What's new

[GUIDE] Grammar

Abrasive

Bronze Member
Guide to Proper Grammar
I'd firstly like to point out that this guide is 100% stolen. None of this is mine. All credit is directed to "The Emperor, Douglas_Nyswonger, Jerry_Sforza, Liquicity."​

DICTION (FOR FOREIGN CHARACTERS)

Jerry_Sforza said:
From the desk of Delroy Carlton Witherspoon Ribeiro Wilcox VII, Esq.

As a faction primarily consisting of black characters and other less intelligent minorities, it is important to represent a realistic knowledge of black semantics and diction. However, this does not give excuse to misspell or misappropriate. All words should be spelled properly regardless of the interpretation of pronunciation. Portraying the typical speech qualities of a black guy does not give you an excuse to butcher the English language.

It also also applies to any other foreign character, such as Spanish, Hispanics, African Americans, Jamaicans, Asian and any other minority that derives from there.

This chapter shall remind you of apostrophes: they're used to represent ownership of objects and a missing letter in words. They do not have to be mixed with slang. Words like wanna or gonna are to be written without them.

CORRECT USE
'Ey, yo*, what up dog? 'S up wit' that shit, mofucka?
'Ight* nigga, cool shit though, know what I'm sayin'?

INCORRECT USE
A'yo, whaddup dawg? Sup widdhat shit, mofockah?
"Ayo" is an acceptable substitute.
Aight niggah, kool sheet dough, knawhatimsayin?
"A'ight" is an acceptable substitute.

Using more than a few worldwide common foreign words is also wrong. Ese, esa, pinche, cholo, chola, konichwa, ciao are, per example, allowed. This applies to any other foreign language. Mainly, common forms of greeting, thanking, saying good bye and baseline insults are accepted. Anything else spoken in a foreign language shall be done through "(<insert language>) phrase in English" — "(Spanish) So, I met this guy. We're set now, bro. He'll bring that shit tonight."

ACCENT
Accent, way of pronunciation particular to a speaker or group of speakers, usually related to those of other nationality or ethnicity when they try to talk in English. Players tend to make them up in front of their line while using correct grammar, do the same thing and use the specific language or avoid to put it at all.

CORRECT USE
* Liquicity talks with a <insert accent>.
* Liquicity talks with a British accent.
Use the said language directly and let the reader understand the accent or not.
Ray Ferrante shouts: MA! WHA'S FO DINNA?!
Ramon Trejo says: Ey, foo'. You from the valle?
Treshawn Garnett says: I ain't got no bad blood wit' no mofucker out hea.

INCORRECT USE
Liquicity says: [British Accent] Hey.
Liquicity says: [British Accent] Hey, mate.
Liquicity says: (British Accent) Hey.

ELLIPSIS
The correct form of ellipsis is three dots (…), other variations you see people using are mostly wrong. Two dot ellipsis (..) is wrong use, and isn't a thing.

CORRECT USE
Pecker Wood says: I seem to remember...

INCORRECT USE
Pecker Wood says: I seem to remember..
Pecker Wood says: I seem to remember..........

DASH
Players sometimes use the dash in text, to show that their character has been interrupted, or maybe got tangled in his own speech. In such situations, it's usually when people make common mistakes. A dash and ellipsis (-...) combination is not a thing, and it's completely wrong.

CORRECT USE
Pecker Wood says: What ab—
Pecker Wood says: What ab--
Pecker Wood says: What about--

INCORRECT USE
Pecker Wood says: What ab-...
Pecker Wood says: What ab...-
Pecker Wood says: What ab-.-

APOSTROPHES
Players typically use apostrophes when they want to show that the word they pronounce has a missing letter. The wrong use of apostrophes comes when people try to combine them with slang. Full words like gonna or wanna don't need an apostrophe.

CORRECT USE
Pecker Wood says: He was gonna help me, but I saw him runnin' away.
Pecker Wood says: Yo! Why are you walkin' alone, homie? Get in my car.

INCORRECT USE
Pecker Wood says: He was gonna' help me, but I saw him runnin' away.
Pecker Wood says: Yo'! Why are you walkin' alone, homie'? Get in my car.

EMOTES
Emotes are used to perform actions with your character. It shows other people what you are doing. Players make the mistake of sometimes trying to tell their story through them, which incites metagame.

CORRECT USE
/me rocks back and forth on the chair. His hands can't stop shaking.
Skin Head says: What's wrong?

INCORRECT USE
/me is terrified after the recent murder he was forced to commit by his friends.
/me is a known gangster in Verona Beach.

SEMICOLONS
The semicolon or semi-colon (;) is a punctuation mark that separates major sentence elements.
"The deputy drove by my house today. He had tattooed arms and wore short sleeves." — written form.
"The deputy drove by my house today. /ame Takes a breath. He had tattooed arms and wore short sleeves." — spoken form.
"The deputy drove by my house today; he had tattooed arms and wore short sleeves." — correct and recommended form.
CORRECT USE
Omega five to all units. We have a BOLO on a black male; he wears a white shirt.
I saw Elora Garner; she's scary as fuck.

INCORRECT USE
Omega five to all units; We have a BOLO on an IC 2 male. (Never capitalize the letter after a semicolon.)
Omega five to all units; we have a BOLO on an IC 2 male. (Those two statements aren't to be connected.)
/do Raymond Gallo seems young; he's tall. (Semicolons are only to connect two clauses in dialogues. anything else shall be written with full stop.)
I saw Roxanne; but she isn't wearing the earrings I bought her. (Semicolons are never used before conjunctions. And, but, nor, or, for, so and yet, etc.)

I repeat, this guide is 100% stolen and I've only slightly modified it to go in ordinance with the server and our commands. My sole intention of re-posting this was to improve the quality of Roleplay in our server. Hope this helps you as much as it helped me.

BurnToast

Donator
Even though this guide has been released, people who've read this guide will still make mistakes. Due to the fact, that the lack of English used in their life will have a decrease in grammatical skills.

Abrasive

Bronze Member
BurnToast said:
Even though this guide has been released, people who've read this guide will still make mistakes. Due to the fact, that the lack of English used in their life will have a decrease in grammatical skills.

I still have faith in people. Worth a post because someone, somewhere is going to indicate this useful and apply it to their Roleplay. The amount of "-.." I've seen in game is alarming.