_A said:
I'm not sure these are the correct terms but I'll try anyways.
Intel HD Graphics 4000 is the default GPU that comes with your computer, motherboard to be exact.
The 8670M is the mounted GPU, basically, It's the GPU you've ordered and does not come with your PC by default. Your computer should be using the 8670M GPU, however, It is possible to change between them.

It's just that my graphics suck really badly, and I want to overclock my Graphics Card, but some programs say I have to overclock HD graphics 4000, and some programs say the 8670M is my graphics card or some shit like that.

Hyper

Donator
First I must warn you, Make sure your cooling systems are capable of cooling your GPU after overclocking it. Also, make sure you know how to overclock your component correctly, else, that specific component might get damaged.

First, lets determine what graphics card you are using, visit This website and follow the instructions.

Thomasz

Banned
George_A said:
First I must warn you, Make sure your cooling systems are capable of cooling your GPU after overclocking it. Also, make sure you know how to overclock your component correctly, else, that specific component might get damaged.

First, lets determine what graphics card you are using, visit This website and follow the instructions.
c57b990ecf2d23793b6770bd334ac757.png

In GPU-Z I can choose two graphics cards for some reason?

5a6c6df06ca275ee1a2c9f179cb3f2dd.png

a0b854d6326a4e21678ff61cd7853c3f.png

Hyper

Donator
No clue, the 8670M should be the one being used but.. meh..

Cheesy

Gold Member
The reason you can see two cards in because you got two. You got one which is integrated into your motherboard. This one is usually pretty bad. Many motherboards come with one. It can be good to have one incase your main card breaks as well.
The ATI/AMD Radeon card is a secondary card and is the one you primarily use, unless you've set it off in the BIOS of the computer. I would -not- advise you overclock it. Overclocking a card like the one you got will lead to significantly shorter life spans, and the amount of extra clock rate you may get is just not worth it.

Else than that, from what I can gather you're on a laptop. Overclocking on a laptop is usually not a good idea. The fans can usually barely keep the standard settings cool, and if you overclock it it may just overheat the entire system.

Thomasz

Banned
Cheesy said:
The reason you can see two cards in because you got two. You got one which is integrated into your motherboard. This one is usually pretty bad. Many motherboards come with one. It can be good to have one incase your main card breaks as well.
The ATI/AMD Radeon card is a secondary card and is the one you primarily use, unless you've set it off in the BIOS of the computer. I would -not- advise you overclock it. Overclocking a card like the one you got will lead to significantly shorter life spans, and the amount of extra clock rate you may get is just not worth it.

Else than that, from what I can gather you're on a laptop. Overclocking on a laptop is usually not a good idea. The fans can usually barely keep the standard settings cool, and if you overclock it it may just overheat the entire system.

So, anything I can do to improve my graphics exept for buying a new PC?

Cheesy

Gold Member
Thomasplaysgames123 said:
So, anything I can do to improve my graphics exept for buying a new PC?

First of all, make sure it's actually your video/graphics card that bottlenecks it. Hard drives and the CPU weights into the speed of games, etc. as well. Certain games like battlefield uses the CPU to render more things than the GPU as well.
I could advise you to perform maintenance on it, cleaning out files just lying around cluttering the disk, defragment it and make sure all drivers are new. There is little you can do when hardware is limiting you, so for any large performance boost I would simply advise a new computer. If you do a lot of playing games etc. it's also in general better with a stationary desktop than a laptop. The price range of a "good" gaming laptop takes an enormous jump as well. Sadly there's not much else to be done since everything today is made to work with newer machines.

Thomasz

Banned
Cheesy said:
If you do a lot of playing games etc.

I play 123 games mayn.

Cheesy said:
it's also in general better with a stationary desktop than a laptop. The price range of a "good" gaming laptop takes an enormous jump as well. Sadly there's not much else to be done since everything today is made to work with newer machines.

Alright, I have browsed the web for a bit, and is it possible to change / buy a new graphics card for a laptop? I heard your cooler might not be able to handle it, or that you have to buy a whole new motherboard.

Status
Not open for further replies.