What's new

[GUIDE] Roleplaying Drug Effects CORRECTLY

ziplo

Donator
A Guide to Roleplaying Drug Effects Effectively & Correctly
For too long, I've seen uneducated players roleplay drug effects incorrectly and with too much emphasis on the effects the drugs are supposed to give. I think it's high-time somebody creates a guide that informs players who may not know what these drugs ACTUALLY feel like in real life and how they can go about roleplaying their effects with some degree of realism. I think the most versatile and logical way of me categorizing the effects of each drug would be to simply list all the positive and negatives effects that may arise upon comsumption of a respective drug. This will help players easily distinguish what to do when roleplaying being under the influence of these drugs and will allow them to understand how these drugs effect their player. Now, before you begin to read please note that this list is based off my PERSONAL EXPERIENCES, I'm not going off what I've read online or seen in video-games/movies so these accounts below are based on REAL EXPERIENCES I've had and therefore may be subject to how a particular person reacts to each drug (everyone is affected differently by different substances). I'm merely going to be providing a guideline.

MARIJUANA: (ETA of first noticeable effects: Almost instant)
Now I'm pretty sure 90% of RCRP players have had at-least a toke of a joint in their life, who hasn't? But, for the sake of those drug-free nuns out there I'll include the devils lettuce on this list. The effects listed below are subject to what strain a character is smoking, and I'm not just talking about the strength. Even though all strains of marijuana give off the same 'vibe' some effects differ with some strains, these different feelings may not be very noticeable, but they're still definitely apparent.

EFFECTS: -
RELAXATION: When under the influence of marijuana, a user may begin to feel relaxed, the seat they're sitting in may become much comfier and they may be reluctant to move around, as the feelings of relaxation are generally accompanied by feelings of tiredness and fatigue. Note that some strains are known to make people energetic and giddy, though.

- EXTREMELY ACUTE EUPHORIA: Marijuana is known to make people feel uplifted, and generally more happy and upbeat about their situation. They may begin to temporarily like people around them more, and it's much easier to see the good side of things when under the influence of marijuana.

- 'GIGGLES': People on marijuana tend to find things funnier than they would if they were sober. This effect isn't apparent in everyone, and an individual doesn't just laugh at anything and everything, at-least it's not common for someone to do so. Generally, things that may be viewed as funny anyway would just become more funny.

- 'RED' OR 'CHINK' EYE: As many people know, smoking pot can make an individuals eyes puffy, or cause their eyelids to be more shut than usual. Peoples eyes are normally known to go red after smoking weed, due to bloodshotting. Someone who's high generally walks around with a huge grin on their face, accompanied by red, puffy and almost-shut eyes, depending on how stoned the user actually is.

- INCREASED APPETITE: The infamous 'munchies', everyone and their grandma knows that weed makes you hungry, but I decided to put this on the list anyway. The munchies doesn't just feel like a general lust for food, for those of you who don't know. It's like you're hungry, but your stomach has transformed into an almost bottomless pit that it nearly impossible to fill. Being on the munchies generally involves non-stop eating until you physically can't anymore or until you throw up.

- BAD EXPERIENCES: Sometimes, people are known to have bad experiences with marijuana. This can involve feelings of paranoia, cold-sweats, vomiting and in some extreme cases, passing out completely. It's actually pretty rare to pass out from marijuana and it doesn't happen to everyone, but believe it or not I have an IRL friend who's passed out a number of times just from smoking pot. When weed causes you to vomit it's generally known as a 'whitey', or at-least it is in England. When someone pulls a whitey they don't feel any of positive effects of marijuana listed above, they may simply feel really hot, or really cold, they may feel like they have difficulty breathing and may be dissorientated or dizzy. The skin colour or someone who is pulling a whitey becomes very pale, which is where the name 'whitey' originates from, a whitey usually ends in someone throwing up and wanting to lay down for prolonged periods of time.
COCAINE: (ETA of first noticeable effects: Anywhere between 5 - 20 seconds after consumption)
Possibly one of the most infamous drugs on the planet, cocaine is widely used by actors, musicians and general day-to-day people. Cocaine is also one of the most overly exaggerated substances when it's being displayed on TV and in video-games. The harsh reality is cocaine doesn't actually force everyone to invouluntarily scream "WOOO" or "DAMN THAT'S SOME GOOD SHIT" upon consumption. The actual effects of cocaine when it's not mixed with any other drug are fairly minimal in comparison to drugs like ketamine or MDMA unless larger amounts are taken.

INCREASED ENERGY LEVELS People under the influence of cocaine may feel as-though they are alot more aware and alert about their surroundings, and may have a short-lived energy boost. The energy boost recieved from cocaine is nothing like the boost seen on TV, it doesn't make people want to run around and sprint for prolonged periods of time at all. Your character would merely feel a buzz that may cause them to be unable to stop figdeting around with their hands, or something along those LINEs (you see what i did there ;)).

- BECOMING MORE TALKATIVE Cocaine makes you want to speak, like, really makes you want to talk. You'll literally speak about anything on coke, from what you had for tea last night, to how much you hate your next-door neighbour, it's hard to put it into words, but when you're on cocaine you feel like you need to be constantly fidgeting around or speaking about something - otherwise you'll become restless.

