What's new

[GUIDE] Passive RP + Effective Emotions/RP'ing Alone

DrTrollinski

Donator
Introduction

Hello, everyone! Now, in this guide, I'm going to be explaining a few things about Passive RP and Emotions, as well as precisely -what- Passive RP is. I'll start off by saying that Passive RP can really add a lot more excitement to your experiences on the server if you choose to play about with it and tweak it to a way that's unique, entertaining, and interesting to be part of. (Depending on how you do it, and what kinds of RP you do, you'll find that it gives a very nice variety.) I'll also be talking a little about RP'ing Emotions/Suitable Emotions for certain situations; without further ado, let's kick this into motion.

What is Passive RP?

So, at this point, you're either thinking 'What is Passive RP, anyway?', or, you're thinking 'I know what Passive RP is already' - if that's the case, please don't allow that to push you away from this little guide of mine, as I feel that this can help new players who are looking for ways to create interesting RP on the server, but also those who have been on the server for a fair amount of time and already know most of the tips of the trade - this may be able to spruce up everyone's experience. It did the same for me; this is why I'm sharing it all with you.

Now, Passive RP is exactly what the name states - it's Role-Play that's more relaxed and 'casual', if you will. Passive RP can range from almost anything; it could be something like going out to a bar with a friend, to spending time at your home with family or friends. (I'll give some more examples soon, don't worry.) Now, you may think that this is 'boring' or 'utterly pointless', but trust me, these sorts of RP's can be very rich, and they are a fantastic way to develop your character. Passive RP not only helps you develop your character further in some aspects, but also allows you to write more of a story for your character - alongside all of that, you get more of a 'feel' and an 'attachment' for the RP, if you do it right.

Examples of Passive RP:-
  • Going to the bar with a friend or family member.
  • Playing sport, alone or with others. (Baseball, Basketball, Golf, etc.)
  • Family RP/Home RP - This brings a lot more RP to your neighborhood, and, just like people IRL, you use your house a lot more.
  • Leisure activities such as painting, drawing, exercising, etc.
  • Work-related RP - RP doing paperwork, going through files and documents on events, etc. (Passive RP can also be applied, in most cases, within the HQ of your chosen faction - This counts for both legal and illegal factions.)
  • Everyday chores - cooking and preparing food, washing dishes, doing laundry, and so on.
  • Taking on certain responsibilities - Washing your car, cleaning your house, going through mail, RP'ing signing bills, etc.
  • Use of Technology - RP'ing using your computer for work, using s smartphone to text someone or playing a game, using a tablet to play games, watch videos, stream music, etc. (That can be useful for house music streaming; if you have your phone/tablet on a docking station you can RP that that is the item playing music in the house)

The above are some of the main examples of what Passive RP can consist of - yes, some of them may sound less entertaining than others, but it's entirely up to you how you 'RP passively', which is why it is such a wonderful thing to be part of. Now, one of the main points that might have caught your eye would be the 'Family RP/Home RP' - you may be slightly skeptical about this one, but hear me out, this is without a doubt one of the most entertaining methods of RP that you can do, in my opinion at least; this single point is one of the methods of RP that I've been part of for a LOT of my time on the server, and I always try and fit in a session of something like this whenever I can. With the rule that states you can't RP as someone under the age of 16, you may feel slightly limited by what you can do, seeing as you're not allowed to have someone RP as your child - worry not, there is a way that this can be solved.

Many people on the server RP'ly have relationships - some of them even RP having children of their own together - a thing I've noticed, is that most people decide to time-skip to the point where the child is, as said by the server rules, able to be RP'ed by a real player. Now, my main character has three children - one five-year-old boy, and twin newborn boys; /do's are a very nice way to add something into the RP - the children, for example; I've been part of many RP's, and I've used /do to NPC my character's children, and so on. (Obviously this is mostly at my own discretion with those that I RP with, I wouldn't really recommend trying this in crowded areas, as it may cause confusion and other unwanted events.) So, if you are going to time-skip for any children you RP'ly have, I'd recommend giving a shot at time-skipping to the age of between 4-14 and just seeing what kind of RP you can create by merely NPC'ing them; this is also a great thing to use to bring in more RP to your home and neighborhood, and even offers something for you to RP alone. (I'll move onto this shortly.)

RP'ing Emotions​

I'm going to keep this section relatively brief; you can view a full guide on RP'ing emotions correctly here. (Credits go to my buddy Joe, the creator of the linked tutorial.)

