What's new

[GUIDE] Grammar

Abrasive

Bronze Member
I will use this forever, despite knowing that it's wrong. Using an ellipsis or n-dash (or m-dash) may be grammatically accurate, but it looks sloppy and is not very reminiscent of actual dialogue. The dash-ellipsis combination is used to indicate your voice trailing off, and everyone gets that. If it works, looks aesthetically non-obtrusive (to the point to where few non-native speakers realize it's an issue), and garners widespread use, why get rid of it?

Maybe because there's a large amount of non-native English speakers in the community. I thought that at least providing a decent resource that I myself learned from could have a positive impact on improving their English. My thought of it was that the outside world isn't Red County RP and things like job apps or such aren't gonna accept 'RCRP dialect.' Back when I started out on the server (late 2013) I saw all these things being used as the norm and I adopted them as being correct. Since I was a kid I didn't actually find out they were 'wrong' until years later. When I posted the guide I saw it as a resource to people who wanted to improve themselves and how they played and not have to 'refresh' themselves later when the time called for it.

NickyW

Gold Member
Maybe because there's a large amount of non-native English speakers in the community. I thought that at least providing a decent resource that I myself learned from could have a positive impact on improving their English. My thought of it was that the outside world isn't Red County RP and things like job apps or such aren't gonna accept 'RCRP dialect.' Back when I started out on the server (late 2013) I saw all these things being used as the norm and I adopted them as being correct. Since I was a kid I didn't actually find out they were 'wrong' until years later. When I posted the guide I saw it as a resource to people who wanted to improve themselves and how they played and not have to 'refresh' themselves later when the time called for it.

I never said you were wrong; just that I prefer it because it looks better (to those who aren't bothered by the fact that its incorrect) and better conveys the idea of speech trailing off.

Abrasive

Bronze Member
I never said you were wrong; just that I prefer it because it looks better (to those who aren't bothered by the fact that its incorrect) and better conveys the idea of speech trailing off.

To each their own I guess. I just wanted to share a post I found useful (at least for me).

Nedim98

You better copy paste present simple, continous and past simple lol for those fools who don't know english grammar