What's new

[GUIDE] How to reduce/prevent car accidents.

Rossi

Donator
I often see people getting their Cheetahs/Elegys/Infernus/Super GTs in high speed crashes, they then complain about high repair costs, and then continue to speed and drive recklessly, here's a few things you can do to reduce your chances of getting in a crash.

Learning the various speed limits, and when to stick to them.

Towns: 40MPH
Open roads: 60MPH
Highway/Freeway: 100MPH

In towns, whilst 40MPH is the official speed limit, you generally shouldn't really be going above 20MPH, as people could reverse out of their houses, car parks, or random people drifting around in Clovers could come around a corner, and if you're going 40 you're not going to be able to react.
On open roads, sticking to 60 is usually fine, except if there's an accident up ahead and a queue of traffic, you should have your camera tilted down so you can see over cars ahead to predict any other crashes. You should also slow down before heading around blind turns, like if you were heading from Palomino to Montgomery along the 48, you should slow down before passing under the bridge, as it's a place where people usually understeer and get into crashes.
On Highways sticking to 100MPH is pretty much always acceptable, but to minimize your chance of getting into an accident, you should stay in the correct lane, and check behind you before changing lane/taking a turn.

Road markings, intersections and lane placement.

Throughout San Andreas, there are two prominent road markins, double yellow lines, and white dotted lines. You may not overtake or cross the double yellow lines, unless an emergency vehicle is parked at the side of the road, if one is parked, you must come to a halt, wait for traffic to stop, and pass in the other lane. You may overtake on white dotted lines, but I'd advise against it strongly, as SAMP physics are quite hard to predict at times, and it can result in a high speed crash.

American roads prominently straight, lacking harsh turns and hairpins, so the roads lack roundabouts, and makeup for that in an abundance of intersections. Intersections are quite simple, but can confuse people who come from countries that drive on the left hand side of the road. Generally, you should stop at intersections, check left, check right, check behind you, and if the road is clear, go, but when people are in a rush, they tend to just rush through and not check, this is what leads to accidents.

Priority to the right. If a vehicle is approaching you from the right whilst at an intersection, they have the right of way, you must let them go, and vice versa, if you're coming up to an intersection and there's a car to your left, it should let you go, but must drivers in SAMP are unaware of this, or they simply ignore this rule, resulting in people pulling out and causing accidents. I usually find myself stopping at every intersection, and flashing other drivers to go so I don't have to pull out first and risk damaging my vehicle.

Stopping safely.

Most vehicles in SAMP lack stability whilst slowing, but there's a few things that you can do to counter this.

I like to call this method the "Pretend you're ABS method", basically, if you need to slow down, holding down the brake (S) usually results in your car sliding and going to the side in an unpredictable manner, which puts your vehicle at risk of being damaged, what I do is start by slowly tapping the S button, and then once the car goes below 40/45MPH, I hold it down as it's pretty much always under control by that speed. You can also aid this method by engine breaking, if you don't know what that is, it's holding off the accelerator (W), but still steering it, you'll find that the car rapidly slows down in a controllable manner.

If you find yourself in-avoidably heading into an accident, aim for the weakest/softest thing around you such as fences, metal poles, lamposts, any object in SAMP that is breakable, go into it, because would you rather crash head on into a car or into a fence?

Correcting a powerslide/loss of traction.

If you find your car sliding away from you in a turn and you're unsure of what to do, relax, if you panic, you're more likely to crash. If you're going around a right hand turn, and your car slides to the right to far, don't touch the brakes, don't accelerate, counter steer, if you don't know what counter-steering is, it's exactly what it says on the tin, if you're taking a turn left, aim the wheels right. So, if you're drifting to the right when you don't want to, lay off the accelerator, turn into the turn, don't touch the brakes, if you do this correctly, you will correct the drift and can continue on your way.

In a front wheel drive, this is a little different, if you're going around a turn and you oversteer, accelerate, why you're probably asking? Well if your backend slides out on a front wheel drive, the traction can be gained with the front wheels, as the entire car is pulled by them. If I didn't explain that properly, here's a better explanation.

It is generally better to request more power by mashing the gas. Sounds odd - you're losing control, so you want more power? We actually want weight distribution. Allowing more weight to the rear wheels will start to straighten out your turn and bring the rear of the car back to center ("normal"). I've only ever experienced this once on the road in my own Focus ST, and using this simple technique helped me to easily regain control.

Common sense.

Use your common sense, don't distract yourself whilst driving, stay off your phone IG/IRL, if you're a helper, whilst driving don't answer assists, pull over, don't eat whilst you're driving, don't unneededly slam the brakes, don't pull the handbrake and skid, in general, just don't be dumb.

As the author of this thread, I reserve the right to delete any post that I deem unnecessary/unsuitable for this thread without warning. No memes/shitposting, thank you.

Chocolate

Bronze Member
Good guide, but I would like to add a few things if you don't mind. I think there are plenty of racers who is not very well aware of the vehicle's layout, engine build and so on. You may ask, what do you mean? I will show you with an example, let's take the Blista Compact or Jester both are FWD cars with Frontal engine placement. If you slide, but step on the power it won't spin, but pull itself into a straight line because it is physics. Once again, I am writing this down as a positive feedback, thank you for the effort though.

Rossi

Donator
Good guide, but I would like to add a few things if you don't mind. I think there are plenty of racers who is not very well aware of the vehicle's layout, engine build and so on. You may ask, what do you mean? I will show you with an example, let's take the Blista Compact or Jester both are FWD cars with Frontal engine placement. If you slide, but step on the power it won't spin, but pull itself into a straight line because it is physics. Once again, I am writing this down as a positive feedback, thank you for the effort though.
I've already wrote a paragraph on that.

"In a front wheel drive, this is a little different, if you're going around a turn and you oversteer, accelerate, why you're probably asking? Well if your backend slides out on a front wheel drive, the traction can be gained with the front wheels, as the entire car is pulled by them. If I didn't explain that properly, here's a better explanation."

Chocolate

Bronze Member
I've already wrote a paragraph on that.

"In a front wheel drive, this is a little different, if you're going around a turn and you oversteer, accelerate, why you're probably asking? Well if your backend slides out on a front wheel drive, the traction can be gained with the front wheels, as the entire car is pulled by them. If I didn't explain that properly, here's a better explanation."

Then I must have missed it, my bad, sorry.
Although, I would love to see more technical details if that's possible.