What's new

[GUIDE] Grammar

Abrasive

Bronze Member
:thumbup: :thumbup:
Kemp said:
CourageousFish said:
Kemp said:
To me, this was quite a condescending read. Please understand that for many, English isn't their first language and thus errors are inevitable. However, I understand that your intention may be to support players and improve their written English. Therefore, I trust that you'll respect my aim to improve yours - taking substance from just one of your responses to this topic.

There. We're all helping each other. :thumbup:

Errors are meant to be corrected hence why I re-posted this guide. I don't see why you found this condescending at all. Considering the fact that a lot of the bans I've personally seen are directed towards quality of roleplay I find it cynical that you would be disapproving of this, especially considering at one point you were a lead admin. To me, you're being counter-productive and petty but I see what you were trying to say.
If that was genuniely your intention then fair enough. I just posted what it seemed like you were doing, no harm intended. :thumbup:

:thumbup:

Zodiac

Tester
1j8ksa.jpg

On the other hand, great job! Certainly would be satisfying to see people abide by this in the future. :luvrcrp:

RufioCas

Donator
how do I grammer so that I dont effect people's game experience? their were several occassions that I didn't have any clue as to what to say

CastleXO

Silver Member
Haha. laughed a little bit at the ''
INCORRECT USE
A'yo, whaddup dawg? Sup widdhat shit, mofockah?
"Ayo" is an acceptable substitute.
Aight niggah, kool sheet dough, knawhatimsayin?'' part but other than that the guide's alright

NickyW

Gold Member
I still have faith in people. Worth a post because someone, somewhere is going to indicate this useful and apply it to their Roleplay. The amount of "-.." I've seen in game is alarming.

I will use this forever, despite knowing that it's wrong. Using an ellipsis or n-dash (or m-dash) may be grammatically accurate, but it looks sloppy and is not very reminiscent of actual dialogue. The dash-ellipsis combination is used to indicate your voice trailing off, and everyone gets that. If it works, looks aesthetically non-obtrusive (to the point to where few non-native speakers realize it's an issue), and garners widespread use, why get rid of it?

Beth

Donator
I will use this forever, despite knowing that it's wrong. Using an ellipsis or n-dash (or m-dash) may be grammatically accurate, but it looks sloppy and is not very reminiscent of actual dialogue. The dash-ellipsis combination is used to indicate your voice trailing off, and everyone gets that. If it works, looks aesthetically non-obtrusive (to the point to where few non-native speakers realize it's an issue), and garners widespread use, why get rid of it?
This
-.. looks nicer

MattL019

Donator

+1 exactly. I'm playing a game not sitting an english exam. These most minor grammatical mistakes that still fit the part are fine in my opinion. I can still understand what they mean even more so if they use the trailing-...