[Guide] Making your RP look good

Status
Not open for further replies.
IG Faction
Civilian
Speaking (This is only about grammar, don't open if you're going to post "This part is useless")
*This is not useless, it's annoying and does not look good write like this*

• Always use capital letters on the first letter of the word that begins to speak.
  • Always ends your speech with a dot or a question mark. You can use a exclamation mark to give emphasis.
Wrong: Duke Garvey says: hello sir
Correct: Duke Garvey says: Hello sir.

Wrong: Duke Garvey says: Hey come here
Correct: Duke Garvey says: Hey! Come here!

• Always use a space and start with a capital letters on the first letter after a question mark or a dot in the middle of what you're going to say. In case of comma, only use a space and keep lower case.
Wrong: Duke Garvey says: excuse me sir.what you're doing here?
Correct: Duke Garvey says: Excuse me sir. What you're doing here?

Wrong: Duke Garvey says: hey,what you want?
Correct: Duke Garvey says: Hey, what you want?

• Start your talk with with three dots and continue talking in case the chat cuts a part of the last thing you said, only repeat one or two last words on the last thing you said.
Example
Duke Garvey says: Sir, I don't need you treat this wound, just give me a medical k[Chat cuts the other part of what you wrote]
Duke Garvey says: ...medical kit and I'll take care of myself.

I've seen many people writting like this in game and in faction applications, writting like this makes your application looks disorganized and with a bad grammar.

/me [action]

• Always finish your /me with a dot.
Wrong: Duke Garvey taps on the car window
Correct: Duke Garvey taps on the car window.

• Use /me only for describe actions performed by your character not for describe things on your character. If you want to describe something in your character, use /do or /ame.
Wrong: Duke Garvey has a tattoo on his right arm.
Correct: You can see a tattoo on Duke Garvey's right arm. ((Duke Garvey))

• Don't use /me with only one word, put more emphasis or else your /me will look newbie.
Wrong: Duke Garvey sits.
Correct: Duke Garvey sits down on the chair.

• Try to be specific when you're doing a /me.
Wrong: Duke Garvey attempts to frisk John.
Correct: Duke Garvey reaches into John's pants pockets and starts digging inside, searching for anything.
Explaining: John now will answer what Duke found in his pockets with /do!
Duke finds a stack of cash in John's right pocket and a cell phone in the left pocket. ((John))
If John has a hidden gun, Duke has to search everything till he finds the location where John is hid the gun. At the final, Duke can OOCly /frisk John just to make sure if he did not lied in anything.
Remember: If John wants to react at the Duke frisk, he just need to do it while Duke is reaching his pockets in this case.

• Try to do more than one action in your /me if only one makes it too small or if you want to do another action that would be small on your next /me.
Example
Two actions together
Duke Garvey sits on the public bench and looks around.
Two actions in different /me's:
Duke Garvey sits on the public bench.
Duke Garvey looks around.

Explaining: These two /me's in only one, makes things more easier, especially when you're roleplaying with a group of players.

• You can use commas to add more actions
Example:
Duke Garvey sits on the bench and raises his left hand towards his eyes, looking at his watch.
Explaning: After the comma you have to use the action in the present and continuously. Why? Because it looks weird if you put the action like in the beginning of the /me. Look:
Duke Garvey sits on the bench and raises his left hand towards his eyes, looks at his watch.
You can clearly notice that "looking" looks better in this sentence. Using "and" after the comma looks weird too, because you already used before.
Duke Garvey sits on the bench and raises his left hand towards his eyes, and looks at his watch.
At least for me, this one does not looks good neither.

• /me is written in third person, not first person like I saw some people doing it.
Wrong: Duke Garvey grabs my cell phone from my pocket.
Correct: Duke Garvey grabs his cell phone from his pocket.

• Always start your /me with lowercase letter, your /me looks much better.
Wrong: Duke Garvey Looks at John.
Correct: Duke Garvey looks at John.

/do [action]

• Never use S/F in /do, if you want to RP as a advanced RPer, you should stop.
Wrong: Duke Garvey attempts to punch John.
S/F? ((Duke Garvey))

Correct: Duke Garvey swings a punch towards John's jaw.
Explaining: This is not powergaming, I only throwed a punch at John. Now it is up to John decide what will happen.

• Don't use things like success or fail to answer someone attempt.
Wrong: Duke Garvey swings a punch towards John's jaw.
Success ((John))

Correct: Duke Garvey swings a punch towards John's jaw.
Duke hits John's jaw. ((John))

• The correct use of /do is for environment only, not for questions, if you want to ask/warn something to someone that you're roleplaying with, use /b. (Unless you're scared because of metagame)
Example
Duke Garvey swings a kick towards John's balls.
[OOC] Duke Garvey says: Does the kick hits your balls?
Duke's kick hits John's balls. ((John))

Bogdan

Silver Member
I appreciate you for the effort, but 80% is useless. The only good part is where you say NOT to use S/F.

IG Faction
Civilian
I appreciate you for the effort, but 80% is useless. The only good part is where you say NOT to use S/F.
Useless for you, I'm trying to help people that know basic RP (Definitions) and wants to improve their RP (/me, /do) to something advanced. I also wrote this because I never RPed with good RPers so far in this server, everyone that I roleplayed with, did something that I listed there. When I say "good RPers" I mean roleplayers that don't use S/F, questions in /do, also, roleplayers that are specific in /me's and roleplayers with a good grammar, I'm not offending anyone.

Devin Cypress

Silver Member
Haruki said:
Useless for you, I'm trying to help people that know basic RP (Definitions) and wants to improve their RP to something advanced, not noobish things like I listed.
I don't get it...

Bogdan

Silver Member
Bogdan said:
I've missed the /me & /do part. The only useless part now, IMO, is the grammar one. The rest looks fine.

IG Name
they want my full name
IG Faction
i told em rockstar
Haruki said:
Useless for you, I'm trying to help people that know basic RP (Definitions) and wants to improve their RP (/me, /do) to something advanced. I also wrote this because I never RPed with good RPers so far in this server, everyone that I roleplayed with, did something that I listed there. When I say "good RPers" I mean roleplayers that don't use S/F, questions in /do, also, roleplayers that are specific in /me's and roleplayers with a good grammar, I'm not offending anyone.
Seems like you need to start roleplaying with gangs/mafias, as they're the people with the best RP skills here I think.
Well, didn't help me at all as I knew this already. A great guide for beginners, though.

Dr. Paine

Retired Admin
IG Name
Jedediah_Rhodes
IG Faction
Corn Hauling C**ts !
Nice guide, regardless of previous comments or "useless additions".

Status
Not open for further replies.