- BRUXISM (GURNING) Cocaine can cause users to 'gurn' - which is the act of invouluntarily clenching or moving your jaw. In comparison to MDMA, the symptoms of gurning in cocaine are very minimal, just involving the odd jaw twitch or jerk - but the signs are still there and can be put into a roleplay situation very easily with a simple /me.

- INCREASED BODY TEMP Cocaine users often become too hot when under the influence of large amounts of coke, and may want to wear a t-shirt or need a drink more often than usual to compensate for the rising body temperature.

- IRRITABILITY Cocaine is widely known to make people more angry than usual, and cause people to get more agitated at things that they may not even find annoying when sober. While this is true, it doesn't cause people to go in huge rage frenzies and start hitting everyone, and being on cocaine definitely doesn't make you stronger in any way. This symptom of cocaine, for me at-least, is actually easily manageable if you have a decent amount of self-control and it's actually quite rare to see someone get extremely angry just because they've taken cocaine.
MDMA/ECSTASY: (ETA of first noticeable effects: 30 - 45 minutes after pill is taken)
MDMA/Ecstasy is probably one of the only drugs that need to be taken with other people. Pretty much all drugs are more fun with other people, but Ecstasy is more so as users want to talk and communicate with others, especially those also under the effects of the drug. MD is found in both pill form ("ECSTASY") and crystal-form ("PURE MD") it can therefore be snorted or swallowed.
INTENSE EUPHORIA When taking MDMA, you feel extremely happy. Your character would be in a state of pure euphoria, meaning they're literally at the height of happiness. It's been proven that MDMA makes you more happy than the feeling you get when you first fall in love. When I personally took MDMA for the first time I remember saying to my friend "Bro, even if I won £1,000,000 tomorrow, I don't think I 'd be even nearly as happy as I am right now."

- FEELINGS OF LOVE FOR THOSE AROUND YOU MDMA can make you feel like you love the people around you and make you a much more confident and open person. People you like already will suddenly become alot more 'likeable' and people aren't afraid to tell them that when they're under the influence of the drug. Phrases such as "I love you man" and "You're actually my best-mate , I'm not kidding" are often heard when you're around people who have taken the drug.

- BRUXISM (GURNING) Gurning is again apparent when taking MDMA, but it's on a much, much larger scale. The bruxism can be almost constant, with people continously clenching and grinding their teeth - with jaws swinging all over the place.

- ENLARGED PUPILS When on MDMA, the pupils of a user expand greatly, with the pupils almost touching the edge of the iris most times - this is very noticeable in real-life and therefore should be stated in some way when roleplaying that your character is on ecstasy. People on larger amounts of MDMA may also experience eye-rolling, which is where a users eyes roll into the back of their head without them being aware of themself actually doing it.
KETAMINE: (ETA of first noticeable effects: Varies from person to person)
Arguably one of the strongest drugs out there, ketamine is an extremely powerful sedative and halleuciogenic. Most commonly used in vetinary practise, it's used to sedate horses and rhinos. Ketamine can be addictive if taken often.

SEDATION Ketamine sedates humans as-well as animals, and can make users feel extremely drowsy and tired. When on ketamine it's very uncommon to move around and not many people speak when they're on ket. It can be compared to feeling like your about to pass out but never actually passing out (unless large amounts are taken).

- VISUAL DISTORTION People on ketamine also experience powerful hallucinations, ranging from things moving around on their own to fully visualizing things that aren't even there. This, along with its sedation and mind-numbing effects can become very confusing for a user and people often think the things they're seeing are real because of how badly your mind is altered.

- CONFUSED STATES It can be very hard for people to process normal information when under the influence of this drug, for example they may not be able to hold a steady conversation as the drug messes with your mind and renders you unable to keep a steady train of thought about almost anything. This can be very upsetting and frightening for some people and can lead to bad experiences.

- PARALYSIS & STRANGE FEELINGS IN LEGS Yes, you read that right. Ketamine can literally render a user paralysed for some time, when taking the drug, your legs may also feel like they aren't there or are much smaller than they are in reality. This leads to walking problems which is why most people on ketamine are seen drooling in a corner and staring at a wall.

- THE K-HOLE When a large amount of ketamine is taken, users are plunged into a state of mind known as the k-hole. People in the k-hole are generally unable to do literally anything they're unable to move, speak, and in some cases, even think. When a user reaches the k-hole they are scientifically proven to be the closest to death they'll ever be before they actually die. When a user is in the k-hole, they're disconnected from the fabrics of reality and often don't actually know what is going on around them, they're simply stuck in their own 'hole' until the drug eventually wears off.

MAY BE UPDATED WITH MORE

paxie

Legendary Member
Ziplo said:
It's actually pretty rare to pass out from marijuana and it doesn't happen to everyone, but believe it or not I have an IRL friend who's passed out a number of times just from smoking pot.

yeh this is fucked. my mate went to hospital after doing his first bucket at school lool. happens from too big of a rip i guess

nice guide

ziplo

Donator
Breadd said:
Very nice u little druggy
Thanks you chav

alko176 said:
Nice guide :D
Cheers buddy

Paxie said:
yeh this is fucked. my mate went to hospital after doing his first bucket at school lool. happens from too big of a rip i guess

nice guide
Innit bro, madness

OT: Fixed that weird line break shit that was going on for some reason.

BigFoe

Donator
Cocaine also makes you feel like you invincible and it fucks your nerves so pain is a lot duller than usual

You also forgot to put in there that X makes you sweat a fuck load, gotta keep hydrated