What's new

(GUIDE) Making screenshots with Paint.NET

Woods

Diamond Member
Making screenshots with Paint.NET
This guide was created with the purpose of showing the community how to edit screenshots using Paint.NET, an alternative to Adobe Photoshop.

1. Setting up the program
For the people that don't know, Paint.NET is a free image editing program that will run on Microsoft Windows only. The program comes with a few effects and options to edit but you can get plugins of extra effects, in this case you'll need the "outline effect" to edit the chatlog.
Downloads:
1. Paint.NET - https://www.getpaint.net/

You can install the effect by simply dragging the .dll file to "C:\Program Files\Paint.NET\Effects".

2. In-game
Once you're in-game, for the perfect screenshots you'll need to set game settings, I personally use a resolution of 1366 x 768 and /fontsize -1, different settings may work but the image may appear different. You'll need to take 2 screenshots, first a clean image and second, the chatlog.
1. For the image you can either double tap F7 or hold F10 to clean your screen, when you got you're ready press F8 to take the first screenshot.

2. Now for the chatlog, once you can see the chatlog again just use /blindme, it'll set the background to black and now you can press F8 to take the second screenshot. Use /unblindme to go back to normal.

3. Editing
Now that you have everything set up you can start editing the screenshot. Once you're on Paint.NET open the screenshots you took.
1. Crop the image using the "rectangle select" tool and make the width no higher than 800 pixels, that will prevent the forums from resizing the screenshot and decrease it's quality.

qZlB2Qw.png

2. Repeat the last step but now on the second screenshot, just choose whatever you want to use from the chatlog.

fnHkVDy.png

3. Create a new image and paste the first picture, before adding the second one (chatlog), add an extra layer to the image and only then paste the chatlog on it.

vGPlW0b.png
1z06Vc8.png

4. By using the "magic wand" tool select the black part of the chatlog and delete it, you'll only see the text after.

be6b23fff75e7d52d0e13fc4b9358d11.gif

5. Only thing missing now is the outline around the text, so go to "effects" > "object" > "outline object".
Set the outline "width" to 1, the "softness" to 0 (or 252) and R,G and B to 0 for the black color.

tVvVqIL.png

6. After all of that your screenshot should look like this. So just save it as a .png file and upload it.

oswzVF6.png

Last edited:

Baha

Gold Member
Woods said:
Baha said:
Here you go.

May you just explain this ? i got lil' bit confused.
" 3. Create a new image and first paste the picture, before adding the chatlog add an extra layer to the image and then only paste the chatlog on it. "

Woods

Diamond Member
Baha said:
Woods said:
Baha said:
Here you go.

May you just explain this ? i got lil' bit confused.
" 3. Create a new image and first paste the picture, before adding the chatlog add an extra layer to the image and then only paste the chatlog on it. "

vGPlW0b.png

Then paste the image on it and add a new layer.

WendyLady

Banned
Pluto said:
fuck, am I the only one who actually finds it a hassle to take two seconds to do a /blindme bc I get too immersed?

I don't have time to blind myself either. I simply position my chat window over a blank area like the sky, wall, water, etc. It works the same

Gary

Donator
I personally find it easier to use LSRP+ with a blank screenshot. It's amazingly annoying whenever another line of text gets involved within the roleplay I'm trying to capture.

Regardless, a very nice guide!