What's new

[GUIDE] Dealing with Traffic Stops

HardTime

BEFORE YOU READ ALL CREDIT GOES TO "$oFresh" FROM ANOTHER FORUM THREAD FOR MAKING THIS. I HAVE SIMPLY CHANGED IT UP ABIT AND MADE IT LOOK MORE APPEALING SO OTHER PLAYERS CAN READ IT HERE.
Introduction
I've been in the passenger seat of many traffic stops, and they almost always end in either death or arrest because the driver doesn't know how to deal with one. I'm here to explain how to properly deal with a traffic stop.​

Pulling Over
When pulling to the side of the road, make sure you take into account the safety of those around you & yourself. You will have to stop with your left wheels on the curb or on a bike lane if available. Do not pull over on a corner, exit, garage, etc. If there is not a proper spot to pull over, drive just a few yards to a proper spot.​
FC1IIng.png

What to do when stopped​
Once your have pulled onto a proper spot, follow these simple steps:​
• Turn your engine off as soon as you stop.
• Roll down your window if not already down.
• Keep your hands on the steering wheel at 3 & 9 o'clock.
• Wait for the officer to walk over to your door.​
The most important thing about a traffic stop is how you react as soon as you're pulled over. If an officer notices you're acting nervous, angry, etc. they will automatically suspect something is going on. If you keep calm, they will not be as hostile towards you, which can avoid you a trip to jail, or death.

Another thing that helps when being stopped is greeting the officer when they approach your window. A simple "Hello, officer" or "Morning, sir" can let them know you are friendly & will clear tension from the stop.​
*Your hands must be visible at all times*
*Do not reach for any documents until requested to do so by the officer*
VvSBRG8.png

Dialogue​

Officers tend to ask basic questions once stopped. The most common is "Do you know why I pulled your over today?". When they ask this question, always answer no. Even if you know why you were pulled over, reassure your assumption by letting the officer tell you.
Only answer questions the officer asks. Everything you say can be used against you, so chose your words wisely.

Here's an example of a good answer to a question:
-"Where are you coming from?"
-"My homie's house, offica'."

Here's an example of a bad answer to a question:
-"Where are you coming from?"
-"Crystal Gardens, offica'. Went with a homie to see what was happenin'. Took a couple drinks, played some poker, y'know."

With an answer like this, the officer now knows you have been drinking, where you frequent, what you did there, who you know, which gang you are possibly affiliated with & where you're coming from.​

Have something illegal?
Officers cannot see through your car or clothes. They do not know what you are holding, which is another reason why they take extreme precaution. If you have a weapon, you are most likely hiding it already. Same thing goes with drugs. Don't panic.

Do not toss anything out the window. Not only will the officer automatically notice it, he will arrest you & your passengers, when he would have probably just given you a verbal warning for whatever you did.

I've been in many situations where I'm carrying a full two ounces of weed in my car, as well as a weapon & I've gotten away without the officer even noticing. Which brings me to my next point...​
LYor3oh.png
Searches​
You know you don't have to let a cop search you,right? According to the fourth amendment, you have the right to deny a search. The only time a police officer can search you without your consent is when they have a warrant or if they are highly suspicious. A simple phrase can help you get out of a search without being rude or loud. "I do not consent to searches".
Now, don't get me wrong, an officer may still search you if they are suspicious, but that is not likely.

This phrase can even help with a pat down. If you are ordered to step out of the car, do not let the officer search you. Knowing this phrase can make you avoid arrest, or death. It will also let you keep your contraband, as well as avoid you wasting your time.​
nY0ROWb.png
Video Examples
I'll include these two videos to show you how all of this comes into play. They aren't some boring documentary, they're just scenarios & they are pretty insightful.​

1SKZ

Donator
I thought this was common knowledge, but I guess it's useful for some people.

cerebration

Bronze Member
Nice guide. You just have to add that they can search you if they have reasonable suspicion and they can prove this in the court of law. The other two situations where an officer can frisk you and search your vehicle is if you have an outstanding warrant or he has probable cause.

JayChris

Donator
Beth said:
But the cops always metagame "probable cause" so the search part is useless
Nice guide all the same
"I don't consent to searches."
RCRP Cop: "I don't give a fuck! Open your trunk! Spread your legs!"

Hawks

Platinum Member
JayChris said:
Beth said:
Nice guide all the same

JayChris has a point there.
I still remember that I gave two house parties in one week, several months ago, and both got raided by a whole army of SWAT and police officers because they had a "probable cause" about an armed guy inside my house, both raids ruined a nice party and roleplay.

JayChris

Donator
Hawks said:
JayChris said:
Beth said:
Nice guide all the same

I still remember that I gave two house parties in one week, several months ago, and both got raided by a whole army of SWAT and police officers because they had a "probable cause" about an armed guy inside my house, both raids ruined a nice party and roleplay.
Thing is, in reallife you can always deny searches unless the police officer has a warrant. In some cases cops still search your car and frisk you. However, if you would go to court then, you'd most likely win the case. However as we know, this is not possible on RCRP.

cerebration

Bronze Member
I don't mean to take any sides here, but as far as I've seen, SASP High Command has always promoted Internal Affairs complaints as a way to solve such problems.
This problem has both sides involved, I've seen many times SASP conduct illegal searches, but I've also seen many proper searches with evidence and reason behind the specific action, where the civillian involved just didn't want to accept the fact that SASP has the authority to do so in the current situation.
To sum up the three scenarios and give examples:
1. Arrest warrant - Police has provided evidence to the court of law and a judge has issued an arrest warrant. Police detains the suspect and arrests him.
2. Probable cause - Police has gathered evidence on scene for a specific crime against a specific person and arrests him on scene without an arrest warrant. I.E. Somebody evades the police, gets caught, they don't need arrest warrant because they have him on dashcam, evading the police.
3. Reasonable suspicion - Police has a reasonable suspicion, that can be PROVEN in court, to frisk someone. I.E. Cops pass by a house, hear gunshots inside, they've the reasonable suspicion to enter and frisk the whole house, plus the individuals. (If they can prove the gunshot, if they can't, that's illegal)
I want to add something that isn't used in RC:RP. In America, there's a difference between a frisk and a pat-down. Usually a frisk involves a full body search, while a pat-down is just a check for any sharp/metal items or guns. A pat-down might NOT find a small bag of marijuana for example, however it will most probably find any weaponry.
A police officer can perform a pat-down in ALMOST any situation, especially when he feels danger for his life.

Beth

Donator
Hawks said:
JayChris said:
Beth said:
Nice guide all the same

Yep, when we had the Soviet Connection the whole thing was overrun by raids, it got so annoying so we ended up moving to Bayside