In RC:RP and your RP as a whole, you're going to come across numerous situations and events, they can range from anything that is upsetting, traumatizing, exciting, adrenaline-filled, and even to the point where it's plain and simply disturbing - for when this happens, you need to know how to correctly RP your character's emotion; it doesn't matter if your character was a General of the US Marine Corps - they can and -will- be effected by what goes on around them, and what sort of events they become part of - now, depending on their background does allow you to choose how they'll react, but, if for example they have a gun in their face, they are -going- to be absolutely terrified regardless of who they are - one shot, and they're gone; you have the option of whether or not to CK, but think about it from a realistic, real-life point of view - if you were to get shot in the face, there's not much chance that you'd walk out of hospital a few minutes later and go about your day - this is the way that you need to see things, not just 'Oh, I'll survive anyway, time to be a badass and act like I don't care about the fact that there's four armed men sticking rifles in my face.'

The tutorial linked above also gives you some scenarios which can help you further understand how to act at a certain point, but the things you need to consider for when you're in a next RP that can trigger any form of emotion are listed below:-

• Anger - when, where, and how your character became angered by a certain situation - perhaps RP the bad mood for the rest of the day if it was a major misunderstanding or dispute with something. (No, being angered does not include shooting someone for insulting you.)
  • Sadness - what made your character sad? Did they lose a job? Did a friend or close family relative die? Perhaps they even got evicted from their home - the possibilities are endless, especially if you decide to carry this over to depression (I recommend you research that if you don't know what it's like before you decide to RP it.)
  • Happiness - the world's full of pleasant surprises - if it's worth being happy about, have your character be in a good mood for a while - you never know, it might bring you some RP when someone asks 'What's got you so happy?'.
  • Fear - Everyone experiences fear at some point, no matter who you are - if it's something life-threatening or dangerous towards you or another person (Perhaps even hearing a gunshot), then it's worth RP'ing being scared, or terrified depending on what sort of character you choose to RP - perhaps your characters a pacifist and anything related to conflict panics them? Once again, the possibilities of are endless.
  • Paranoia - Now, this isn't so much of an 'emotion', but it can be very nice to RP if you do it correctly - following a traumatizing event, perhaps your character will become more anxious for the well-being and good health of themselves, their family (if any) and friends? Paranoia can strike anyone, and it can also cause people many problems depending on how much it stresses them.
  • Embarrassment/Humiliation - Humiliation is easy to achieve; at these points, RP stuttering or your character's face reddening - and, depending on the severity of it, you could take it to the next level and have your character take actions or have 'accidents' which only further extend the humiliation - of course, it depends on what sort of person your character is and how they react to certain things.

Those are just a few examples - I hope to see people applying some of these wherever they see fit, and I also hope that people have checked out Joe's guide on emotion, as that gives some scenarios where you would use some of these emotions.

Bonus Section

Now, I'm only going to talk about something briefly here - I mentioned above about RP'ing alone. Now, a lot of you may be thinking 'Oh, god. No. No. Just no.', but allow me to help you understand this a little more, as many people do this at some points (including myself).

RP'ing alone is something that should be done more often, because, if you think about it - we're a heavy RP server, and we aim to be as realistic as possible - life doesn't pause if there's no one else around, we find ways to entertain ourselves; the same applies here. RP'ing alone can be anything that I mentioned above in the passive RP section, and can often offer you some new RP if you have nothing else to do; maybe you can use the NPC'ing method I mentioned, if your character has a family, that is - at this point you might just be saying 'If I do that I'll just be talking to myself.' OOC'ly, maybe so, but if you take it IC'ly, then its an accurate and fun thing to do depending on what it is, and you're also bringing more RP to the server - there's not many people here who will criticize you for that.

Next time you're alone and have nothing to do or no one to RP with, why not give it a try? You never know, you might really enjoy it and could potentially build your character further.

That's all for now, friends. Stay classy out there, and more importantly, have fun.

Sai

Donator
Re: [Tips] Passive RP + Effective Emotions

Nice guide. You're a great roleplayer, I remember you always used to RP with/about your wife and children. It was great xD.

DrTrollinski

Donator
Re: [Tips] Passive RP + Effective Emotions

Sai said:
Nice guide. You're a great roleplayer, I remember you always used to RP with/about your wife and children. It was great xD.

Thanks a lot, Sai. I remember RP'ing with you as well. Oh, the good old days - if you have any suggestions for me to add to the guide please let me know and I'll gladly put them in there. :)

- DrTrollinski

Emmerdale

Retired Admin
Re: [Tips] Passive RP + Effective Emotions/RP'ing Alone

Very good Michael, explains character emotion very well. This will help a lot of players in the future. :thumbup:

DrTrollinski

Donator
Re: [Tips] Passive RP + Effective Emotions/RP'ing Alone

Emmerdale said:
Very good Michael, explains character emotion very well. This will help a lot of players in the future. :thumbup:

Thank you for the feedback. :)