Metagaming - Powergaming & Staying IC

Status
Not open for further replies.

Joe

Retired Admin

Upon joining the server you should know what Metagaming and Powergaming is. However it is sometimes easy to forget. This short guide aims to remind players about forms of Metagaming and Powergaming, the guide will also talk about how to remain IC as a lot of people decide to take IC issues OOC constantly. Like I said, you should know what PG and MG is however this is just a basic reminder as well as displaying some PG and MG scenarios that may occur.

When roleplaying you are respected a lot more if you keep everything IC and use OOC as little as possible. Constantly winging and moaning in OOC chats simply fucks other people off and ruins the RP atmosphere. If you do something IC expect to face the consequences IC do not start flaming in OOC chat. It simply makes you look like a person who has a bad attitude and cannot keep anything IC. If you feel anyone has broken a rule during RP situations you can make a complaint after the RP is finished.​

Powergaming is unfairly forcing RP on others, otherwise known as "Roleplaying to win". This is when other players RP in such a way that makes their character untouchable and in such a way that does not allow the other party to roleplay any kind of retaliation to their actions. An example of this would be in the form of a /me or an /ame. Below are a few examples of powergaming:​

""John Smith pulls out an ak-47 putting it to James's head pulling the trigger killing him instantly""​
The above action is powergaming. The shooter gave the victim no chance to RP or react to his /me he simply made a /me and then gunned him down.

"Ben Dover walks up to John Doe, putting hands in his pocket and stealing all of his money before running away"​
Once again. The above action is PG. The robber would not even know if the victim even had any money. He also gave the victim no chance to react.​

Powergaming is a very unfair and completely non RP thing to perform, not only that but it is against the rules and you CAN and WILL be banned for it depending on the severity. Like I've said, you should know these things before you are allowed on to the server but unfortunately there are those who cheat the quiz and gain entry with no RP knowledge. So this guide is for people to refresh their memories with MG and PG in order for them to stay unpunished. In a nutshell, PG is forcing RP on others and performing actions without giving other players a chance to react.

Metagaming. The use of OOC information in IC situations. A very common offence. Metagaming, or MG, is using information you have gained in an OOC form (Private messages, forum posts, OOC chats etc) and using it ICly. This gives an unfair advantage over you and once again it is a breach of the rules. Any information you receive OOC must STAY OOC. Never bring OOC information IG. Below are a few examples of MG:

PM From Danny Daniels:​
"Lol Jake Jakingson just put a knife in my face rofl"​
*Joe Johnson walks up to Jake Jakingson, taking out a gun and holding it to his head*​
Joe Johnson: "Why the fuck did you hold a knife to my friends head you dum?!"

The above scenario was complete MG. The only way that Joe knew that Jake held a gun to Danny's head is because Danny PM'd him saying so. Joe had no IC reason to know that Jake had a knife therefore he used OOC information in an IC scenario. Other forms of MG include seeing a name above someones head and then saying that name IC. You would not know that person's name as you never found out IC. You found out their name by looking at an OOC nametag. In a nutshell, MG is when you use information gained in an OOC form IC. It is a breach of the rules and can result in you being punished by an administrator.

Like previously mentioned. Going OOC constantly in situations is annoying, immature and just completely irritating. One of the most common examples of people going OOC IG is when they are caught my the police. They instantly take it OOC by accusing them of PG and MG even though the SP may have found them in a completely IC way. If you commit a criminal act IC you should be prepared to face the consequences IC! Below is an example:

Adrian Kane shouts:​
SASP! Get down on the ground now!​
((Local OOC: Peter Peterson: ????? OMG!! WTF MAYN YOU WUD NOT KNOW IT WUS ME?! MG!!))​
((Local OOC: Adrian Kane: Just RP please.))​
((Local OOC: Peter Peterson: No. Tell me how you knew it was me?! You MG'd.))​

That was a situation that was taken completely OOC because Peter couldn't face the fact the fact that he was about to get caught for something he may have done IC. If you do feel that someone has in-fact MG'd then make a complaint AFTER the roleplay. You Have to deal with IC issues IC. No amount of bitching and moaning OOC will help, it will just make you seem immature and incapable of roleplaying to the servers standards.

I hope this short guide has refreshed your memory regarding Metagaming and Powergaming. I threw in the staying IC section due to the fact it happens a lot and it is incredibly annoying. It'd be nice to see people keeping things entirely ICly when they are meant to. Please leave any feedback if you have any! Thank you.

Foster

Retired Admin
IG Name
Harold Foster
Yet another fantastic guide! Some people really need to read over the 'Staying IC' section! ;)

IG Name
Daniel Evans
IG Faction
SASP Superintendent
Very nice, fair play! :thumbup:

IG Name
Edward Black
IG Faction
Classified
Very nice and helpful for newbies to the server! :D

Owen

Donator
IG Name
Owen
Wow your guides are great, hopefully people read these and take all the information onboard. Keep up the good work!

Evolution

Bronze Member
This is not just a tutorial for beginners. I tend to read this over and over again after years of roleplaying.

Well done on it, Joe!

Status
Not open for further replies.