[GUIDE] RP'ing Wealth/Poverty Efficiently

Status
Not open for further replies.
IG Name
Michael Barnes
RP'ing Wealth/Poverty
A guide by DrTrollinski

Introduction

Hey, everyone! Welcome to my newest guide! I thought this would be a good topic to cover, as I'll be going into full detail in regards to this sort of RP, ranging from types of food and drink, to properties and just general lifestyles. I think that, due to the mass amounts of RP that goes on within the server, as well as the different types of things people like to RP, that this topic is something that should definitely be covered. So, without further hesitation, let's move on.

The Basics

Okay then, some of the things you'll want to consider when RP'ing based around this topic is the sort of things that make up everyday life, and how they may differ for those who are better off, and those who are not - remember, every detail can be important - I'm here to make sure that you don't miss some of the majorly important things that, well, you might not see as important. Trust me, there's more to it than begging on a street corner or driving a sports car; some of the things you may want to think about are some of the following:-

• Physical appearance - If you character lives in poverty, there's chances they'll have to rely on cheap and 'junk' food to get by, and may not get the chance to take up any hygiene protocols such as shaving, washing hair, etc. (This depends on the level of poverty they live in.) On the other hand, if your character is wealthy, there's more chance that they'll eat luxury-range food stuffs, they may even be able to afford a gym membership, and so on. Not only that, but their hygiene and general appearance would be much higher.
  • Mental effect on your character - If your character lives in poverty, and is perhaps homeless, they'll most likely suffer from many problems, ranging from depression, anxiety, paranoia, and many more; whereas if your character lives in wealth, or recently became wealthy, perhaps the money corrupted them, in some aspects? Or maybe they have a habit of portraying the 'wealthy/rich' impression to others (To elaborate on this, your character may constantly replace items in their home to keep it looking 'new', or they may work their hardest just to look good in public.
  • Your character's outlook on others - If your character lives in poverty, perhaps they hate those who are wealthy, and go out of their way to 'stand out' more, or perhaps irritate them? Same goes for those who live in riches - perhaps they see the poor as an enemy or a 'waste of space'; they might even despise the whole 'welfare system'. The possibilities of this point are nearby endless, you can do what you please with this one. (Make sure you keep it realistic/abide by the server rules!)

RP'ing as Poor/Homeless

Now, this sort of RP is incredibly delicate - you need to do it carefully or everything can go wrong, or it can get to the point where it's not realistic. There's numerous ways that you can RP this sort of character, but there's major aspects which you need to consider when planning it - you first need your character's back-story, you need to figure out if they have any family/children of their own to support, OR children who have been taken away by the state, etc. Then there's also other parts that you need to think about once you begin RP'ing the character; I'll list those below.

• Clothing:- The types of clothing you wear is going to be very important; if you're homeless entirely, then there's a few skins to choose from; on the other hand, if you're RP'ing general poverty, you can RP that your character only wears cheap, low-quality casual clothing, and perhaps they rarely change the clothing because they can't afford to buy anything else?
  • Food:- Once again, this can differ - if you're homeless you can RP that your character rarely eats, or eats junk food/cheap food to get by - they might even be desperate enough to steal from a vending machine or general store just so they can have a meal. For those that RP being just generally 'poor', once again, your character will most likely eat very low quality, cheap food items just to get through the week.
  • Alcohol:- Cheap beer, store-branded wine, and watered-down whiskey is the way to go for the characters that are (In some cases) both homeless and just poor; they may have a negative outlook on life and want to just try and get by one more day. They could easily turn to alcoholism due to the desperation and stress that living in such standards could bring.
  • Vehicles:- For those who are entirely homeless, there's a very low chance that they'll have a vehicle, so I don't recommend that you buy any; if you're just poor, on the other hand, chances are you will be able to drive around in a cheap, beat up vehicle; the cheapest on the market, which is the Clover or the Walton - that's the most your character will be able to RP'ly afford.
  • Housing:- If you're homeless, well, that says it all, to be honest - You're homeless, so owning a house would defeat the object entirely. (A house is also something to work towards for one of your characters.) If your character is living in poverty, you won't see them owning a house in Richman; they'll most likely live in a small trailer or flat with basic furniture.
  • Businesses:- Simple. Owning one of these would contradict the whole 'homeless/poor' image. So keep that in mind.
  • Technology:- The poor will have little to no technology - there'll be no iPads or iPhones; the most your character will be able to have is a cheap flip-up phone with a low amount of credit. They may also be confused or completely clueless when it comes to new technology.
  • Public Appearance:- Those who are poor are most likely to be seen around town in some of the more common and 'ghetto' sort of areas of town - chances are they'll be begging for money, or looking around for a (somewhat) safe place to sleep for the night. Whereas, if you're rich, you're most likely going to be hanging around the public hot-spots and flashing your wealth and popularity around - maybe it's something other than that, though. Maybe your rich character avoids being seen in public, perhaps because they're paranoid someone is plotting against them, trying to steal from them, or going out of their way to try and harm them or their family? Therefore, they avoid being seen in public and prefer the safety and comfort of their luxury car or luxury retreat home. You can do what you wish with this one, just make sure you stick to the server rules.

RP'ing as Wealthy/Rich

Once again, this type of RP is quite complex but is generally easier to do, considering that you have the right amount of money to be able to do so; I'd say there's some requirements for doing this type of RP. Remember that there's always things you need to consider when RP'ing something like this, but let's go over the requirements (in my opinion) that you need to start off:

- At least $500,000 or more in your total savings. (Wealthy requirement)
- At least $2,000,000 or more in your total savings. ('Rich' requirement.)
- A decent sized house with 2-3 bedrooms, a living room, kitchen/dining room, and a bathroom (Also fully furnished.)
- One or more vehicles of a fairly high/high expense. (Donator sports cars, etc. can be used for this.)
- A character with a well-paying job, or a good back-story for how they came into their riches.

Now that that's out of the way, let's move on to the same thing I covered for those RP'ing as poor or homeless, but in the context for the 'rich' setting instead:-
  • Clothing - It's all about Didiersachs suits, ties, jewelry, and a fancy Rolex. If you want to RP as a rich person, in most cases, you need to look the part; of course, if your character is paranoid about their wealth they may still dress pretty casually and do their best to live an 'average' life despite their worth.
  • Food - Now, just because you're rich doesn't mean you have to RP eating caviar; you can settle for a nicely prepared meal with high-quality ingredients, or maybe even eating out a restaurant on some nights; a lot of food you could RP is rather luxurious, but that doesn't necessarily mean that you're not allowed to indulge in something cheap and 'junk-food-style'; remember, there's an endless number of foods you can RP if you possess a large amount of money.
  • Alcohol - Expensive whiskey, brandy, wines, and champagne are the way most rich bachelors and bachelorettes like to roll - of course, your character may prefer something of a less higher quality, which is absolutely fine, but, if you choose to RP the 'rich' types of alcohol, or at least the moderately fancy types, I've listed a few types which you can RP below:

Whiskey:
    - Caol Ila, 1980
    - Glen Mhor, 1980
    - Scapa, 1980
    - George Dickel Original Tennessee Whiskey, 1980
    - Bruichladdich, 1970 Valinch
    - Brechin, 1970
    - Port Ellen, 1970

Brandy:
    - Cardenal Mendoza
    - Gran Duque d'Alba Reserva
    - Gran Duque d'Alba Gran Reserva

Wines:
    - 1974 Chateau Croziet Bages, 1974
    - 1974 Spanna, 1974
    - Barbaresco, 1974
    - Barolo, 1974

Champagne:
    - Krug Collection Magnum, 1985.
    - Bollinger Road, 1996
    - Don Perginon Oenotheque, 1996
    - Veuve Clicquot Cave Privee, 1989

Now, obviously, there's many, many more that you can RP, but those are just some nice little examples to get you started; using simple little things like this can really spruce up any RP you have involving alcohol. Now, from there on, let's continue onwards.
  • Vehicles - Once again, this varies entirely on what your character prefers, but those with a lot of money often like to flash it about in a fancy sports car or luxury car. Of course, you don't necessarily -need- a Bullet or an Infernus to look the part; an nice car from the Montgomery Dealership will be sufficient enough.
  • Housing - One of the most important aspects; you could be a closet-millionaire and live in a trailer in Bone County, or you could be one of the people that likes to return to a big house after work - you don't need the best of the best to match this agenda; even one of the smaller houses in Bayside could suffice, for example. As long as you keep a reasonably nice home, you'll be fine when it comes to this side of things.
  • Businesses - Now, this isn't vital to look 'Rich' or 'Wealthy', but it certainly does help. Or, maybe a business is the story behind your character's wealth? There's numerous businesses to choose from. It's all about getting the right deal and the right location, and a business with the right payout (And if it's enterable or not), and then you'll be rolling in the money.
  • Technology - Those who live in riches will have every up-to-date piece of technology there is to buy, with high-end desktop PC's or laptops, the most recent model of a Samsung phone or an iPhone - if they have children, chances are they'll have the best gaming consoles, and such - with that, those who have access to all of this will most likely despise the idea of not having something simplistic or 'high-end'.

That's all from me for now, everyone. I hope someone found this guide useful! Thanks for stopping by.
Stay classy and have fun!

Manu

Retired Admin
IG Name
Nona Yurbizniz
Great guide. This will certainly help me in certain ways.

Aug 22, 2013
IG Name
Edward Black
IG Faction
Classified
Yet another brilliant guide! Well done pal!

IG Name
Michael Barnes
Thanks for the kind words, everyone! Let me know if there's anything I should add! :)

- DrTrollinski, Helper.

IG Name
Alvaro Calixta
IG Faction
Long Live La Onda
Great guide, this is really helpful!

Jake~

Platinum Member
IG Name
Reece Macauley
IG Faction
English Defence League